CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   FYI - Norwegian Cancels Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/268106-fyi-norwegian-cancels-cruises.html)

Carole and Johnny April 6th, 2004 01:35 PM

FYI - Norwegian Cancels Cruises

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE dropped the Norwegian Star's Fanning Island calls on the ship's final four Hawaii itineraries and canceled its repositioning cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver on May 2 because of problems with its azipod propulsion system. The ship can sail at 18 knots, NCL said, but it cannot reach the 25-knot speed necessary to sail to Fanning Island. The April 4, 11, 18 and 25 voyages were revised; each will sail an all-Hawaii itinerary instead. The line also canceled the May 2 cruise in order to send the Star to drydock early for repairs to the propulsion system. Passengers booked on that cruise will receive a full refund, a future cruise credit worth 25% of their fare and applicable airline change fees.

Thomas April 6th, 2004 02:29 PM

Re: FYI - Norwegian Cancels Cruises

Those azipod systems have really been troublesome for a lot of ships.

Regards,
Thomas

susus April 6th, 2004 03:14 PM

Do you think this ship will be fixed by June 6...Alaska????

MichelleM April 6th, 2004 04:29 PM

I'm impressed they are paying for airline change fees too. Haven't seen any other cruiseline do that unless the airfare was booked thru them. Really sucks for the people on the cancelled sailing but what can you do when the ship is broken it is broken.

Thomas April 6th, 2004 06:23 PM

What really sucks is those people who booked air fare themselves and got non-refundable tickets. They will have to go to the port and sit for 7 days.

Regards,
Thomas

SarahJ April 6th, 2004 06:27 PM

Princess often pays the $100 nonrefunable part to change the flight. This is not uncommon.

fasteddie April 7th, 2004 05:57 AM

Another example why you should get Travel Insurance!

Ed

Auguste April 7th, 2004 09:14 AM

Oh Thomas my laugh of the day LOL
Well if they sit in Honolulu for 7 days, it will not be so bad, but how to get to Vancouver, that is the question haha
Auguste

3FOB5Paradise April 7th, 2004 07:58 PM

Hrm...built in Germany, with ABB propulsion, but I am wondering if they used the actual ABB azipods or Alsom Mermaids or the Siemens pods.....if it is ABB it would be interesting, as I only know of the Paradise having a problem that required a fix in her and Elation........but the Alstom Mermaids used on Celebrity have had problems before....

Post Edited (04-07-04 20:10)