Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Default Jamacia's hip strip

I have been reading about Jamacia and alot of it is not too good. I do want to go to jimmy B's Margat'ville...it really looks good..Not the night life for me though but it says it is good for family during the day. Has anyone had an experience in Jamacia?

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:51 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Jamacia's hip strip

We stayed at the Cocoa LaPalm for 9 nights, located in Negril, 7 miles of beach. We enjoyed it very much. From what I heard, it is one of the nicer/safer places to vacation in Jamaica. But...once we went on our first cruise...well...there's no going back! Give Jamaica a try, it is beautiful there.

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Jamaica is a beautiful island. We honeymooned there, stayed at Couples Resort. The key to Jamaica is to book into an all-inclusive resort like Couples, Sandals, places like that and do your sightseeing thru tours booked with the resort. Jamaica has gotten a really bad reputation with the drugs especially but if you tour smart and use your head there are so many beautiful natural sights on this island. It is a truly lush tropical island.
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

I want to honeymoon in Jamacia but my fiance is dead set against it. His excuse is that the Carribean is too hot and he heard that pot was rampant there and he doesn't want people shoving it in our faces. ::rolls eyes:: We might go to Hawaii but then we'd fight over which islands to go to...

Old June 10th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Andrea,
While driving arouns Maui we encountered a 'person' who was standing alongside the roadway openly offering pot for sale! This was in a more remote area but still a strange sight to be sure. Jamacia does have a good bit of pot but I personally have never had it offered to me for sale while I have had it offered in the Bahamas, St Thomas and St Maarten! <G> Go and enjoy this beautiful country, Jamacia, and treat the locals as you would wish to be treated ,with respect and honesty, and they will treat you exceptionally well in return.
Jim

Old June 10th, 2004, 10:58 AM
First Mate

Actually, Andrea, it was a nice 85 degrees everyday with a wonderful sea breeze, however, he is correct about the pot in your face thing.

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old June 10th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Admiral

I may have misled you..We are sailing and this is just one port of call..but thanx for all the good info..I would like to vacation there someday, but its cruising for now..thanx again. Any other info will be welcomed..

Old June 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM
salem5050

Been to Jamaica past two years and spent the day in Jimmy Buffets...wow, what a great place, and yeah its kid safe! And the food is great!

Mary Margaret
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:56 PM
SarahJ

We have been offered pot several times.

This is my least favorite port.
Old June 11th, 2004, 05:08 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Was just in Jamaica this Mar off the Victory. the secret here is to book a tour w/ a private vendor. There are quite a few recommended on these boards. Get a tour book from the library, decide what you want to do and then check out private operators.
Old June 14th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

We went to Jamaica for a week. We stayed at a hotel in Montego Bay, Holiday Inn. We booked our tour from a man who was on the grounds of the hotel. His name was Morris Gifford. He was terriffic. He took us everywhere all week. At the end of the week we invited Morris and his wife to dinner with us. we really had a great time with this lovely couple. We had been warned not to book tour operators that were not on the hotel grounds. Several times we went walking to the shopping area near the hotel. We were approached by many operators and taxi drivers to take us around, we refused. We did have a good time and it is a lovely island.

Cruznut2
Old June 14th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

, I tried to tell him that the weather wouldn't be too hot, especially if we don't go in the summer, but he still doesn't want to go. Oh well. Hawaii is fine with me, but I'd like to go some place I've never been before. It's not like I haven't ever been offered pot before (never took it though) so that wouldn't bother me too much, I'd just walk away, but he doesn't want to deal with it...
ROFL, so far the honeymoon is the only thing related to the wedding we have even discussed so far..

Old June 14th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Admiral

well Andrea, if you really want to go to Jamaica then just book a Caribbean cruise that stops there, that way you can decide what you want to do and if hubby still doesn't want to go ashore, go by yourself.