Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:12 AM
salem5050

Default Southbeach Diet?

I am just wondering if anyone has had success on the Southbeach diet. I have got to do something since gaining 3 pounds on my cruise in March and some more weight lately I have got to put a stop to it. I just would like to lose 20 lbs. Any suggestions?
Problem is I can not go on Atkins because I have a kidney disease, and I really probably think Southbeach would not be good, but I think that diet is the lesser of the two evils.

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:23 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Southbeach Diet?

Mary Margaret,
I do not know if South Beach is okay for someone with kidney disease. As far as the whole diet goes though, I went on it and lost 10 pounds in two weeks. Weight loss slows down a lot after that, but you can keep losing. I found it a relatively easy diet to follow. But I suggest reading the book first to see if it is right for you.
DH lost weight on it without trying, just from the meals I was cooking.
Bobbie

Grand Princess - Baltic - July 28, 2004
Dawn Princess - Southern Caribbean - February 2002
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:32 AM
evie

Default Re: Re: Southbeach Diet?

I tried the southbeach for four months and only lost 8 pounds (was hungry all the time), When I went for a check up my blood pressure was sky high. I have never had high blood pressure in my life and the doctor wanted to know what I was eating. He told me to get off this diet and that this diet has too much cholesterol for your body.

So now I just eat in moderation and slowly and do exercise every day.
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:49 AM
Yeoman

Lost 20 # in 5 weeks and have maintained since. No problems with menus. Its all in moderation. Just cut out the breads and starches. We cheat once a month at Pizza Hut to curb our cravings (although small) for junk food. A lot of sugar free puddings and Jello works wonders in place of cookies and other sweets. Works for us, however as with anything concerning health, consult your Dr. b/4 starting any diet.
SSaFWs..ED
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Have lost 30 lbs just watching, not cutting out entirely, the carbs. Some of the things I thought were good that I ate are really not, such as corn and carrots.
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:28 AM
Admiral

South Beach, Atkins... whatever happened to "eat less and exercise"?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 21st, 2004, 09:28 AM
Passenger

I lost 25 lbs doing Body For Life. You may be able to check the book out at the library. It's basically a more healthful approach but it works! I'm looking forward to wearing a bikini on my next cruise for the first time!

Shelly
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:00 AM
Admiral

I go for the lenten diet. I give up sweets for lent and get on the exercise bike 4 or 5 times a week. I've lost 18 lbs since the middle of Jan. And that's including a 7 day cruise! Now that spring is here, yard work will replace some of those evenings on the bike.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:23 AM
Admiral

DW and I bought the book and we went on the SB diet..the first 2 wks were a little
rough but never got hungry..made it to the phase 2 and smooth sailing until we went
on the cruise..I lost 35 and DW lost 18..now its back to phase 1 again..I too have controled high b/p,diabetic..dropped my sugar levels over 100 pts to almost normal,
colestrol levels came down within limits and DW's bp came down..although I have
never had a problem with my b/p as long as I take the meds..I agree with MichelleP
though..you have got to burn up more than you take in no matter what diet or planet
you are on.......seizure later

Old April 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM
Admiral

David and I have both been on South Beach Diet for about three months with vacation interruptions included in the 90 days.. Our doctor has been on it too. All three of us have lost a minimum of forty pounds. Our doctor says studies show South Beach is excellent for pre diabetic issues, cardio-vascular disease, etc. We couldn't be happier with the results.
Old April 24th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Admiral

I thought the South Beach diet was Cosmos and sushi.