Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default HEY West Coasters.. and those who want to cruise the West Co

Told you I was in the midst of working on a west coast CruiseMates Group. Well.. here it is:

Celebrity Mercury
04/03/ 05

Sailing return from San Francisco Bay combined with the elegance and beauty of a cruise on board Celebrity Cruise Line’s Mercury will no doubt provide a sensational vacation, and a lifetime of memories!

Join your CruiseMates host Steve (Y2C) and many cruisemates friends, sharing fun, and laughter while sailing from one of America’s great cities!

Plan a pre-cruise night to enjoy some of the gastronomic delights of a city renowned for it’s world class dining.

The itinerary :

SFO

Monterey

Catalina Island

at sea

Cabo San Lucas

at sea

at sea

SFO

The details of this cruise will be up on a promo page VERY soon. But a hint.. inside cabins from 589, and balc cabins from $939.. including port etc.
And reduced deposits required for booking inside and outside cabins.

Old March 19th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: HEY West Coasters.. and those who want to cruise the Wes

Dilemas???

That's a good date for me because it is my spring break at school. I love the Mercury and SFO is pretty close for embarkation. The pricing is right but I can't say I'm wowed about the itinerary. Y2C is an interesting choice. As many times as we've locked horns, I'm thinking he might throw me overboard. Oh well maybe if I hold on tightly????? (Grins and Grimaces!) Hmmmmmm. We'll have to give this one some thought...

For those who do go, even the inside cabins on that ship are VERY nice. Also dine upstairs if you can, it is a great view from the balcony over the main dining room.
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:38 PM
SarahJ

Was hoping for the Diamond or Sapphire.
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:54 PM
L&S80

Mike.......there is always a method to your madness......I like it too!!! But just remember....we might go on that one.......<S> So think twice about it.......

Sharon

Old March 19th, 2004, 08:02 PM
SarahJ

Harry -- New Years on the Diamond Princess?
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Now you're talking Sarah J.
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:56 PM
susancruzs

Not what I had in mind either, an older ship and a cruise line I don't like! Well we asked for West Coast and got . . . . something.

Oh, well, I'll still go with Princess either Saphire or Diamond.

Susie
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Admiral

In the past we have done some Christmas and New Years cruises as CM cruises. The consensus from people who went on them was .. though they had a great time, they weren't sure it was worth the premium in cost. Most felt they could have the same great time, a couple of weeks prior or a week later for less money.

Christmas and New Years cruises are the two highest priced weeks of the year, and generally it's not easy to get decent group pricing on those sailings.

Combine that with the fact that brand new ships are generally higher priced in their first year, makes it a bit of a challenge.

All of that said, we have been diligently searching to see if there are any New Years sailings available, that aren't outrageously priced, that we can get group space on.

The industry has certainly spoiled us with their newbuild programs if 3, 4, and 5 year old ships are considered "OLD". <G>

Post Edited (03-19-04 19:59)
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:05 PM
SarahJ

Interesting -- All this hype amongst board members for the Diamond Princess, and you choose the Mercury. A ship I have not heard anyone mention recently.

New ships expensive the first year ?????? Diamond Princess on Dec 4th is $599 for inside and $1049 for minisuite RETAIL price.
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:08 PM
susancruzs

You're right about the age thing, Kuki! From me, who tells new comers don't worry about picking a ship built in the 90's!!! :-)

My problem is I just don't like Celebrity so even though Mercury is from 97, I had to vent and put that "old" tag on there!!!

Funny, too because I love the Royal Princess (84) and have always been a ssNorway fan!

Susie
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:18 PM
cruisinKandJ

People could be more polite. If you think a ship is too old to bother with, then be quiet and search for something else.

The other side of that, Kuki, is that they're certainly being honest!

As for old ships, not only do I enjoy the Royal Princess and sailed on an old 300-passenger Sun Lines tub, one of the most interesting cruises I have experienced, incidentally, we are about to sail of the 30-yr.old QE2 and very much looking forward to it.

Your job is a thankless one, Kuki, and I appreciate the efforts you make. Maybe a two-tier cruise is necessary: one for the cheapest deal crowd and one for the bunch that's flush.

J.
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I can say from personal experience that we LOVE the seldom hit Mexican ports. They are not to be missed.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Harry..
First off, I have always valued your being a part of the CruiseMates community, so that was never an issue.

There are many, many, many people who have (or would) volunteer to host our CruiseMates groups. There are equally as many, or more, who would volunteer to do my job (but it's taken<G>).

If you check the various message boards there are literally hundreds of posts saying.. I've booked XYZ cruise, such and such a date, could you make it a CruiseMates group cruise, and add to those hundreds more who e mail me with the same sorts of requests.

It's simply not possible to listen to everyone's voice! Because even if you try to, you'll find people who want to go, but can only go two weeks later, or a month before, or it's more than they care to spend, or.......

In the past I have posted polls asking what ship or cruise people would like to see as CruiseMates group cruises. What we'd get is 30 posts with 40 different opinions.

So, what we try and do now is work with knowlegable cruise agents who suggest sailings which are available at good values, and which they think will attract the largest demand.
And the proof of what people want is demonstrated by what they'll spend their hard earned vacation dollars on.

