Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:44 PM
cruisingkandJ

Default Weather Warning

I read on AOL that the hurricane season will be a busy one this year. A "heads up" for all of you folks planning a cruise this summer. Just because the price is right, doesn't mean the place or the timing is.

J.
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Weather Warning

Great. I book a summer cruise, and now there's gonna be huricanes? I just can't win lately can I?

donna

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Thom P

from noaa weather.....FOR NEXT WEEK WHEN I'm CRUISING!!! Posted on other parts of this board as well. Keeping my fingers crossed

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
235 PM EDT TUE MAY 18 2004

.DISCUSSION...WESTERN ATLANTIC RIDGE TO TRANSLATE FURTHER SOUTHWARD
THROUGH THE WEEK WHILE WEAKENING. THIS WILL KEEP CONDITIONS MOSTLY
DRY WITH LESS WIND OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. DEEP MOISTURE WILL
REMAIN WELL REMOVED FROM THE REGION...AND WITH NO LARGE SCALE LIFT
PRESENT...EXPECT ONLY ISOLATED SHOWERS...AND POSSIBLY A FEW
THUNDERSTORMS...TO DEVELOP. NOT MUCH ELSE TO DISCUSS NEAR TERM.

EXTENDED MODEL RUNS LOOK RATHER INTERESTING THOUGH. THE GFS HAS NOW
BEEN CONSISTENT...RUN TO RUN...IN DEVELOPING A LOW OVER THE
SOUTHWEST CARIBBEAN BY FRI/SAT AND TRACKING IT NORTHEASTWARD (BUT
WELL EAST OF THE AREA) THROUGH EARLY NEXT WEEK. IT WOULD BE EASY TO
DISCOUNT ONE MODEL...BUT ALL OF THEM? THERE IS MODEL CONSENSUS
ON...AT LEAST WEAK LOW PRESSURE...SPINNING UP SOMEWHERE IN THE
SOUTHWEST CARIB BASIN BY THIS WEEKEND. UKMET/ECMWF/CANADIAN/NOGAPS
ALL DEPICT THIS. HOWEVER...THIS IS FAR OUT IN TIME...AND WITH ALL
THE UNCERTAINTY...MADE NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO THE EXTENDED. IT IS
GETTING TO BE THAT TIME OF THE YEAR THOUGH. THE ATLANTIC HURRICANE
SEASON OFFICIALLY STARTS JUNE 1ST...BUT STORMS HAVE FORMED WELL
BEFORE THEN...SUCH AS ANA OF LAST YEAR.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Admiral

One our best cruises was aboard a ship that deviated its itinerary due to a hurricane. They gave us a $100 cabin credit. We had an extra sea day, and we ended up in new port that had only been opened that very day. Everything was new and the excursions fresh, as well.
Ships will not even approach an area that had the slightest chance of being affected by any questionable weather.
Living in S. Florida, we are susceptible to hurricanes anyway, so it really doesn’t factor in our cruising decisions. As a matter of fact, it looks as if we will be cruising in September or October this year, which is a busy time for hurricanes.

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Admiral

It's not a factor in our cruising decisions, either. The funny part is that EVERY year they say, "watch out, this one will be a doozy!"

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old May 19th, 2004, 10:18 AM
SienaBlaze

I hope not. This is my parents first cruise and their 40th wedding anniversary. Everyone please keep there fingers crossed that the weather will be good the last week of June

Siena Blaze

Old May 19th, 2004, 11:38 AM
cruisinKandJ.

Not everyone agrees that a deviation in a cruise itinerary is a good thing. We had that happen during the Grand Prix in Monaco. Many people, including me, were very disappointed not to be able to go there.

Besides, I can't imagine why anyone would deliberately book a cruise or any other kind of trip knowing that a hurricane approaches. Not all bosses are sympathetic when you get stuck some place, either. Who wants to spend their vacation in a dingy hotel basement while the wind howls? I know a few who did, and the boss lady said next time, save enough money to travel when the season is better.

J.
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Admiral

OK J,
Just let me know, what ships are going to be affected and when the hurricane is going to form, so I can book my next cruise. Also, money is not a factor in everyones life. I have the money to cruise anytime I want. It’s the fact that I am Jr. Executive that is instructed by the Owners, Presidents, Vice Presidents, and company occurrences that govern when I can take my vacations. And if you are suggesting too give up cruising because of hurricane season… That is not an option. Others are adverse to change and may feel their entire life is ruined because of an unforeseen incident in change of itinerary. Then there are people like me that make the best of a given situation no matter what is dealt to us.
I’ll be awaiting your hurricane location schedule, and list of ships affected, so I can book my next cruise…jk

Post Edited (05-19-04 12:07)
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:55 PM
cruisinKandJ.

Lucky you, if money is of no concern. Most of us wish we could say that. But just because you can afford to take risky chances, doesn't mean the rest of can or want to. We're not all that rich or that adventurous.

J.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Admiral

J’
What I am saying is. The cruise ships DO NOT TAKE CHANCES. Whether I am rich or adventurous is not a factor, It doesn’t matter who is on board. They just will not take chances, period. However, I am saying that, They don’t take you and dump you in some foreign dive, as you have suggest. They simply divert their course from harms way. The manner in which you phrased your remark, you’ll have people believing they will be thrown off ship and abandoned at first sight of a hurricane. That is simply absurd.
You will be hard-pressed to find any cruise ship that has even come close to a hurricane with today’s technology. You would not even be aware of a storm if it were not for the announcements or TV’s on board.

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Admiral

and its not like hurricanes just "pop-up" out of nowhere. The cruise ships have plenty of warning and they will divert to a different port out of harms way ( and compensate you for it) if a hurricane is brewing around. Book a Southern route during hurricane season, these islands are out of the hurricane belt.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Mark&Deb

Alas! We do not have to worry about hurricaines - just the occasional tornado! So far so good this season. Thought we would have some sprouting last nite as the air was thick & the sky was that weird pink to green shade but we awoke to another day.

Mark&Deb