Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:00 PM
venice

Default universal studios

I posted on the Disney site but thought it might be useful to post here also. My girlfriend and her 8 year daughter and her sister and 6 year old daughter are cruising disney to the western caribbean on easter week. Their return flight does not leave untill 8 at night back to New Orleans. They are thinking about doing a day trip to Universal Studios (they've done the Disney Park scene several times) and she asked me to go online to do some research so I'm asking for some help
-has anyone done this before ?
-I understand it's about 1 1/2 hours from the port to the airport, how far is it from the port to universal studios or asked another way, how far is it from the airport to universal studios and is there public transportation between both places and about how much
-is it possible to purchase universal tickets in advance and are they still giving active military discounts ?

my gut tells me they are trying to bite off more than they can chew but I understand being stuck with the 2 girls in the airport all day

any suggestions how they can fill the day with 2 very active girls ? thanks for everyone's help in advance
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: universal studios

Out of Port Canaveral you are looking at about an hour to the airport. Universal is about 20 mins from airport. Public transportation available, but I would take a taxi. I don't know how much.

I live in Orlando and cruised out of PC and made it home in about 1.5 hrs (I lived past airport and dropped off someone else). You have time to do this, but I would see what you could do about being in the first group to debark. Universal is great, but a closer, possible better time-wise could be Sea World. Yes, you can buy tickets in advance to either park. If you haven't been to Universal go there, but understand that you won't have enough time to do/see everything.

Jodi

Old March 21st, 2004, 09:22 PM
venice

Default Re: Re: universal studios

thanks for the response
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:26 PM
Passenger

We were at Universal Studios in November and had a great time. There is a great web site called Disboards.com that has lots about Disney but one part of it is devoted to Universal Studios and I got tons of information there.

Have fun and be sure to go on Spiderman at Islands of Adventure. It is the BEST!
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:36 PM
venice

Default Re: Re: universal studios

thanks for the tip to the website, I'll share with my girlfriend the information
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Carole Soule

Hi,
We live in Florida and have been to Universal many times. The park is open from 9:00 am to 7:00pm daily. Sea World and Universal are very close to each other. Get your discount tickets thru AAA. and save more. We like the Universal movie park better. The Islands of Adventure has long lines, & if the weather is bad they close down the rides
:>(
If you are in the area of Cape Kennedy, do that one. It is very educational and fun. lots of space info. if the children are old enought to understand.
I would not take a taxi as it is maybe 60 miles from the cruise port to Orlando, big $$$. Rent a car for the day or ask the travel agent the best options.
Hope this helps
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I meant take a taxi from airport to universal - not from PC. I assumed you already have that transportation taken care of.

Old March 24th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Admiral

The car rental is probably the best bet - you can actually rent one right from the pier where you disembark and you drop it off at the airport. Check out a few web sites (I think the pick up point was called Cocoa Beach) Make sure you have a few dollars for the tools though - lots of those on the roads. Universal was wonderful but the lines were long for the rides. The kiddies area had some interesting areas as well. We actually stopped at Fort Christmas on the way into Orlando (we were staying on for a few days) it was really interesting and Free - they even let me pick an orange - a thrill for a Canadian eh! It had a picnic sight and play area for the kids and the buildings were interesting to explore - I think it was less than 1/2 from Orlando. Hope your friend has a great trip - Jennifer