Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Risk Free Tastings

Have you ever ordered something on a cruise that you would NEVER, NEVER, order in a land restaurant....I know, I know , there's no risk, to do so on a ship...BUT, if you have never tasted pheasant before, would you even think to give it a try...? French night always gives me trouble I did it once, trying to expand my taste buds a bit, and ordered..of all things, poached halibut...<lordy> what was I thinking?
Trip
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:11 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Risk Free Tastings

Hi:
I don't like any type of seafood, but on one cruise, I ordered lobster, just to see what the fuss was about. I thought oh well, if I don't like it, I can always get a steak and that's just what happened. But now at least I know for sure, I don't like lobster. I have an Alaskan cruise booked for this summer and I hear there's a seafood buffet on deck.....I think it will be wasted on me, but maybe my DH will try it. My husband tried calamari one time to see if he liked it, but he didn't. My son tried escargot and said once was enough. On a cruise is a really good time to try foods you don't usually eat. I've never had a problem getting something different if I didn't like what was served at dinner. Cruise #31 and #32 booked for this year. Wish they would hurry up and get here.
Happy Cruising......Anita
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Admiral

That's part of why I love to cruise... to try new foods I normally wouldn't. I attempt to try something new on each cruise.

A cruise was the first place I had escargot and I loved it! Now I've even ordered it in land-based restaurants. Before a cruise I would never even considered ordering such a thing.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 15th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Nancy M.

I've tried escargot on a cruise and really liked it. Last cruise I had frog legs which I also liked. I did have to laugh when hubby remarked that he had seen a poor frog in a wheelchair with no legs going down the promenade deck! (Guess who DIDN'T try either of the above!!!!!) Nancy
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have a story to share about food that will amuse you;

The company I work for sponsors a users group meeting, March 2000 it was 2 days after Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Well we had 3 intensive days of work and the last day was a Saturday. One of our users said we just had to try some famous seafood place so I was in the middle of a group of 14. I ordered barbaque shrimp which I had never had before and being from the midwest not very familiar with seafood dishes I figured I like shrimp and I like barbaque how could it go wrong? Well after an hour wait for our food I was really hungry and the waitress began serving. She sat down in front of me a plate of 6 shrimp about 8 inches long if you include the whiskers, which were still there.
Now my idea of shrimp is more like shrimp cocktail or fried shrimp. It took my appetite away tearing this thing apart that barely looked dead. I chocked this meal down and didnt enjoy it at all, then the bill came and lets just say I paid about $10 per shrimp it was a lesson well learned about ordering things your not sure of.

[img]
NCL
Norwegian Gem
June 04
Adventure of the Sea
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Admiral

i always look for new foods to try on a cruise. It was on a cruise that i had my first taste of Grouper, MahiMahi and Duck a L'Orange. We took the kids for the first time on our last cruise (2/14/04) and my son was really into trying the different foods.
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Risk Free Tastings

Lisa, your reference to grouper reminded me of a food/cruise story.
We ate in a land restaurant on Virgin Gorda during one cruise and I had Grouper for dinner. Grouper can get VERY big , although they are not aggressive .If you meet a big one under water it can startle you. The next day we were snorkeling at Peter Island and rounded a large rock and coral formation. Well, there in front of me was a grouper that must have been 250 or 300 pounds. My only thought was, I hope he doesn't smell his little brother in my body odor!!!.
For those of you who have tried dishes like lobster and Calimari on a cruise ship, you are missing something. Frozen overcooked dried out lobster is not the same as fresh whole live Maine lobster, and nice fresh squid, batter dipped and fried ,served with a nice marinara sauce for dipping into is yummy. Nothing like the frozen rubber tenticles you'll get on a cruise ship.
Escargot is one of those things I cannot eat. Irefuse to eat anything that can be found on my front lawn.
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Passenger

It will be interesting to try something new on our upcoming cruise. I've already tried pheasant, escargot, calimari, lobster, halibut. If it is seafood, chances are i've already had it before. Living here in Seattle, fresh seafood is not hard to come by at all. Although I remember the time during my senior year summer I was in Spain. I had ordered Paella. It is a rice dish with fresh seafood and spices in it. Well I did not realize at the time they did not shell the shrimp or other seafood. I took a mouthfull of rice and had a shrimp antenna sticking out my mouth . I spit it out thinking it was a cockroach or something. Scared the crud out of me.....lol.

I hope they have something on the menu I haven't tried before. But i'm sure they will.

TK

Old April 15th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Admiral

When I was a kid, my girlfriend's Father had removed the flag stone from his patio...It was the first day of school, and it was a very hot morning, and my girlfriend and I were up early..How or where we got this idea. I don't know, we went over to the patio area, and saw snails...and poured salt on them and watched them melt away...ewwwww..!!
I will NEVER ever, ever, try escargot....Trip....<who was really a very good child>
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Admiral

I decided to try the rack of Lamb in the specialty restaurant on the Infinity, and found that I love it. It's nothing like the lamb (probably mutton) that my mom used to serve once in a while.

I've also tried the escargot and a few other things that I now enjoy. I will eat the calamari rings, but no way am I putting one of those little octopus like things in my mouth.

I still can't get up the nerve to eat sushi, although my husband loves it.

Phyll

Old April 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Lizzie Borden had mutton on the day she killed her Father, and Step Mother....Nuff said..
Trip>VBG>
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

<<<<<BTW: If you have to put mint jelly on the lamb, it's mutton.>>>>>
I'm sorry but i happen to like mint jelly and although i don't eat lamb that much i would never consider requesting it as an insult to the chef and i hope the chef wouldn't feel insulted.
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Admiral

As some CruiseMates will attest, I am a foodie. If it holds still, I'm eating it.

My biggest mistake was three servigs of caviar on Song of Flower. To say that I "overdid" is to put it mildly.

Old April 16th, 2004, 12:46 AM
First Mate

I tried escargot on my first cruise (telling myself that if I ever wanted to be on fear factor or survivor then I would have to learn to eat stuff like that). I manage to eat 2 of the 8 served. Next trip my two teens went and order it and they loved it. Go figure.