Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Default Your Favorite Cruise Libation

I was just re-reading the good morning thread, and Michelle mentioned mojitos.

Last year Mgram and I ordered mojitos in Tampa at a chain restaurant, and they were TERRIBLE! However, this past March, when José and I were in Miami pre-Panama Canal cruise, I had mojitos in several locations that really knew how to make them. YUM! YUM! YUM! Now I know why the Cubans like them so much. It is really and truly a very refreshing drink. Can't wait to have another one in November pre-Chicks on the Majesty cruise!

However, onboard any cruise ship, I tend to go for the fruity, rum-filled drink of the day. They seem to come in many varieties, and they're all yummy to me!

On the Celebrity Summit, Let's Get Lei'd 1, it was the French Martini. Remember, Lisa? However, I haven't found anyone who does them as well since.. (

Here in the Arizona desert, at McGrath's Fish House, Mike the Bartender makes a meannn Lemon Drop!

When I go to Costa Rica, it's strictly Imperial beer all the way, and I don't normally drink much beer!

There, now you know the truth. You all thought I was such a "good girl," and now you're finding out what a "lush" I really am! !

Old June 12th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Your Favorite Cruise Libation

Oh the French Martinis on Celebrity are to die for!!!! I recall April enjoying a few too! lol

For me, I usually gravitate to the fruity drinks of the day on the ship (but I really liked the Ocean Breeze on the Island Princess this past fall - right Mike?) In the evening I tend to try the frou-frou martinis; and I am learning to enjoy wine with my dinner.

Jennifer, I cannot wait to try my first mojito this November!! I am trusting you to steer me right!

Post Edited (06-12-04 21:08)
Old June 12th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Admiral

At sea, I prefer scotch on the rocks. However, precruise in NYC had a wonderful Carrot Cake-tail. Tasted like the real thing.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 12th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Please, for the uninformed, what is a mojito? What's in it? I don't like rum, so I'm at a disadvantage with most tropical drinks, but I do like the fruity ones without rum. I have a vivid memory of my very first "drink of the day" onboard my first cruise, the Nordic Empress. It was called a Blue Monday, and boy did it have pucker-power!! I still have to close one eye everytime I even say the name! !

donna

Old June 12th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Champagne, champagne and more champagne. Of course, I wouldn't live up to my Belgian roots if I didn't love beer, too! Read somewhere that Belgium has the highest per capita beer consumption of any country. I try to keep my end up!
Old June 12th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

RD - I did a search for mojito recipes...there are a little variation in them, but basically this is what they are:

MOJITO

12 Mint leaves with stems
tsp Sugar
2 oz Citrus rum
2 oz Fresh citrus juice (lemon/lime)
2 oz Soda water

In a collins glass, place mint and a teaspoon of sugar. Crush the mint using a muddler. Add rum and citrus. Mix again with muddler. Finish with soda water followed by crushed ice.

Post Edited (06-12-04 22:37)
Old June 12th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Your Favorite Cruise Libation

Then there's this one:

Make simple syrup: Heat equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan until just before boiling and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved. Make up a big batch – say a cup of sugar and a cup of water – than toss it in the fridge … it’ll easily keep for a couple of weeks, during which time you’ll be able to whip up mojitos at a moment’s notice, to the delight of your very fortunate friends.
2. Place the mint leaves and 1 tbsp. of the simple syrup (cooled) in the glass, then squish it all around with a spoon (or whatever appropriate utensil you can find) for 20-30 seconds, until you can smell that good minty smell. . what you'll need:
2˝ oz. light rum
1 lime
1 tbsp. simple syrup
mint leaves (8 or so sprigs worth)
ice
club soda
tall glass
spoon, or some other utensil that can be used to mash the mint leaves
3. Cut the lime in half, getting rid of the seeds as well as you can. Squeeze the juice out from both halves into the glass, then drop one half into the glass.
4. Pour in the rum and stir.
5. Add plenty of ice, then top off the mixture with club soda. Garnish with a sprig of mint and enjoy!

Old June 12th, 2004, 11:16 PM
cruisingkandJ

Default Re: Re: Re: Your Favorite Cruise Libation

Sorry, you guys, don't lilke any of that stuff . . . gin and tonic . . . that's it. Now Keith would have only had a traditional martini, but no more. His drinking days are done. Booze could mix dangerously with his meds and give him a seizure. No more booze.

J.
Old June 13th, 2004, 07:54 AM
susancruzs

I'm a major Magarita fan daytime and switch to wine at night before (or during) dinner! Of course, no one has to twist my arm to try some after dinner drink either, specialty coffees, etc.!

HOWEVER, April did twist my arm :-) for a martini tasting and I must admit the French Martini and Cosmopolitan were pretty good!!! :-)

Jennifer, I am SO surprised at you (wink)!

Susie
Old June 13th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Give me my Pina Colado, sex on the beach, anthing fruity with an umbrella..if it dont got no umbrella..I aint drinkin it......I am not a big drinker..well yes I am..I am a big boy..but I dont drink a lot of alcohol..cuz I dent wont to det grunk..and I not near think as you drunk I am...I like anything as long as it does not have tequ in it..uh uhhhh,,oh nooooo...that stuff makes me ten foot tall and bullet proof...what was the question?

Old June 13th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Since the diabetes diagnosis I stay away from all the fruity good drinks (and should probably stay away from all of it! but practice moderation).
I'm a big fan of Absolut Mandrin which I used to drink with a splash of 7Up but have now switched to seltzer.
Angela Z.

Old June 13th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Guess I don't belong here! My favorite drink is ice water.
Old June 14th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Admiral

In the afternoon, I enjoy gin & sprite /w lime. But most of the time, I'll have my Mich. Lite.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old June 14th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Admiral

I usually go with a Corona, or the drink of the day, or something fruity, or a pina colada.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old June 14th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Admiral

i usually go for the "drink of the day" didn't care for "sex on the beach" "chocolate banana" was wonderful. With dinner is usually Kettle One and tonic with a twist of lemon or a glass of wine.
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Yeoman

On the beach nothing beats a cold Heinken
On the ship I looked forward every afternoon to one big Chocolate Banana!! They are so refreshing, and the cold slushiness helped keep me cool!!! Just holding that glass and looking out at the sea from the aft deck makes any sea day and great day!!
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Yeoman

My current fav is Michelob Ultra...but I will have a Violeta Martini to sip before dinner..an awesome Absolute and Chambord concoction!

Lesley

WOo WOo Double Digits!!

Conquest 9/03
Glory 9/04