CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   US Immigration -MIAMI airport (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/268704-us-immigration-miami-airport.html)

sean uk May 19th, 2004 04:44 PM

US Immigration -MIAMI airport

I have to tell this as it is. We have been 2x to the US for cruises via Miami. It is the most dreadful experience we have ever had. Firstly we were approximately 300 British cruise passengers arriving late at night in Miami. We were tired but we do know how to stand in lines. It took an average of 2 hrs for us to get through immigration that night and 3 hrs the next day!. There was no refreshment available and nowhere to sit - terrible for elderly people in particular.

The attitude of the immigration staff was absolutely dreadful. They treated us as if we were about to invade the country - they were aggressive and unforgiving if one failed to understand their questions ! Hey - we are the British - your friends and (only?) Allies.
We all thought it was right over the top and very much 'lets play soldiers and abuse everyone' It really was embarrassing to watch them strutting their piece.

A huge number of people said they would never ever go back again. It is a real shame and this OTT approach does not go down well.
Sean UK

Thomas May 19th, 2004 06:46 PM

Re: US Immigration -MIAMI airport

Let me personally apologize for your inconvenience with our immigration staff. I can come up with a number of reasons why they would be overcautious but I won't go into that since we all know how sensitive America is since the attacks on our country.

I travel a lot on business and don't like how travel has become so much more annoying due to security issues. I wish it wasn't that way, but unfortunately it is now reality, and I have to accept it, regardless of it's irritations.

Regards,
Thomas

sue May 20th, 2004 07:08 AM

Re: Re: US Immigration -MIAMI airport

2 years ago I encountered similar problems at the port of Miami. I have been living in the USA for over 20 years and have a permanant green card. When we existed the ship the immigration guy was rude and very unfriendly. He continue to argue with me and kept asking me why I haven't become a american citizen considering I have been living here for so long. Not that was any of his business! Plus he tried to tell me my green card expired and told me the laws had changed due to 9-11. I tried to explain to him my card was different and there are different types of cards. And never mind I have traveled many times overseas with this card and never encountered any problems. He was about to take my card! Finally he let me and my card go....I did call Immigrations and they confirmed what we knew all along. Bottom line: The guy was full of it and did not have a clue what he was doing! Since then I have been to Germany and did not have problems with my card. Sometimes I do wonder who these people are at the ports....

LisaK May 20th, 2004 08:13 AM

Re: US Immigration -MIAMI airport

that is one of the main reasons why i try to avoid Miami. I hate that airport. I will fly into Ft. Lauderdale and take ground transportation to Miami to avoid the hassle of that airport. I can understand that they have an extremely stressfull job, but you can do your job without being a read hard a#$. Maybe they need sensitivity training??