Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Tradition:)

Last week, I was making something for dinner, and I ran out of mayonaisse...i called my daughter, who was coming for the weekend, and I asked her to bring some down, and I would replace it for her..I said, "its Hellmans, right?"..she said NO!!. its Costco's brand... it tastes the same... Shocked,I said never mind, I would pick some up...I was amazed she had not carried on this 3 genertion tradition....!!! I know I have carried on many from my Mother..Like when I bought coffee, it was MaxwellHouse, and hand soap was Lux..She is so young to have strayed so far... I know this is crazy but... How about you..Do you still use products, from when you were a kid.....Trip
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Tradition:)

Nope!!!! I experiment and find what products I like - nothing is sacred!

Old March 21st, 2004, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Actually, not ...

First, I am not known to be particularly brand-loyal except for computers and cars

Second many of the products (when was the last time you saw Bon Ami cleanser?) are not still around.

Where I grew up (midwest) Miracle Whip was "mayonnaise."

It just could be that the Costco brand IS Hellman's. Years (and years and years) ago, I was engaged to a guy in the food industry. First of all, the would use the best produce to fill their own label (Hanover Guest Quality), then they would pack for Del Monte using second tier stuff, and finally "private label" as for A&P.

Remember the old scams about Sears products -- washers were really Whirlpool, carpeting was really Karastan, etc? Not. They were produced on the same lines or looms by the same people but to different standards and specifications.
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I am brand loyal when it comes to paper products - tissues, napkins, paper towels, tp- but I will try something new for other items and if I don't like it, just go back to what I know.

I grew up on Miracle Whip - now I use Hellmans - real mayonaise.

Jodi

Old March 21st, 2004, 05:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

My favorite cereal is still Cheerios - I have been eating them for years and years - I try other cereals, but Cheerios are still a standard with me. I have developed my own traditions with other food products that I'm loyal to and recipes that I've passed down to my children, nieces and nephews.
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:12 PM
First Mate

The only tradition I stuck to was CBS soap opera's.

Old March 21st, 2004, 08:04 PM
cruisinKandJ

Nothing carried over to date except for Kraft's Mayonnaise. I do have my faves, though, and my husband used to get lectured if he brought home something different. Now I just tell him if the store doesn't have the fave, leave it til next time.

J.
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Miracle Whip WAS mayonnaise when I grew up, and still is. One other brand-loyalty is to Salada tea, no other kind will do, and that includes the dishwater they serve as tea on cruise ships!

donna

Old March 21st, 2004, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Donna, i'm surprised you don't like Red Rose..up by your way its in those lineny type bags... they are different down here...I drink so much tea, that my tastebuds become inmmune to the taste, and i have to switch around.....)Trip
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:26 AM
Admiral

I only use QSC amplifiers in my sound systems. And my father had Wharfedale loudspeakers, and I've now added them to my "stuff", 30 years later.

Aside from that, I buy whatever is good and cheap, like me.

Post Edited (03-22-04 00:28)

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:37 AM
Admiral

Trip, I'm with you! Hellmann's is the ONLY mayonaisse and I believe I've passed this tradition down to my kids. Although, I'm pretty sure that Jackie buys "light" mayo......not quite the same in my opinion.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:20 AM
Admiral

I am brand loyal on some things but not all. I've been trying to cut costs by buying generics lately, and they're usually the same.

Pam - I use Bon Ami cleanser. It's available down here, at least.

And UGH, I try to stay away from mayonnaise and all its variations! Ick!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM
joto

Originally from the UK, so try and find Brit products here. There is not a store nearby that sells mainly British products. There is a lot of UK/USA products that are the same or very similar that I can find in the local supermarkets, ie: Heinz ketchup, Hellmans mayonnaise, Tetley teabags, Nescafe instant coffee, some Kraft products, Cadbury's creme eggs that are made in UK. Cadburys bar chocolate is made by Hershey and does not taste like the British Cadbury's at all, so I give that a miss. There is a lot of food here labelled "gourmet" that is nothing special or tastes any better than pretty ordinary, everyday food in UK. We have tried to adapt our favourite recipes to what is available here, and also try a whole new lot of recipes. If we go to UK or friends come here we have a shopping list of our favourite products. We have found there is a lot of things that we like here after giving them a try. I've found that there is some items that are better here and some items better in UK.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Gram quickly became the Queen of the Store's Own Brand's back when our kids were small and our income was the same .
Later in life I worked for a large food company whose primary business was the production of local and stores own brand foods. I can tell you this from real experience. In many cases the stores own brands are as good as( and sometimes even better than) the name brands. Why? Because the companies that make them need to satisfy the quality standards of many chains of stores . The quality teams from each chain inspect the products and the facilities that make them and often hold the manufacturers to higher standards than even the name brands.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
Yeoman

Very little brand loyalty here, I do stick to Hienz catshup now as my son says the cheap brands taste " vinegary" and we did a taste test and he was right!
We buy whats cheapest, as long as the quality is ok , which in most( not all ) cases it is.

Miarcle Whip is still mayo in our house, but I use real mayo for myself( kids hate it) .

I only drink Tetley Tea, never, never, cheap out on my tea, as there is a definate difference to me in taste. Cheap teas taste like dishwater!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:12 AM
Admiral

Like others here, to me only Miracle Whip constitutes real mayo. If a recipe uses real mayo, don't tell me and I won't care. But on a sandwich, it better be Miracle Whip.

A side note: Ketchup does not belong on hotdogs! It's fine on hamburgers and fries but on dogs and sausages, it's sacrilegous! You can otherwise decorate the dog with whatever you wish except sweet relish or chili with beans. But the inviolable art of coney construction requires that the ingredients be stacked in the proper sequence,
with onions being the second to the last installation. The onions must then be covered with mustard to avoid the wrath of the hotdog cuisine police--of whom I am the chief!

Beyond that, no real brand loyalties, except in regards to soap. I gotta have Palmolive or Lifebuoy. Other brands either give me a rash or leave me feeling unrinsed. I even carry my own when I travel.

Steve

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Pete & Sandy

Couldn't help but reply. I once read a story about a mother who was teaching her daughter to cook. When she made the roast she would cut it in half and place it in two pans. When the daugher asked about this she said it was the way her mother had made pot roast and it was the best. The daughter then asked her grandmother why she did this. Her grandmother said it was because she never had one pan that was big enough. Goes to show you that tradition sometimes just grows from necessity and means different things to different people. Maybe Hellman's was the only mayo that the store carried. Just a thought. I'm more into traditions that mean something, mayo doesn't mean anything to me, I value my relationships more. Hope I didn't step on any toes.

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Tradition:)

My mom has told me that very story. Mainly because I have to cut my roasts in half to make them fit in my tiny crock pot (and because there are only two of us, and we don't want to be eating leftover roast for a week.)

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old March 24th, 2004, 03:33 PM
aunt maude

Good ole Dukes mayo here.