Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Default Wanna see my package?

I know I am an extremist, when it comes to cruising, but I also have other interests…What about you? Cruising isn’t the whole package… what other interests do you have?

I collect paintings. I have over 20 of them. Most of a marine artist, and an artist who paints moonlit seascapes. My favorite is a picture of the QE II passing under the golden gate.
I also like to golf. And I am a diehard handy man. I love to tinker and fix things. And I watch too much TV.

Now... How about you?

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Wanna see my package?

At one time I collected Norman Rockwell prints, plates, mugs, glasses, etc. I've stopped collecting, but still have them all. Now I am a jigsaw puzzle addict. My whole house is decorated with framed or laminated jigsaws, particularly Thomas Kincaids. I also make jigsaws as gifts for special occasions, so watch out on your next birthday!

Oh, and if we're talking about obsessions? Gotta be the colour PURPLE!! If I see anything in purple, I've gotta buy it. I'm the only person I know who has purple-only dryer lint!

donna

Post Edited (04-16-04 11:20)
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Admiral

So, what is there about me besides my obsession with cruising that any other people on this board might possibly be interested in? Hmmm...

The only thing I collect is fossils. I've always been a natural history buff.

I also know more trivia about English history, especially Tudor history, than most people forget in a lifetime. I am a real anglophile and enjoy reading about, studying, and travelling to Britain every chance I get. And going to tea.

Reading is one of my favorite hobbies and I love to read all kinds of books and magazines.

I'm a devout Catholic and love practicing my religion.

Edited to add that I love 80s music. It's all I'll listen to in the car and I listen to it all day at work. I also love classical music.

I've been married four months and am more in love with my husband every day. He's my best friend and I'd rather spend time with him than anything else.

Guess that covers all the bases.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Post Edited (04-16-04 11:24)

Old April 16th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

A little background:
I am mid-forties married 23 years to Lori, my high school sweetheart, and have one beautiful daughter, Samantha, who is 14.

I graduated college 20 years after high school. I have a BS degree in Meteorology , I work as a saleman for a small computer firm in Iowa. My boss is the greatest guy in the world and probably wouldn't fire me if he knew how much time I spend on this mesage board, but lets not tempt fate.
I have the best part time job a sports fan could hope for. I run an electronic message board system in Hilton Coliseum where Iowa State University plays basketball. I get paid to be at concerts held there also. I'm going to miss Aerosmith, a favorite of mine in a couple weeks since I will be at a large trade show in Orlando.

I collect shot glasses from the places I go, their small amd generally inexpensive, currently have about 120.
I love to garden and have been working on getting the garden ready the last few days.

I like to say i'm a pet to the 3 dogs that rule the roost at my house. Torrie the Chow, Pete the Pomeranian and Gus the Chihauhau he is our newest addition he is about 4 months old now.
I also consider home repair and remodeling a hobby. My major accomplishments on the house was roofing it and building a large deck.

And if you can't tell I love my Camaro SS

[img]
NCL
Norwegian Gem
June 04
Adventure of the Sea
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Wow, this gets you thinking about yourself, doesn't it?

I'm a journeyman electrician, but at work, I also drive forklift trucks, fix plumbing, weld a little (both steel & tin), and paint. Just call me Ed the Handyman.

I am a big sports fan, if it's on, I'll watch it. But in the fall, I'm a season ticket holder for the Buffalo Bills. I've only missed two home games in 19 years (not bad considering it's a 2.5 hr drive one way).

I refuse to believe that there has been any good music since the 60's.

I sing bass in our Roman Catholic church choir (except when the Bills are at home). I'm also involved with our parish festival (DW is the chairperson) as an electrician, carpenter, .....

I'm also a collector. I refuse to get rid of anything useful. DW calls me a pack rat. <G>

I enjoy hunting in the fall, and bass fishing on the Finger Lakes in the summer.

I love watching comedies, either on TV or movies.

But most of all, I love my DW Marybeth, with whom I will be celebrating 20 years of wedded bliss this Sept.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

HI,
We are die-hard Star Trek fans. Collecting the autographs, going to conventions (all over the world) curises, read all the books, I have the plates,games, books, t-shirts,etc

We even dress in our uniforms for special occasions, like when we met Cpt Kirk, Wm Shatner., had our picture taken with him and got several autographs.
We will be on a Star Trek cruise in November with fellow fans and many of the stars from the shows. The original series (Kirk, Spock), Next Generation, DS-9, Voyager, and Enterprise. This group usually takes up most of the ship 600-1000 people, aliens, etc
We bought a house with the number "1701" which is the number of the Star ship Enterprise. Anyone else out there admit to this obsession?
Other then that, we are pretty normal.
We have our pets named after characters of the show, but I won't bore you with that.
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm in the Federal Witness Protection Program so therefore can't tell you the truth about myself.

I used to be the top enforcer for a large forest based crime family... and my testimony was partially responsible for the demise of notorious Beaver crime family. I used to be the right hand man to the Don, until I found out that when I was still young he had ordered the death of much of my family during a hunting trip in Newfoundland.

I take great pride in the fact that I was able to help assure the lifetime incarceration of Don Perignon.

