CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Keith's Seizure Problems (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/268826-keiths-seizure-problems.html)

cruisingkandJ May 27th, 2004 08:42 PM

Keith's Seizure Problems

Wednesday, Keith was quite agitated and had more seizures. My son-in-law and I were in the ICU when his team of doctors were there, so we got to ask questions. The biggest problem, as stated, was that they have not controled or stopped the seizures. The plan is to treat them more aggressively. Consequently, he is now on three anti-seizure medications. They also put a ventilator on him to protect the airway; otherwise, he could aspirate and get pneumonia added to his problems. They have identified that the seizures are coming from is forehead where the incision is. The cause is that the brain is irritated from the surgery. Why Keith is taking so long to recover, only God knows, and believe me, I ask!

I visited Keith twice today. The nurse said he had a couple of minor fits during the night. But today, he was much more quiet. He's heavily sedated, but he's still "in there," and that is, indeed, a gift. Tears ran from his eyes when I told him I loved him, and from my eyes, too. He opens his eyes occasionally, and he can squeeze my hand. The ICU nurse awakens him periodically and asks him for a thumbs up. He does respond. He knows where he is, and he knows why he's there. These, too, are gifts to thank God for.

I didn't see any of the doctors today. Friday, my son-in-law will be at the hospital again. My heart-felt thank you to everyone who has included us in their prayers. We still need them very much.

Judy

rollerdonna May 27th, 2004 09:06 PM

Re: Keith's Seizure Problems

Thanks for keeping us updated Judy, I know it must be so hard for you, but that's what we're here for - shoulder to lean on and a source of prayers and best wishes.
Hope the news gets better tomorrow....

donna

Jeanne&Ellis May 27th, 2004 09:19 PM

Thank you for the upoate, I know it is very hard on you and our prayers continue for you both.

bigjohn461 May 27th, 2004 09:27 PM

Thanks Judy..sounds like a minor improvement and that is good..like you said it is a very good thing he knows his surroundings and responds..that is very good...Be assured that we are here and prayers are still coming your way for Keith and your family..stay strong and keep the faith..GOD BLESS.

dezertcruzer May 27th, 2004 09:34 PM

Prayers continue to wing their way to the both of you. Stay strong. Stay positive. Being there for Keith is sooo important! (((((((HUGS))))))

Lisa May 28th, 2004 12:32 AM

Any progress, no matter how little, is a good sign! Continued prayers heading out your way!

cruisingks May 28th, 2004 03:58 AM

Continue to be strong. Sending lots of prayers and thoughts your way. I hope today is a better day.

karen

Seahunks May 28th, 2004 04:07 AM

God bless you and Keith. A lot of folks are praying for you.

http://www.cruisemates.com/animated/...ing_smlCLR.gif
I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...=04&hour=16:00

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!

cruisingkandJ May 28th, 2004 05:29 AM

Re: Re: Keith's Seizure Problems

Thank you, Seahunks. Right now, Keith needs all of those prayers.

Judy

belgique May 28th, 2004 08:11 AM

Add my prayers to all those above. Have faith and courage - God will provide the strength.

MichelleP May 28th, 2004 08:19 AM

Thanks for the update, Judy. We'll continue to pray for Keith. I hope the new medications continue to help and that his recovery will speed up.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

fasteddie May 28th, 2004 09:05 AM

Include our prayers with all the other CM's. Keith is still alert, so that is a good sign. If only I could donate part of my brain to the cause. DW says it's hardly ever used anyway, so I'd never miss it.

Ed

Set2cruz May 28th, 2004 01:59 PM

Judy you had me a little teary-eyed with your update. I will continue sending prayers your way.

Jason May 28th, 2004 02:19 PM

Hang in there. Thanks for keeping us posted. Prayer have never stopped.

mibrown12 May 28th, 2004 10:09 PM

Hello, glad to hear that he is still responding, Hopefully it will only be a matter of time, to get the meds right, then he will stop the seizures. We are still all praying and also send our love and hugs to both you and keith.

Michele