Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Yeoman

Default Delta filing bankruptcy??

On another thread, someone was talking about Delta going out of business.(or filing bankruptcy) Has anyone else heard this and where?
We have our cruise booked and using sky miles for our flight.

I called Delta directly this morning. They said this rumor as well. She said they're always the last to hear stuff as well. She didn't THINK it was true. Sometimes I think they know more than they can say.

This was the first time I've heard this today. Just wondering what I missed. They're such a huge airline, I couldn't imagine this. What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Whiteknight

Default Re: Delta filing bankruptcy??

This rumor has been around for awhile. I have reason to believe it was begun by Delta management in an attempt to gain some wage and/or benefit concessions from their employees. However, that said, it OPEC doesn't vote to increase oil production at their mid-June meeeting and thereby cause the price of jet fuel to decrease, it may become a reality. Only time will tell.
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re:Delta filing bankruptcy??

Here is the news item as run in many media outlets on May 11:

Delta Airlines remains under a cloud of financial uncertainty.

The nation's third-largest airline says it may need to seek bankruptcy protection unless it's unions agree to more consessions. Delta has lost more than $3 billion and laid off 16,000 employees in the last three years.

The Atlanta-based carrier is seeking a 30 percent pay cut from pilots, calling pay-cut offer inadequate. The pilots union released a statement saying it's willing to help Delta cut costs and has attempted to negotiate with the company.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Delta filing bankruptcy??

Air Canada has been under bankruptcy protection for a year, and things are not looking good. We are flying Air Canada for both our upcoming cruises, so not only does it affect our cruises, but more importantly, my husband's job as well. Talk about being on tenderhooks! (And employees are always the last to know!)