Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default When you were a kid......

When I was a kid, you had to use your imagination..something lacking with most kids today..My grandaughter comes over, and bam !!! sits in front of the computer for hours...
how sad I think...

When I was a kid, we PLAYED, what fun we had, actually playing games,red rover, tag, putting on a show...selling comic books, lemondade, running, playing ball..such fun..mothers could not get their kids in for supper, we wanted to Play !!

For me, some of my favorite things were. my Ginny Doll. My Mom enrolled me in a GInny Doll outfit of the month club..Imagine, for $2.00 a month you got a cute doll outfit, mailed every month..it was such an extravagance back then, and I absolutey felt special...I always wanted a set of trains..So one Christmas, we went to New Hampshire to celebrate, and under the tree were trains !! MINE, I thought ! alas, NO. they were cousin Stephens But boy did I have fun with them....

My Hoola hoop was red, and so was my Twirly whirler, remember those? A plastic plate and a pole you twirled it on....Nancy Drew was my book of choice, the weekly trip to the library with Dorothy Green, [wonder where she is now] is still a special memory, as is is the bookmobile, where B is for Betsy, was on my list...

Movies were double features, with a stack of cartoons between...Our movie theater, was so special..called the Oriental, the ceiling had twinkling lights, the exit doors, had buddahs over them.,.the rest rooms,were these gigantic lounges, with huge oriental urns..theaters now lack the imagination of years ago....

Fun is just different now, and I am sure glad to have had these experiences...

Post Edited (05-13-04 16:24)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:20 PM
First Mate

Default Re: When you were a kid......

We must be about the same age, as I remember all of those things..........
Happy Cruising.......Anita
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Admiral

I guess I was lucky to grow up in the 80s, when we had the best of both worlds. There were computers but they were very primitive. We had a lot of fun writing our own programs (and that's part of why I'm in the field I'm in.) However, we spent the majority of our time playing outside or with our imaginations. Have to agree that too many kids today plop down in front of the Playstation when they get home and don't get enough exercise, physically and mentally.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old May 13th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Admiral

I have faint memories of childhood and believe it was fun. It was just soooo long ago
my old brain can't remember those things. I do remember the president was one of those nice Adams boys.
Seriously , from a guy perspective we must have lived parallel childhoods. Yes to hoola hoops and all that stuff. No of course to the dolls , but little green rubber soldiers, cowboys and indian figues with horses and saddles and fort apache . Tonka trucks that if they were still around now would send my grandkids to college . We played with guns in those days (toys of course). We had six guns and winchesters to play cowboys and indians (now it would be cowpersons and native americans) . We played baseball and football and basketball and stick ball and punch ball and nobody had to start a league or get sponsors. We collected , flipped and traded baseball cards , and put them in the spokes of our bicycles to make them sound like a motor cycle.
No gameboys, nintendo's ,computers or electronic anything (except for a small hand held AM transistor radio playing Scottt Munie, Murray the K , Cousin Bruce, Harry Harrison, Joe Obrien , and B Mitchell Reed.
We played outside until the sunset and our mothers sent our fathers or older siblings looking for us. If we were alone we read the Hardy Boys ( Nancy Drew was for girls) or a good comic book.
Oh, I just remembered it was Andrew Jackson that was President then.
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Admiral

I remember the freedom we neighbourhood kids had, exploring our suburban neighbourhood, which consisted of farmer's fields, and the "back river". No way would parents leave their kids alone to play in places like that today! We climbed crab apple trees and ate crab apples till we were sick. We rode bikes everywhere, including through the woods, and never even heard of a helmet! At night we stayed out late playing hide 'n seek, Stando, Red Rover, frozen tag, kick the can, or just catching fireflies. It saddens me that my childrens' childhood was never like this....

donna

Post Edited (05-14-04 06:17)
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:30 PM
cruisinKandJ.

We rode bikes and roller skated. My girl friend and I loved the old MGM musicals. We also went to the Saturday movie matinees. We read movie magazines, comic books, played with paper dolls, and joined movie fan clubs. Another girl friend of mine (now dead) used to pretend that we were the two most popular high school seniors. We, of course, were just youngsters at the time. Not too surprisingly, if you'd known her, Sandra did grow up to be the most popular girl in school. She had a short life, though.

J.
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Your childhood sounds like mine. I grew up in the 50's in Melrose Ma. I too had a Ginny doll and all the clothes. The hula hoop and the twirly whirler are fond memories. My aunt bought me Nancy Drew books for every birthday and Christmas. I had a wonderful collection of them that I read over and over. We played kickball, dodgeball, tag and hide and seek outside till dark when our moms called us in. Our imaginations knew no limits. We had picnics in the woods on "Boston Rock" where we could see Boston off in the distance. We went everywhere on our bikes. We sledded on the hill behind the house and ice skated in the rinks at the local parks. Summer weekends were spent in NH, where I now live. We went to the local MDC pool in Stoneham. The free bus service picked us up and brought us back. It cost a penny to get in. My mom would pack a lunch for me and send me off with some pennies and a dime so I could get a drink for lunch. Saturday matinees at the local theaters were wonderful. we sat in the front row and ate popcorn and candy bars. Those were the days!!!