I'm also an avid-- though bad-- golfer!.But my favorite sport is driving Mrs. Kuki crazy... and I have quite a talent for it!

Post Edited (04-16-04 11:25)
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:30 PM
venice

great stream...I enjoy collecting volkswagon beetle models (since my first car was a 1953 black beetle with a hole in the floor board and I currently own a 2002 black beetle sports turbo) and just started a collection of army/air force fighter plane models since my only son is a proud graduate of the air force academy and flies f-15's and will soon move to the f-22 Rapture.

My other great passion besides cruising is I love 50's-60's music (all kinds) and have about 1000 -45's , LP-33's and 78's and since I live in New Orleans (the perfect place if you love music) I collect JazzFest prints which covers my walls as well as albums.

My girlfriend keeps hinting to marry her and buy a bigger house so I will have more wall space
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:58 PM
joyful

My passions, besides cruising, are my God, my husband, my boys, my church (heavily involved there), my friends, my work (Human Resources Manager), cake decorating, cooking and baking. These are the thing that fill my days. I love my life, and feel so very blessed. Of course, I love this board, too, because we don't get to cruise often, but I live through you all's experiences.

Joy
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Admiral

I love to drape Mrs. Thomas is jewelry. I can spot a poorly cut diamond from the other side of the wall. It's the only hobby I have.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Purple fanatic here! Even my car is purple. (Actually, the official color is Black Rose)

They have a "purple store" in San Antonio. Anything you can imagine that is purple!!!
Love it!

I collect bunnies, dolphins and angels. The last two don't quite compare with the rabbits....over 100. Different shapes, sizes, etc. Hobbies.....drag racing, cruises, webmaster.

I prefer to work on my own car; I know it will be done right and without damage to my car. With the exception of buying new tires or rotating them, I do all maintenance myself at home. Not the hubby.........ME!

I love to drag race! Nothing like the feeling of sitting there waiting for the lights to go from prestage.....stage.......amber..............GREEN!

Since I don't like rollercoasters, etc, this is what thrills me! Go as fast as you can - No fear! I have recently added extra horsepower to the car and and waiting on two more modifications to add more. Just can't stand to have a "stock" vehicle.

Post Edited (04-16-04 12:23)
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Admiral

WHEW! i wasn't sure where this thread was headed with that title and author! <VBG>

I collect china tea cups. I love to read, do crossword puzzles, i ballroom dance, love to sing, go to the beach and go camping.
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, reading, painting, and gardening. I work for the Extension Service for the horticulture agent, so I get LOTS of free advice in the gardening department. I collect refrigerator magnets (how original eh?) wherever we go. My husband and I are in our 50's and just love being outdoors, perferrably by the water. We leave in 2 weeks (May 1st) for our Triumph trip and we're so excited!
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Kuki, I supect you mean the Feral Witness Protection Program.

As far as my hobbies and collections, Chris and I are both eclectic. Our biggest collections are videos (VHS and DVD), music (cassettes and CDs of a range of styles from medieval to contemporary--if it's baroque, don't fix it!). Chris also enjoys papercrafts and scrapbook related activities. And I like my shortwave transceivers, telegraph keys, and other electronic toys. And both of us have our books on a range of topics, fiction and nonfiction.

Every now and then, we travel--usually toward water. We used to have a popup camper that we quit using when my arthritis started raising its spurs. Now, we spend our summers in our backyard pool.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Admiral

I used to collect comics and comic related statues and figurines. I do like gardening, handymanning, birdwatching, snorkeling and cruising. Set4cruz used to collect pewter figurines but lately has been collecting dolphins, dolphin earings, dolphin necklace, dolphin ankle braclet and a dolphin ring. All gold and some with Tanzanite stones. I think her new collection is going to cost me a lot more money down the road. {{grin}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old April 16th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I find the attachment to purple interesting...a local newspaper writer is well known for this purple obsession and never leaves the house without her purple hat.

Sea Trekker - I woiuld have claimed I was a trekkie since I purchased the original series on VHS when it first came out but I'm nothing compared to you.

Carole - I would say lets race but I think you have more under that hood than meets the eye. I commend you doing your own work. If you want it done right do it yourself. I find it interesting you don't like rollercoasters, I drive my Camaro because I can't drive a rollercoaster.

One forgotten collection is key rings I think it has happened more by accident than on purpose, but they take up a rather large bowl on the fridge.

Jason - you are 1 funny dude

[img]
NCL
Norwegian Gem
June 04
Adventure of the Sea
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Admiral

stever, my car is a sleeper. Looks stock but doesn't run like it! Still would be a great race....I mean, people should race for fun. People who get mad when they lose are not fun. Can't win them all, so just have fun.

I used to have a 94 Six Speed Camaro with t-tops. It was a blast and I love shifting gears. Your car is beautiful ! I sacrificed mine to get my hubby a new 1 ton, 4x4 Crew Cab Dually. He paid me back with this.