So agents suggest particular cruises, and when we see some that meet most of our criteria, they are put out for bids, to try and be certain we are getting the best deals we can. I have input into which cruises we do, but I don't make the selections. It's done in conjunction with the agents.

It's really just not as simple as seeing 6 people who say they want to go on such and such a ship, and putting it together. Experience tells us, that of the 6, 3 wont be able to go for some reason.

I started our group cruise program when the site began, to help build a spirit of community; to give the members of the community the opportunity to meet and cruise together and become even more a "part of cruisemates". The staff are integral part of what makes the site what it is, and that's why we want one of them hosting our groups. Too carry the banner, so to speak (sometime literally <G>)

It's really all about the continuing good health of the community.

There are many people who have met at CruiseMates, or through CruiseMates, and organize to go on cruises together as well. They're just as happy cruising with their own 5 or 6 friends as going with a larger cruisemates group, and that's just fine too.

Old March 19th, 2004, 11:02 PM
SarahJ

Why don't you ask the board - "We are looking at a West Coast group cruise - which of these 3 ships/itinairies would you prefer" and then receive input and book the cruise according to that. I have searched the boards tonight and can't find anyone saying they are interested in a West Coast on the Mercury when many have stated they want to try the Diamond and Sapphire Princess. Instead of listening to agents, why don't you poll the board with a few choices and see what they want. This would seem the most logical to me.
Old March 19th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Kuki, I just wish this was your first post.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 19th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry for the commercial interruption here, folks, but I think a few children might need their naps.

We have been, or more accurately Kuki has been, planning CruiseMates cruises for 4 1/2 years now and I feel he has a pretty good idea of what will be successful and what won't. Unfortunately, what a few people express about their desire for a cruise is not always enough to persuade Kuki that the overall concept will appeal to enough people to make it qualify as a "group" cruise. If we can't get a minimum number of people the cruise will fail.

Kuki works hard to get bids from different agents to find a cruise that is appealing enough in price, ship and destination (all 3 combined) to be successful. If one of the exotic itineraries had been more competitive he would have picked it.

Those of you who want to go on a different West Coast cruise are more than welcome to go, no one is required to go on this one. I hope you can find one at a decent price even though Kuki couldn't.

I must say that it DOES matter who has seniority on the CruiseMates staff when it comes to selecting the host for the cruise. If we decided to choose hosts based on ad hoc popularity contests in any one message board we would never be able to make sure everyone on the staff gets what they deserve: a fair turn at hosting based upon the amount of time they have been on the staff. We try very hard to base our staff decisions on merit.

Don't worry Harry. You are still a young staffer and this was not your cruise but you will get yours. And when you do you can have a lot of input as to where it is going. Many people on our staff have waited years to get on a cruise as a host (we have a pretty big staff and only a handful of cruises every year).

Old March 20th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Guys, lets all agree to disagree. Sometimes one's ego gets in the way of decision making. The fact is that this cruise is only luke warm in many people's eyes and Harry would have been the obvious choice for host I.M. H.O. I agree with Paul that it is time for us all to take a nap and revisit this less than earth shattering decision another day.

Nighty night all!

Sleep Tight!

Post Edited (03-19-04 23:05)
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Admiral

I agree with Kuki. From my experience of trying to arrange a family reunion cruise for about 10 people all I got was a dumpster full of grief. "Why not this ship?", "Why not that week?", "Why not this, Why not that?" blah, blah, blah.

Book it or don't go. It's simple.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:48 PM
SharB

May I say something?

The last Cruisemates cruise on the Pride to Mexico was wonderful and I'm sure a lot more people would have attended if they could have. Our hosts Mike L and Dyanna were very much fun but didn't have personal time to "tout" the cruise nor arrange for events on board. As it turned out, Harry was the one who pulled us together - I'm sure most of you remember our postings on the Cruisemates Cruises board. He was the one who spent most the time talking to the TA and asking for updates.

I understand the seniority issue and the price issue for the Mercury cruise (by the way, I LOVE HER!) and also understand everyone's disappointment. I also have issues that I prefer not to bring up - sooo...

Hopefully, some of you will show up on the Diamond's New Years cruise on the 29th, if you do, look me up!

Shar
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Chuck.. and this thread demonstrates one of the great things about CruiseMates!

No doubt on most other message boards this thread would have been GONE, history, deleted, for the sake of "cleansing" the board to make it appear to be free of any sort of disgreements, or animosity.

We're totally confident that "as a site" and "as a community" , we are fair, friendly, helpful and honest enough in our opinions, and our desire to help fellow cruisers, that disagreement doesn't change any of that.

Post Edited (03-20-04 12:18)
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Admiral

I think enough has been said by me on this topic. Suffice to say I see it different than some. And besides: "He who pays the piper calls the tune." Let's all move on although we may disagree.
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Admiral

I promised the Lord last night I would not respond to any further posts on this thread after Paul's note and request.

I will focus on the board on which I moderate, and nothing more for awhile.

Good bye

Harry

Post Edited (03-20-04 22:30)

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: HEY West Coasters.. and those who want to cruise the

Post Edited (04-01-04 11:48)

[b]Get Lei'd!