Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to richleeds
Default real BIG princess problem - help!

Hi

We booked a cruise on Caribbean Princess with www.icruise.com

As we are in the UK and will take an 11 hour flight to get to Fort Lauderdale, we have back to backed the cruise as 1 week after such a long flight isnt enough.

We are going on the 5th June then staying on for the 12th June.

We made sure with our icruise agent that we had the same cabin for both weeks, we dont want to have to pack our bags after the first week to transfer to a different cabin on ship - we dont need the hassle!

So we asked twice to confirm the same cabin was available, we have it in writing from icruise and we also have 2 x confirmation emails from icruise with a confirmed cabin number and it is the same for both weeks.

However we have just checked our reservations on the princess website and we are showing a different cabin for week 2

It might not bother many people but for us after 11 hour flight, plus 6 hour drive from our house to London Heathrow to catch the flight, plus adjusting to a USA time zone etc - we just want to chill and re packing and then unpacking half way through our holiday will just spoil it 100%

Also for the second week, we have been put in a 'non converting twin'.

We have just called princess (icruise is closed) and they said that when we booked the cruise (which was 4 days ago) there were no cabins on BE deck that were available for the 2 weeks so icruise should not have offered this to us.

What do we do?

Princess say that cabins are availalbe for 2 weeks in higher catergory balconies. should icruise upgrade us and pay the difference - what if they refuse?

Any help would be great

This is starting to take the shine off our cruise

thanks

rich and kirsty

Post Edited (04-04-04 17:28)
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: real BIG princess problem - help!

Frankly I wld simply get hold of ICruise and threaten to 'sue' for breach of contract if they don't straighten this out & let Princess know too - doesn't hurt to include them in a lawsuit - not something they want - expensive & the bad publicity isn't wanted either. Interesting that they just happen to 'have' higher grade - read 'more expensive' - accom available??? Had a similar thing happen (also on Princess I might add) when we booked a mini-suite with a # and Prin. sold it twice (at least that's what our agent told us but I wasn't so sure) so we got an upgrade to a suite ..Hoping this helps & happy cruisin' maybe!!
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:28 PM
SarahJ

I am sure your agent can work this out by simply asking. Threatening to sue will just make people defensive.

As far as non-convertible twins --this is a bug in Princess system. Many people are reporting this showing up under cruise personalizer.
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: real BIG princess problem - help!

We will ask and I really hope they say 'sorry our mistake, lets put it right for you and get you a cabin for 2 weeks, if we have to upgrade you then we will cover this cost'

If that is the response then great, but its always good to know what we can do if they say 'tough'

Week 1 does say queen bed but week 2 in the different cabin says non converting twin, I guess though that is a side issue, the main issue is having to change cabin half way through

regards

rich and kirsty

Old April 4th, 2004, 06:45 PM
SharB

I'd recommend calling Princess again and explain your situation. Do it more than once until you get the answer you're looking for (since you'll likely get different people each time you call) just tell them what you've told us, but don't put them in a defensive posture. I'll bet they come through for you.

Best wishes!

Shar
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

And come back and tell us how you made out....Good luck.....Trip
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:07 PM
AR

Yes, please don't "lead" with the lawsuit threat.

Chances are overwhelming that if you're firm but patient you'll do well.
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Admiral

I've always had success with politely asking to speak with the person's boss if you don't get the ansser you want. I sure hope either Princess or your TA comes thru for you.

Good luck!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Captain

I hope they get the room straightened out for you, however if you still take the cruise and do have to change rooms talk to the room steward. You will NOT have to pack everything to move it to the next room. Put as much as you can on hangers and they will move them that way the whole bar of hangers. You than only have to pack the loose items. Yes it is still packing but it does save some work and time by having as much as possible on hangers.

We have done this quite a few times.
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Admiral

it sounds like the problem is at icruise and not at Princess. If icruise sold you a cabin that wasn't available that's their fault, especially if they waited to book the cabin. Call them and if it is the case, they should pay for the upgrade not you. Let them straighten it out with Princess for you.
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Rooms are generally not "sold" twice. Often what happens is that a room is put on hold by a TA for a customer. This is only done for a certain number of days (and that period is getting shorter at many cruiselines). Whether the passenger or TA is at fault, often the payment does not arrive at the cruise line until after the hold has been lifted. The room is then available in general inventory and gets sold "again" and rightfully so if payment is not received..
The case here sounds like what might have happened was the desired cabin came off hold and the second week was immediately sold. Princess and the TA at least booked the customer two back to back weeks.
Customer, did you pay in time?, If yes then you have a definate gripe with the TA for not remitting your money . Make them show you the remittance to Princess.
If you and the TA paid in time then the gripe moves to Princesss.
If of course you did not remit on time, then you have no gripe at all.
On the practical side of things, will moving your room "ruin your vacation 100%".
I think not. With the help of a steward I would think perhaps you could get set up in a new room in an hour, maybe two. Is that truly going to ruin a two week cruise vacation 100%? I think not.
Let us know the final outcome and who , if anyone, admits to fault.
In the meantime, relax, you are going on a two week cruise vacation. This is but a small speed bump in the road.
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: real BIG princess problem - help!

Hi

Firstly a big THANK YOU to everyone above who has offered advice, it really is appreciated.

This is what seems to have happened. We paid as soon as we made the reservation via icruise.com then Princess charged our amex card.

However it seems that instead of Princess taking $500 deposit for week 1 and then $500 deposit for week 2 they took $1000 from the amex card and put it towards the cost of week 1 only by mistake, which meant on the Princess system there was no deposit showing against the cabin for week 2 - so it was released again and picked up by another cruiser.

So the outcome is that we have now got a cabin for the whole 2 weeks so we are really happy and we have also had a little upgrade - from a BE to a BD grade.

I think the only difference between the cabins is we are now a deck higher, but its still an upgrade and we are more than happy!

Thanks once again

Regards

Rich and Kirsty

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Congrats, now enjoy that cruise 125% (the extra 25% being for the rest of us).
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Admiral

I would recommend calling icruise and tell them what you found on the Princess web site and see if they can verify what Princess is showing. Let icruise have the opportunity to fix the problem if possible. If the agent you speak with can't help, go up the food chain. Keep going up the food chain until you get the person who can work it out for you.

I've found in most all corporations there are hundreds of people who can say "no" but only 2 people who can say "yes." You need to find those two people.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Yeoman

Have a great cruise and I'm glad it worked out for you. I don't know if you have been to the US before, but we want it to be a positive experience for you!

Old April 6th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Admiral

I'm glad it worked out for you - thanks for coming back and updating us on how it turned out!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Go directly to i-cruise. Tell them that they have to straighten this out immediately. Since you have everything in writing, they are liable if you don't get what you want.

I also suggest that you contact your credit card company to see if you can withhold payment in the event you aren't satisfied.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.