Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Default I needed to write this down

The year was 1969. The sixties were coming to an end, the world was about to celebrate the 25th anniversary of D Day. Grandpa Gus and Grandma Rose were out to dinner for their anniversary . We were just finishing dinner and preparing to put Christina (then 10 months old) to bed. My wife (you know her as Gram) sat in the living room with her Grandmother Margaret. I picked up the phone when it rang and the voice on the other end was a familiar one, but not one I expected a phone call from. Mom's next door neighbor Jeane was as close as any relative to us growing up. She had no children and we were her adopted family. She said my name and with one word I knew something was terribly wrong.
A year earlier was a happy time . Brother Joe' s birth was a bit of a surprise to my parents after 20 years and not 6 months later came Christina their first grandchild. June of 1968 brought my Dad's graduation from law school at age 45 and Donald's graduation from West Point (and later that year some tears as he left to serve in Viet Nam). Early in 1969 came a phone call from Japan. Donald was in a hospital, wounded in a road side bombing (very similar to today's almost every day news). Many members of his unit had been killed. After a month , a choice was offered. Go home or go back to Viet Nam. Donald chose to return to Veit Nam. To our parents his explanation was simple. "This is what I do. I'm good at it and because of that others will get to go home ". Mom reluctantly accepted that.
Jeane's call came on June 4 ,1969, 35 years ago tomorrow. The only words she spoke were , "Donald has been killed, come home".
A rocket fired from a base in Cambodia was a direct hit on a command bunker at the base Donald was posted to. A number of soldiers lost their lives that day. The next hours , days and weeks are etched forever in my memory. It was a time for strength of family and friends .
No one should ever have to receive that phone call or hear those words about a son or brother. Donald was the first of 19 members of his class to lose their lives in Viet Nam.
This past week we rightfully "celebrated " Memorial Day, as those who have given their lives in service should be celebrated. We have dedicated a memorial in Washington to the Veterans of the most terrible conflict this planet has ever seen and on Sunday we will commemerate the 60th anniversary of DDay. If you know a Veteran, thank him for his service, or stop to think of a love one passed on .
I celebrate Donald's life , the 21 years we spent together and 35 years of his memory are a very large part of the person I am and the citezen of the world I strive to be.
Thank you for allowing me to set down my thoughts and please join me tomorrow in prayers for our Cruisemate friends who need our good thoughts and prayers as a way of celebrating Donald's life.
Papa
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: I needed to write this down

Bill, that was so touching. I feel deeply moved by what you wrote. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Edited to say thank you to all veterans and military reading these boards. We are truly grateful.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Post Edited (06-03-04 11:34)

Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Touching. As a Ritired Air Force Veteran and served during 3 Wars I can recognize the hardships we suffered. Suffering existed both with families back home and to the Service person who served. Thanks to all.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:39 AM
Admiral

You Got it PapaBill...I guess we all lost something in that war..I know I did and this is a good idea..thanks.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: I needed to write this down

Very moving. Thank-you

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Bill.. A VERY touching tribute to your brother, and to all veterans. Have to admit to getting a bit teary eyed as I read.

Not at all surprising to see such compassion and well expressed emotion from a man, how over the years I've grown to know on the net, and respect.

One day I just know we're going to end up on the same ship, and I'll shake your hand, and give you a hug in person. <G>

Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:37 PM
Yeoman

Papabill
Thank you for such a beautiful story of what has happened in your life. We should all be so proud to be Americans. Very touching.

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Thanks Papa Bill for sharing that wonderful tribute with us. It really helps to hear personal accounts that bring these events even closer to home. I'm sorry to hear of the sacrifice that your brother made, but so very grateful that he and others like him are willing to serve their country no matter what the cost to protect our rights and our freedoms.

Phyll

Old June 3rd, 2004, 03:02 PM
VTJen

Thank you for sharing. May none of us ever forget the sacrifices that have been made that we might live free.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Papa Bill thanks for sharing those memories with us all. We do need to stop every so often and think about the sacrifices that are being made today by our boys who are fighting and to remember those that have given their lives throughout history protecting our freedom.

Remember "Freedom isn't Free"

Carnival Glory
Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
cruisingkandJ

Default Re: Re: I needed to write this down

Very touching. So glad I sat down to read it.

J.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

A wonderful tribute to a brave young man. As stated above, we need to remember all of our veterans and servicepeople all the time.

My first husband died in Viet Nam - another fine young man lost to a war that wasn't popular here at home. I have an opinion on whether we should be in Iraq or not, but I won't post it here, but I do know we need to pray for and support our troops over there.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Touching story PapBill, thanks for sharing. i guess we all owe something to our soldiers, and for this I give thanks.

donna

Old June 4th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Thank you my friends. I visited West Point this morning and spent a few quiet moments . Donald and several other good friends are at rest there.
Thank you for your good wishes and kind words and for indulging my need to write down my thoughts somewhere.
Papa