Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:38 PM
kernfam01

Default How much is enough cruise insurance?

Okay, another question. I need to know about cruise insurance. I found a good site, insuremytrip.com. There are 4 of us, me husband, 2 small kids 1 and4. What I am most concerned about is if we need to be evacuated off the ship in case of injury or sickness, but I know we need the other coverages. How do I decide on a policy. To be honest, I want the cheapest one, of course, but want assurance that my kids can get medical care if they need it. I've seen policies from $79 up to $300. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: How much is enough cruise insurance?

If you have triple A auto insurance or belong to AAA, you can get medical evacuation insurance for very little, about $30 as I recall. It's good for one full year.

In 15 cruises, we have never purchased cruise insurance of any kind. We saved a lot of money.
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to dawnrn1

Chuck,

Glad to hear someone else doesnt have insurance. there are 3 of us and it would be 300 extra and i could use for shopping and my husband for beer. i was starting to worry we were the only ones.

Dawn

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

What Chuck recommends is really "self insuring". You can save a fair amount of money "UNTIL" something goes wrong.

Get sick onboard and spend a few days in the infirmary and it can cost you $2000. Get sick and need to be hospitalized in a foreign port, and it can cost you several more $1000s of dollars.

Need medical evacuation by helipcopter and associated medical expenses and costs can be astronomical.

For an additional cost on a cruise of perhaps $100 or so, I certainly wouldn't risk it!!!

Do you also self insure your home, your car, your belongings, or even your health care at home?

Trip insurance is just like all other types of insurance you buy at home. You don't need it until something happens!!!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 19th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Kuki's advice is right on.

Insurance for a missed flight is bupkes compared to a long hospitalization, emergency surgery, lodgings for a cruise companion, perhaps a med-evac and that one thing nobody wants to think about "repatriation of remains."

Just make sure you have the coverage you want and that it covers all the people whom you wish to cover. (You may not be able to cover a "pal", for example.) Also if you travel with someone to whom you are not related, take signed powers of attorney authorizing one to order medical care for the other.

I cover all this, and a whole lot more (or it wouldn't be a book) in my new book, Happy Sails.