Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Default Did you go to summer camp?

When I was a kid we all watched Mickey Mouse Club and wanted to go away to a sleep
away camp with horses and rodeo stuff like Spin and Marty.
The closest we came ( keep in mind I was from the inner city , South Bronx) was to go to a day camp for 4 weeks in the summer where they had a pool and we ate outdoors on picnic tables.
Did you go to camp as a kid? Day camp or sleep away? How did you feel about it. Did you like it or feel like you were being shipped off for the summer?
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Did you go to summer camp?

I never went to a true camp but 1 week of the summer a cousin the same age and I were allowed to go to a lake where my aunt and uncle had a cabin. Fishing at day break and swimming in the afternoon were wonderful days I'll never forget.

[img]
NCL
Norwegian Gem
June 04
Adventure of the Sea
Old March 26th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Shipbound

I went to summer camp when I was seven years old which was the year before I had open heart surgery(1960). The time at summer campwas some of the best times that I ever had.

Gary
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:19 PM
MichelleM

I went 2 summers. One year for 2 weeks to Girl Scout camp and the other for 1 week to SpaceCamp in florida. Two completely different experiencs but both were great.
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

No, but we did go to Boston for a few weeks for a couple of summers. My mom's sister lived there and she had 5 kids and there were 4 of us.......it was a big old house in Brookline and lots of fun. I remember the freedom of hopping on the trolley and going to see the Red Sox. We seemed to go to Brighams a lot for ice cream.
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Admiral

I went to summer camp 4 years straight. I was supposed to go a 5th year, but my sister got scarlet fever. I got quarantined, as far as the camp was concerned. Never went again.

First night, first year, I got homesick. But by the night we had our final campfire, I had tears in my eyes over leaving. The camp is still there. I drove through it a few years ago.
It now abuts a housing development and the lake has silted in, but all the cabins and the rec-hall are still intact.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 And again!
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I went to day camp for a couple of years...Went on great day trips, and met lots kids....I was too much of a baby to try sleep away camp.. Trip
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:44 PM
cruisinKandJ

I went to a bible study camp for a week. I think I went two years in a row.

J.
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Admiral

The first sleep-away summer camp I attended was for only 2 weeks when I was 8 yrs. old. The first night there, I was too scared to find my way to the faraway bathrooms, so I wet the bed. I was so embarrassed, but my best friend, Audrey, helped me change the sheets and make the bed before anyone else found out. For the following 3 years, my parents sent me to camps which were for the whole summer. Had some really fun experiences - but was always homesick.
Cindy

Old March 26th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Never went to camp as a kid, don't think I even knew such a thing existed (my mom was the quintessential stay-at-home mom, always keeping us occupied)
However, as a teen and young adult interested in early childhood education, I spent many summers employed as a camp counselor at day camps, and have many happy memories from those days. Weird thing was, some of the 5 and 6 year olds I had as campers, grew up and became counselors themselves and eventually had my own children as their charges!

donna