Old April 16th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hmmm lets see..My Massachusetts vanity plate is shop*r.so that tells you something. I design and make jewelry...I craft other things as well..I have designed a line of thongs that Kuki wears, or tries to on his cruises...Hawaain, gambling fur lined etc...I love reading and having books around me....guess thats it...thats me Trip
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Yeoman

My part-time hobby / business is ephemera. I collect and deal in anything scarce, old, or one of a kind, as long as its paper. My inventory contains items such as obsolete stocks and bonds to Civil War prints, signatures and documents, 1920s movie broadsides, WW2 papers, railroad paper goods, 15th century bible leaves, 1700s Colonial Mass. docs. etc. Don't know what all I have. Always a thrill and learning experience every time I find a box of old papers at an auction. Ms.kruzers hobby of teaching cake decorating has turned into a business of custom cakes. Weddings are her speciality. Of course vacations and crusin' are still high on the list.
SSaFWs..ED
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Oh Thanks Trip. Now I have a vision of Bullwrinkle (Kuki) in a thong. Plughe..I have to go wash my eyes….. euuuww.

Post Edited (04-16-04 15:04)
and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Wanna see my package?

I find the addiction to the color purple very interesting! My mother-in-law LOVED the color, bought anything she saw that was purple, and even had an entire room in her house devoted to purple, and wore something purple every day. She passed away last year and was buried in a purple suit with a purple doll. (I miss her!)

Donna,
Did you ever here about the color purple and the red hats?

Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - 9/27/2003
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Regarding the colour purple, Carole, I have been to the "purple store" in San Antonio while visiting my brother-in-law who lives there. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!!
I would love to go back again one of these days.
Carrie, no, I don't know about the colour purple and the red hats - what's that about?
My co-workers are so accustomed to me wearing purple all the time, that on the rare occasion when I don't, I always get "what? no purple today"?!

donna

Old April 16th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Donna, I am going in June, .....want something?

Old April 16th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Now I'm stuck humming Jimmy Hendrix's "Purple Haze". Thanks people. {{grin}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old April 16th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Gardening - here in Beautiful British Columbia we got a really early start at it - everything looks so good - even the fish pond. I also collect teapots - must have over a hundred scattered all over the house. Like mugs and shot glasses from travelling - so when I use them I can relive the moments. And charms - that bracelet is getting pretty heavy. I also have two "Littles" - as in Big Brothers/Big Sisters - so I do keep busy. Have a great day everyone - and a wonderful weekend. TTFN Jennifer
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I collect clocks, I started about three ten years ago, actually my sister started it for me. She came to my house for a visit and noticed that I had no clocks. So upon her return home she bought my first clock as a thank you gift and then another for my birthday. After that I was hooked, my collection is very small so far only about twenty, but I'am already running out of space. I've started a miniature clock collection here in the office.
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Carole - yes! Those little stickers that say "Purple makes life bearable" witha a picture of a teddy bear on it! I need some more of those!
And Hazelson, I forgot, I collect teapots too, but I had to stop - no more shelf space in my kitchen!

donna

Old April 16th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Donna, I will post when I am a day or two from leaving and you remind me! :O)

Old April 17th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi,
I have no "purple passion" but I do love to collect clown figurines. Of course cruises are my favorite pastime. I live in NH in the Lakes Region. Avid boater on Lake Winnipesaukee in the all too short summer season. I work with the developmentally disabled/mentally retarded. My job is a labor of the heart. We also have 2 MR ladies living here that we take care of. Life is never dull in our home. When I am not on this message board and I have a free moment I go play bingo to relax. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I really love reading all the messages so keep em coming!!!

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 17th, 2004, 07:22 AM
VTJen

What a good idea this post was. It is fun to learn more about each other. Somethings are better left alone, with the post about the thongs and then all the purple, I can only imagine a moose sporting a purple thong! Yikes.

I love to travel. Reading is high on my list of fun things to do. My kids activities have always kept me pretty busy, sports, music, plays...so it seems there is always something we are attending.

I'm quite busy with Church - not only am I the secretary/treasurer (so I'm there close to 40 hours a week) I also teach a Bible Study, help with the Youth Programs. My husband is a deacon, so there is always something going on.

My new hobby is scrapbooking. I can't believe how much money I've spent on it. Good thing my husband just got a raise! I have 20+years of pictures, that have just sat in boxes, now I am trying to reign them in and make something meaningful of them. It is a lot of fun, remembering back as I work on the photos. Just wish I hadn't waited so long to start.

In the summer I love to sit in my floating pool chair, iced tea in hand and a book. Pure heaven! We also bought kayaks last year. I love gliding thru the water looking at all the birds and creatures.

My biggest time consumption right now is my new puppy. I forgot how much work they are. I'm not a good disciplinarian, have a little trouble paper training him. If I put him on the paper, success. If I forget, he doesn't seem to mind just going where ever. The odd thing tho' is when I bring him to work (since the Pastor's wife gave him to me, I get to bring him to the church everyday) he is so well behaved. Plays only in his basket, and gets out only to go to his paper or kennel to do his "business". He must be a church dog.

My husband is one of those people who can do anything - carpentry, mechanical, electrical...so there he is always working on something.

When I'm with my inlaws we play a lot of cards.

I'm pretty boring. I think I need to think of something more exciting to pursue. I'll have to give it some thought.

Have a great weekend.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004