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 14th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Admiral

I can remember taking old spoons and digging in the dirt to make roads for out little plastic cars..racing them on these roads with strings tied to the front of them..going out in the woods with my buddies and building forts..my best friend and I even ran away from home for 1 and a half days and slept in the fort..we were maybe 100 yards from home and our parents thought we were at each others house..they DIDNT even miss us..I can only imagine what would happen in today's world..we played army and of course like PapaBill said..cowpersons and native americans.<BG>..there were so many things we did..creative things..like making a bag swing over the creek..old burlap sack filled with old rags..swing out over the creek and let go..kids now days just dont know what they have missed. i just remembered..bottle cap baseball...we saved all our botlle caps and we would use a broom stick and try to hit them when someone pitched(sailed)them..it was quite hard to hit them.....also going to the St Louis Cardinals games...50 cent round trip on the redbird express and 2.00 bleacher seat..you wont get that deal now.

Post Edited (05-14-04 11:49)
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Joyful

I don't remember all of these things, but many of them! Ah, the good old days! I do try to expose my kids to some of the things of the "olden days" (as they call them), even if it is just to tell them about how it was then, what we used to play, etc.

My special memory of what I loved to play was paper dolls. My two sisters and I would play for just hours on end! I don't remember having Barbie dolls, but the paper dolls we wore out! I remember a set we had that were Martha Washington and Mary Todd Lincloln, does not sound like much fun now, but we loved them. We also had a metal dollhouse with little plastic furniture. What fun.

Speaking of getting dimes and pennies to buy a drink with lunch, I remember buying a carton of milk to go with my lunch everyday, for 3 cents! When I graduated High school, a hot lunch was either 40 or 45 cents! My kids' lunch is $1.65 at school. I also remember a penny candy store that was on the way home from school (where I would sometimes spend my lunch money ), where my favorite candies were candy buttons and the bag of gold gum (it was called Goldrush, or something like that). At our movie theatre you could buy about 5 or 10 malted milk balls (out of a big glass container on the counter) for a penny. I still have to have malted milk balls when I go to the movies now!

Wow, thanks for dredging up those memories! I love walking down memory lane! I was raised in the 50's and 60's, by the way.

Joy
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Yeoman

trip

what a wonderful and fun thread.

i can see myself doing all the things you mentioned. also it was a whole day activity making a great kite. it was so much fun and then we had contests to see who could keep it up the highest and longest. i grew up in a town with a wonderful lake so we would spend all day swimming in the summer, fishing in the fall and skating in the winter. we were never home. ( we might have to do some housework with mom ).

oh, the good old days. i wish our kids could know what it is like to actually think, plan and do something fun and entertaining that is safe and '''cost ''''' free.

now that would be a novelty, kids these days doing something that doesnt cost anything. we can only dream.

Old May 14th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Let's see , I left out, bicycles and roller skate (metal wheels and a clamp to attach to your shoes , anybody remember skate keys?). We spun tops, played with yo yo's , played jax, hop scotch, knock hockey, flew kites (with rags tied together for a tail).
Notice how none of this stuff required batteries.
In the winter we all had Yankee Clipper sleds .
We could spend hours just drawing on the sidewalk with big fat sticks of chalk.
My brother and I collected something called Dinky Toys. They were die cast cars, an early forerunner to Corgi toys and matchbox cars. We would rig ramps and see how far
we could make them "fly" accross the room.
Old May 14th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Denise H

I remberthe days when we play outside all day any you came running when your
mom called for you when i go to the library on saturdays i walk throu the park and
there no kids playing out in the park there alll inside that is real sad
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nancy Drew & hoola hoops - those were the days! I remember climbing apple trees and roller skating all over the neighborhood. And I remember going to the Saturday matinees-we really looked forward to them.
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Beginner

I remember that you'd take off on your bike in the morning. Your neighborhood was your kingdom and everybody knew EVERYBODY. You'd come home for dinner after eating lunch at...... someone's house. And at night.... you were so tired!!! I would never think of letting my own kids do the same. We all were talking about that a month or two ago. First of all..... I think our kids were surprised to find out that we used to be kids (KIDDING!) but they couldn't imagine it. Thought it would just be the greatest thing to be their age and be able to just.... take off for the day. Hmmmmm. I wish they could just experience that!

Old May 15th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Im only 37, but I remember we were lucky if we got to watch tv... and then it only had 4 stations...my son thinks me & hubby are crazy when we talk about "remember whens" - he says " AND THAT WAS FUN TO YOU " - if they only knew....
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Admiral

When I grew up we only had 3 T.V. stations in the city I lived in and two of those were so fuzzy you couldn't watch them unless my little sister stood next to the rabbit ears and held the end of one rod with her left hand and her right hand pointing north.

Everytime she sneezed or coughed, the picture would go out and Dad and I threw stuff at her. Oh, yes...........those were the days!!!!!!!! <wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 17th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Gianna S.

Yes, how sad.................My son doesn't understand how easy he has it,we told him when we were kids we actually had to get up and change the channel and adjust the rabbit ears(remember them). Also black and white television. The only time to really watch cartoons was on Sat. morning.........We would ride bicycles, rollerskate, play dolls, play manhunt,hopscotch,anyone remember bottlecaps(melt crayon in a bottle cap, perhaps cheat and put a penny in there.)I would love to go back and be a kid all over again, if only I knew then what I know now. My boys are good children they love playing outside, do you know in his school he was given a calculator, I don't get it............thanks for the memories.
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Do you remember when a whole bunch of kids could spend a whole day "playing " with nothing but a pink rubber ball (Spalding , why did we pronounce it salldeen?) and a cut off broom stick ? Nothing plugged in, no uniforms, no paid umpires, no field , no cleats,
no instructional videos. no "camp" . just a rubber ball, a stick and a bunch of kids.