Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default update on insurance claim

Back in Feb. during our cruise, Geroge had a scooter accident and needed some medical attention, both on land and then on the ship, Voyager... I've always purchased insurance, but until this point, have never had to file a claim... Once I was able to get some bills to send into the insurance company, which took a few weeks, seems the hospital was very quick to charge our credit card, but not to send us a bill we could use to send into, first our medical insurance carrier and then the travel insurance...

Finally got the needed papers, sent into our insurance company, got a check back, made more copies and sent into CSA travel insurance. It took about 10 days from the day I mailed all the information and today I received a check from them for all the money's we were out... You must file a claim with your regular medical carrier first, and then they will cover the rest, at least they did in our case...

So, in the future I will continue to take out travel insurance and even continue using CSA, they sent me the correct claim forms with all the instructions and were quick to review the claim and send a check, so that part of the story ends on a good note.

Now, if I could just get the scooter company to reply to me and our credit card, I'd be happy...they charged us $600 for what we don't know and have not responded to me our the credit card company as to what these charges are for. So, I hope to get this clearned up eventually..

Message Boards Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: update on insurance claim

Glad to see that the medical bills were all covered Donna. Dispute the charged on the CC and if you need backing Sylvia and I are there for you.
Jim

Old April 24th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: update on insurance claim

Thanks Robo,
We still have it in dispute, but the scooter company does not answer any inquiries, so not sure what we can do next?? Will keep you posted... HOw they charged us is what is now in question, they can't do what they did..

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Donna, glad the insurance came thru for you. After the New Year's cruise, I believe that it is imperative to have. That one cruise more than paid for all the premiums I have paid and then some.

Sorry to hear about the dispute with the credit card thing. Hope you get it resolved too.

Carnival Glory
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's my understanding that if a charge is questioned, the Credit Card companies make a request for information (read proof) of the transaction within a certain time frame.

If the retailer does not respond by said date, the credit card company should simply debit the retailers account the amount in question. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.

Glad to hear the insurance came through as they were supposed to Donna... and hope George is all healed up and ready to break something else on Jewel <G>

Old April 25th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Admiral

Donna: Thanks so much for posting your experience. I've always purchased trip insurance, but, thankfully, never had the need to use it. It is good to know that it works.
You just reminded me that I need to purchase some for our cruise on Jewel. I always try to purchase within 14 days of booking the cruise so the "pre-existing condition" waiver kicks in. Thanks, again. I'm glad you are getting some satisfaction...good luck withthe scooter company.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Beginner

I am interested in your problem over the scooter. We are booked for a cruise ion July and are considering renting a scooter for the wife. Who is the scooter firm and for how many days did you rent the scooter ? $600 seems to be a lot of money unless you signed an agreement you would be liable for any damage to the scooter or were on a very long cruise.
Old April 25th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Hi Kuki,
Thats what I thought too, but the people at the credit card company said they can't do that?? What if they never reply, seems there would be some recourse for the consumer using their credit card?? I will keep on them, the merchant does not respond to me either. Makes it more difficult when they are out of the country, so this could be going on for awhile yet.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 25th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Hi Herman,
No, it was just for a few hours while visiting Grand Cayman. We did have to give them a $200 deposit, and that was only if the scooter was lost or stolen, or driven in the sand.. My contract was not even signed, only damage to the one scooter was one mirror came off, that was it. They have not bothered to send any bill, even the credit card company is trying to get something from them. We were definitely scammed here and hope to get something resolved. What made matters even worse, the phone number they provided both on our papers and the scooter itself was non-working..UGH!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Beginner

I appreciated the reply because we got a price from a scooter supplier for $300 for a ten day cruise. The scooter would be delivered to the ship in San Francisco and picked up at the pier. I did not know you were in an entirely different rental situation. I cannot comprehend how they could put a $600 creit charge using your credit card without your approval. It seems the credit card company might have been lax. Last month, while in Mexico, I spent $400 using my Visa Card and the card company rejected the charge unless I first called thenm to confirm it was me making the charge. I have had similar experience incurring credit card charges in Canada.
Old April 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Hi Herman,
I'm so sorry, we're talking about different kinds of scooters. We rented scooters to drive around and sightsee, not the ones for people with walking problems. Sorry for the confusion.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: update on insurance claim

And Sylvia and I can and will attest to the minor damage on the scooter as we viewed it and checked it out very closely along with the Police Officer that investagated the accident. We are also willing to make legal statements that something apparently malfunctioned on the scooter causing the accident as George was unable to turn the wheel causing the crash!
Jim

Old April 26th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to TERRY C

Hello Donna,

I'm happy to hear you made out ok. So please help if you can.
I was on a cruise in feb. and when i got home my back was really bothering me.
So i went to the Dr. and he said I had a stress fracture in my back. I have another cruise coming up in May. I have insurance. If I can not travel would the consider that pre-ex?
I was not diag until after i booked my cruise and ins. Would I be covered for cancellation if need be? I have never used the insurance so maybe you can help.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Caribbean Princess
Old April 26th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Donna. Hopefully you are doing all this disputing of the charge from the scooter company IN WRITING. Regardless of how many phone calls you make , to protect your rights you must do the dispute in writing within 30 or 60 days of the origonal charge appearing on your bill (I forget which, it's tough being old). I would simply dispute the charge and deduct the payment from my credit card bill, don't wait for credit from a scooter company, it may never come.
Travel insurance is an absolute must and this is one reason why.
Ok folks now these "scooters". Cute way to get around, but, the accident rate on them is quite high. On our last Bermuda trip the 25 year old guy in the next cabin spent the last half of his cruise on the ship in a cast up to the top of the leg and at the next table the two newly weds were both sporting major bruises , wounds and contusions from their crash. Two cruises ruined by scooter accidents. Unfamiliar roads, unfamiliar scooters, dangerous driving conditions and locals who treat tourists on scooters as targets are just a few reasons to leave the driving to the local cab and bus drivers.
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Hi Terry,
I would think you'd be covered and lets hope you don't have to test it out. Since you were not diagnosed until after you booked and bought the insurance, think you are OK, got my fingers crossed for you.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Hi Bill,
Yes, there is a procedure you go through with the credit card company, but at this point, the balance has been paid. If for some reason they rule int he Scooter companies favor we'd be subject to all the interest for the un-paid balance. I have sent them a letter weeks ago with no reply, but everything else has been in writing and e-mails with the credit card company, but they are telling me they can't reverse the charge to the Scooter company, which I find hard to believe, at this point I would think that would be the only recourse for the CC company to get anywhere with them. Another problem, they don't have a working phone number, so thats a dead end too.

I will just have to be patient and persistent, thanks for your tips Bill.

Message Boards Moderator