Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default I Beg Your Pardon.!!!!

There is an interesting article in this months Conde Nast Traveler, about customs in other countries...What you think of as perfectly acceptable, may get you, embarrased, yelled at, or even beaten up...Some things are just common sense, like covering up, while in a house of worship...but things seemingly so normal to you, could cause great offense to people in your host country..

For instance..In Bali,,but I think this may be the case in other countries as well..Once you barter for the price of a rug, and agree on a price, it's considered, unacceptable to recind that offer..

If you are presented to the Queen of England, you must NEVER instigate the concversation, or EVER touch royalty before being touched..

And finally, if you are in a bar in Crete.. and to greet the bartender, you raise your hand, fingers splayed,motionless, and he then refuses to serve you.....roughly , and politeley translated, what you just said, is .."here's mud in your eye.." and quite the insult..

Have you ever, in your travels,made an error in etiquette, or noticed someone offending, due to ignorance on their part of the customs of the country? I wonder if there is a book about this subject..there MUST be, because I am sure that the offences are made quite innocently in most cases...Thanks to Conde Nast, when I meet the Queen, I will be quiet

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2004, 09:44 PM
cruisingkandJ

Default Re: I Beg Your Pardon.!!!!

Well, I told ya, when we were in London in April, the quen was really ticked off when I couldn't have lunch with her, and peope on CruiseMates thought it was funny . . .

But seriously, when will we see pix of the new pup and the other pooches?

J.
Old July 4th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Judith.. I have some pix..hopefully someone will put them up tomorrow..since i cannot figure that out yet..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 5th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Yeoman

In Victoria don't ask to see the" Indian " Totem poles, souvenir shops, etc, Our FIRST NATION peoples are not from India.
Also when entering a small shop in France it is considered very rude not to call out "bonjour" before asking for service or asking a question. Always "greet first"
The Italian word "chow" is used between friends ,not between strangers!
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Admiral

And in some places tipping is an insult too--lol----- I do miss my Travel Holiday magazine-- they used to have all sorts of tips and taboos---
April
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Admiral

I know that somewhere if you give someone the thumbs up...its the same as flipping them off here. I cant remeber where it is though.