Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:30 PM
Yeoman

Default Hamster Horror

Just have to share this story. It begins Christmas Day...My daughter recieves a gift from my (demented)sister. What she has wanted forever!! Hamsters! A mommy and a daddy hamster. New Years Eve mommy hamster (Ginger)gives birth to 6 babies. We buy another cage, so this doesn't happen again and find adoptive families for the offspring. 2 days later I come home from work to find that my daughter has decided "Stanley" was lonely and allowed the pair to play together. I quickly returned Stanley to his own place, and scolded my daughter. Valentines day Ginger gives birth to 10 babies. None of our friends will even make eye contact for fear of being nagged into adopting a hamster, and at this rate our house will look like the set of "Willard" in 6 months. I am researching "rodent birth control" as I have just found out that the little critters are sexually mature at appx 24 days of age, when I notice I have not heard "the wheel" in a little while. To my horror I notice a cage door ajar, and Ginger is gone! She left her babies and fled! Now I have the moral delimma....do I let nature take its course, and the babies die of neglect? Or figure out a way to feed 10 hairless, blind,pink, hamster larvae? While I was in the kitchen concocting an acceptable orphan animal formula and figuring out how to make a hamster baby bottle out of a turkey injector syringe, my hubby came up with the idea that "The momma hamster won't just abandon the babies and an easy source of food, just leave the cage open and she will come back to care for her babies". Well he was half right...She did want to care for the babies, just not in the cage..In the morning I found the cage completely empty....all 10 babies gone. We searched high and low for the little buggers. Emptied closets, cabinets, no sign anywhere. Two weeks pass, the pantry has not been raided, what is she eating? How is she feeding the babies? Well...one evening while working out in the exercise room, my DH notices a couple red feathers on the floor. He begins looking around and finds a nest, constructed of feathers from a Mardi Gras feather boa tucked in a corner behing a bookshelf.The nest is also filled with 5 little chocolate bottles, that had been filled with various liquors-Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort,and Grand Marinier...Ginger was easy to catch as she could not run fast while drunk, and sadly the babies did not know when to say when and all had expired from the chocolate and alcohol binge. After a very cold funeral service in the back yard, we are down to just Ginger and Stanley.
Anyone wanna hamster for a pet?? I will gladly FedEx them!!

Lesley
Conquest
Glory
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hamster Horror

I dont know where you are cruznRN but please let me know..I am not getting near your house or STATE...OOL

Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:52 PM
Yeoman

Awww.what??? A razorback scared of a drunk hamster lol!
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:09 AM
VTJen

WOW!! I'd like to laugh, but I'm just so relieved that this escapade happened at your house and not mine.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Oh dear Lord......my life feels normal now!
Angela Z. who has avoided all hairy pets.

Old June 4th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Hamster Horror

Wow! My kids have been bugging me to get 2 hamsters...I will print out this story for them and my answer will be :NO!!!!!!!

Old June 4th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Admiral

I have a couple of boxes of "Hamster Helper" you can have. The hamster au gratin is particularly good (at least according to our cats).

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Admiral

I have a couple of boxes of "Hamster Helper" you can have. The hamster au gratin is particularly good (at least according to our cats).

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Lesley, I'm glad I had not done my morning makeup yet when I read that story, because I'd have to do it all over again - there are tears of hysterical laughter rolling down my face! OMG, I have not read anything so funny in ages! Having "been there, done that" with a grand total of 27 little critters over a period of 7 years, I can certainly identify. We had lots of babies, lots of untimely deaths, escapes, and even cannibalism, but NEVER did we have a drunk hamster! That one takes the cake! And NO THANK YOU, I don't want another one!

donna (who will be smiling the rest of the day!)

Old June 4th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Parrot Mom

Will swap ONE hamster for a blue fronted amazon who sexually is in love with a little conure...and screeches bloody murder when she is not in his/her sight. No wonder I can't wait for our cruise....
Old June 4th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Admiral

My gosh, is that funny… Now you need to hook them up to your local Rodent AAA chapter. I believe it is named “A little of the Hare”…<g>
Thanks Lesley!

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old June 4th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Yeoman

, this is to funny. Drunken hamsters?? You just needed to get a couple cats, and the hamster problem would be taken care of in no time!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old June 4th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Admiral

And I thought we had problems when I was younger with just one hamster--- nicknamed Houdini---- great escape artist----
Good luck-- and no thank you too
April
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:40 AM
First Mate

Boy can I relate!

My daughter got a hampster for Valentines Day last year from Grandma(after I said NO many times).

Well, the little stinker escaped many times because of this stupid cage we HAD(now she is in an aquarium and can't get out, after about $50 trying 2 different types of cages we ended up with a $10 aquarium!)

The 1st time she got out she chewed all the wires for our DVD, Surround Sound speakers and we were up all night looking for her.........the night before I was makeing a big dinner for relatives for Easter! My husband was P.O.'d! But he spliced all the wires back and all was fine, just a little tired for Easter!

Then she got out again, crawled up under the vanity in the bathroom and somehow got into the duct work! Well, for 2 nights all we heard were these little scratching noises of her trying to climb out, and of course my daughter crying.........we immediately turned the furnace off.

My husband had to cut a hole in the wall inside the vanity to get at her...........this is in our brand new house!!! Well she survived but was dirty and starving after her 2 nights in the duct work.

My advice to all who will listen..........DO NOT GET A HAMPSTER. But, my daughter loves her.

Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - 9/27/2003
Old June 4th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Yeoman

We love our "Joe" ( Hamster, now 2 1/2 yrs old) . BUT, hamsters are escape artists! They can get out of their cages, ours escaped three times because we didn't realize he would chew at the cage latches till they "popped " open, even the cage door on the TOP of the cage!!
We wire the cage shut now, and he has been unable to escape lately, but, just a warning if your hammy has gotten out once they get " escape lust" and will try and try again.
Hamsters are good pets though, easy to care for, and feed.
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Yeoman

I glad ya'll enjoyed my hampster story. A new chapter is beginning to unfold as i just found Stanleys cage empty. He is now at large (or is it at small?) I have had enough!! I am going to the store for glue traps!!

Lesley

Old June 6th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Well, if you look at the bright side at least your sister didn't get her a pet snake!

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Admiral

I have a couple of similar stories from my childhood. My poor parents!

Hamsters are cute but I will NEVER AGAIN have any or let my children have any!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old June 7th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Yeoman

Maybe we should get a pet snake to find the lost hamster!