Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Admiral

Default Cure for low Iron count?

Our daughter has always had very low iron and at age 1 had to have a blood transfusion. The last few month before she gave birth her count again was very low and she has to take 2 pills a day.They had told her last week at the hospital she was very border line again. Yesterday they checked again and told her is is even lower and might need another blood transfusion. This morning when I checked on her and the baby as I always do she looked very very pale to me.
I know spinach has a lot of iron but what else could I do to boast her levels? If I remember right Rays wife Helen encountered similar problems right?

Any help, tips, suggestions is greatly welcomed.Thanks!

Old July 9th, 2004, 07:41 AM
AR

Default Re: Cure for low Iron count?

Has she asked a doctor?
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Richard Lewis Send a message via MSN to Richard Lewis

My first wife was the same way. We discovered that artichokes were the answer. We started eating them about 2 or 3 time a week and her iron count came up to normal and didn't need any supplements at all. You can eat artichokes raw with a little oil and vinegar, or steam them, and have them with oil and balsamic vinegar. You eat just the lower, tender part of the segments. When you get to the hairy bit in the center, just cut the "hair" off the heart and you have the nice tender heart left. It makes my mouth water just writing about it. They are quite good, but you may need to "develope a taste" for them. enjoy

R

Star Princess Sept 1/04 - Mediterranean
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Here's a website I found that has some good information.

Could you give her a bran cereal for breakfast? Bran is high in iron. Leafy green vegetables are good too. So is liver, but I personally wouldn't enjoy that remedy.

Hope she feels better soon. And you too! I know you are under a lot of anxiety and stress right now. Remember, it's all in God's hands!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old July 9th, 2004, 08:25 AM
VTJen

As I am dealing with an iron deficiency at present there is more to it than just eating certain foods. I suggest she speak with her doctor and also do a search on line in regard to anemia. The best sources of protein are from red meat. It is true that spinach and legumes (beans) have iron, but sometimes the fiber in these items interfer with the absorbtion of the iron, spinach also contains something that negates most of the iron benefit. It is also important that you take vitamin C while trying to boost your iron.

It is complicated and the best way to approach it is with a doctor as well as learning ad muc info as possible on your own and bringing that info with you to the doctor.

I truly feel for her, and you. Please make sure she gets her blood level tested. I now have to have mine test about monthly. Just had another last week, no gain, still in the low nines, should be at the lowest 11 but better if it is closer to 15. After birth of daughter I need 4 transfusions and 2 with birth of son.

Just learning about the b vitamins and deficiencies on those can also contribute to anemia - so docs now have me on B12, B2 and B6 along with the vitamin C. We'll see if the added b's help raise it higher.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep me posted, I offer you all the support I can give.

a very anemic VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Admiral

along with talking to her doctor maybe you should consult a nutritionist? I know that the staple for iron is red meat and calves liver
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cure for low Iron count?

Thanks for all the ideas and input! Lisa she did talk to a nutritionist yesterday..I think I will make her lots of red meat and buy her some vitamins as VTJEN had suggested. Michelle I will check on that web site Thanks!
R ..artichokes I like them not sure if she does..how about the ones that are in a glass jar? Are they just as beneficial? <SP?> Thanks!

Old July 9th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Sue,

Helen had a very low blood count. 2 units of Blood brought her count back up to Normal. And she too, was low on Iron. I prepared several meals of Liver, which has a bundance of Iron, and she is now normal. Maybe this information will help.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Once again, our wonderful cruisemates family comes through with help and support! You guys are wonderful!

donna