Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default American Idol.. has America gone tone deaf?

I'm not a big American Idol fan... but Mrs. Kuki is, so I end up watching it more than I might on my own.

But last night's "vote" truly had me shaking my head!!! And by the looks on the faces of the judges, and even the other competitors faces, it was obvious that this vote created a mockery of American Idol and the process.

Hope you guys do a better job of choosing your President in Nov <G>

Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: American Idol.. has America gone tone deaf?

Good luck! The intelligence of the American people showed itself when they elected GWB. Instead of electing the person most qualified, the vote is often a popularity contest. Whenever uninformed people vote, the outcome is usually a farce.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:54 AM
Admiral

It really ticks me off that a thread about a reality TV show has turned into a political discussion.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:42 PM
Admiral

As far as I know, neither Al Gore, George Bush or John Kerry can sing very well.
But, anyone voted off of American Idol is automatically going into next seasons Celebrity Survivor . The premise is that rejects from American Idol will be placed on an island with the rejects from the Bachelor and the Bachelorette.The contests will be leftover stunts from Fear Factor. To win you will have to sing a song , underwater, while eating worms and picking petals off of leftover roses from the Bachelor. The winners HAVE TO get married and then they will be moved to the Big Brother house where they will have to live with the loser of the presidential election. The Grand prize is a job shining Donald Trumps shoes for the next six months at $10,000 per week. The loser gets a date with Omarosa and will receive $1 million if he (or she) can get Omarosa to make a single statement that is true.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: American Idol.. has America gone tone deaf?

Hopefully this is the last gasp for the American Idol Celebrity Survivor Apprentice Bachelor Fear Factor Swan Extreme Makeover show.

Post Edited (04-22-04 11:47)

Crown Princess March 2017
Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Now, PapaBill, that's a show I would anticipate with glee! Why haven't the network execs hired you yet?!?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:15 PM
Admiral

PB, that's absolutely brilliant! Maybe it could be moderated by Joe Millionaire and Darva Conger. I'm sure they'd enjoy the replenished limelight.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Admiral

seriously, something needs to be done. I was listening to the radio today and they were talking about all the Idol chat rooms, especially the "teens only" chat rooms, these kids are bragging that they are calling 100-200 times each just to keep the teens on. Not that Jasmine isn't worthy of being there. The talk is that the teens plan on voting LaToya out next week. If this keeps up there won't be another season of American Idol. The logical solution seems to be to limit the votes to 1 vote per phone number
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I must say I was quite surprised by the outcome of yesterday's show. But hopefully it will turn around. I do think that the record companies do look at these shows and someone will probably pick her up. My sister told me this morning that Jennifer use to be a Cruise ship singer. I knew it was somthing I liked about her.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Here's an interesting article about the American Idol voting system.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:09 PM
Pea

The problem is people do not get "voted off". The votes are to keep them on. If the public gets complacent and just figures "I know Fantasia (substitute LaToya/Jennifer) was the best this weeks...she'll get enough votes, why should I bother?" then the best singers are going to be in trouble. The only way to assure that the person you want voted off goes, it so vote for every single other contestant...leaving that one with the fewest votes. People with huge fan bases automatically get their votes, regardless of the caliber of the performance. Usually, when someone performs well, they get a lot of votes (I don't have any idea what happened this week).

And that is the problem. Some people may vote for one or two, but when the top 12 were there, who wants to have to have 11 times? Individuals such as ourselves cannot have influence over who gets fewer...we only have influence over who gets more.

I agree, we should be voting on who to eliminate...it's easier and fairer. But guess what? Then the producers of the show wouldn't get input on who might actually sell records, who gets the most support, instead of who is disliked most.

Besides the results (which the producers really didn't have control over), I was more upset at the why the producers chose to handle it. They knew beforehand this was going to be huge and emotional. Instead of handling it with dignity, they made a cruel farce out of the results. Break them into the two groups...and make poor George make a fool of himself. That was totally uncalled for and the blame for that lays total on the producers. In the first two seasons, Ryan was never cruel when the one to be eliminated was announced. This year, it's been vicious: "Who's dream is ending tonight? Who is going back to flipping burgers? Who will fade into obscurity?" If I stop watching, this will be the reason, not because of the voting outcome.

I was upset last night, yes. And I have nobody to blame but myself, because I haven't been voting this season.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Admiral

The bottom 3 the other night are in my opinion the top 3. If the remaining bottom 2 get voted off I will not watch this show anymore. In my humble opinion the voting system has to be rigged. There is no way so many people are liking the same voices but get voted off. Something is very fishy here and I will not participate in it anymore.

June 1st 2015--- Denali Explorer Cruise on Star Princess!

Dec 18, 2014 Caribbean Princess
Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I thought the votes on American Idol were skewed since last year when I could never get through to vote. I've voted twice this season with success, except maybe I was the only one who voted for Jennifer this last time! I just watched Jennifer sing a duet with Barry Manilow on Ryan Seacrest's talk show - goosebumps!!!!! If all the teenyboppers are cheating with multiple votes, what's the point? They are making it a big sham.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 08:39 PM
Pea

It's more than teenyboppers cheating. Plenty of adults does the powercalling also. I've heard people brag that they voted 10,000 times for someone.

The Producers have the ability to limit the number of votes...they did last year on Last Comic Standing. 3 votes per land line (for the same contestant) and 3 votes per email address. The powers that be at American Idol so far have chosen not to, although I've heard they do have a "power calling" clause...that they can discount multiple calls from the same phone for the same contestant. I don't believed it's rigged...competitions and game shows are highly regulated to avoid any issue of impropriety.

I don't think it was the powercalling that did these contestants in...it was apathy from people who have decided their vote doesn't matter (hmmmm....doesn't that sound familiar). If you want a contestant to win, you have to get out and vote. If I decide to continue watching the show, I will be voting from now on...for every contestant I wanted to go on, as I was during the first two seasons.

Pea
Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:21 PM
granghee

You are so right Kuki, but instead of shaking my head, I was crying. That didn't help one iota though. We are just that way, if WE can't be the perfomer, we vote for the loser...Sad state, huh???
Gran
Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: American Idol.. has America gone tone deaf?

I agree with Sue. If anyone other the three previously mentioned women wins, the whole concept is a terrible joke.
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: American Idol.. has America gone tone deaf?

I dunno, George has done pretty well except for the last couple of performances. If he gets his act back together it won't be such a bad thing if he were to win.

I am really rooting for LaToya. I will have to actually vote for her this week. (Stop the apathy!) She has the best voice of any of them.

Cheers,
Michelle P.