Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default A thing of the past.....

Most of the discount airlines are weening themselves of the *dreaded Saturday overnight stay* to quote low fares, the paper stated today !!...Which, according to the article, the Big Boys,will be right behind them...For many travelers, this is great news, especially business people....For me, over the years, it has not been too much of a problem when I needed to fly..How about you??

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: A thing of the past.....

Trip,
It hasn't really been a problem - most of my flying was to get to a cruise port and already required the Sat. night stay.

Now that I live in FL, every port in this state is a short drive - no flights needed. And now that my new job doesn't require travel - still isn't a problem.

However, I do see where it was a problem for business travelers - airlines know that the business traveler is more likely to pay the high prices without searching. They know when and where they need to be and don't have much, if any, room for variance.

Jodi

Old March 15th, 2004, 08:08 AM
AR

Default Re: A thing of the past.....

Absolutely.

Actually, most of the low-fare boys have been going in this direction for a long time. When you consider that they're generally the only ones offering one-way fares that aren't outrageous, it autmatically means that the Saturday rule can't be in effect.

The majors (now known as the "legacy" airlines), will have to catch on soon to this and many other things that are dragging them into oblivion. They carry so much baggage (sorry) from their pasts that it's incredibly hard for them to change.

I was surprised and disappointed to see that the introductory fares from Ted (United's new low-cost offshoot--some genius got paid millions for thinking up the name) still require a Saturday night stay.

Very slow learners.