Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:28 PM
cruisinKandJ.

Default Haunted??

Hey, CM's. I just watched a program on the Travel Channel about haunted hotels. Apparently, the most haunted place in the country is Gettysburg, PA. Understandable. A bed and breakfast there, called Farnsworth House, has fourteen ghosts, and not all of them Civil War soldiers.

Although I thought Gettysburg was fascinating,I have no desire to stay anywhere that's haunted. We stayed in a regular hotel while visiting there. So far as I'm concerned, the ghosts can stay in their world ,and I'll stay in mine.

How about all of you out there? Ever stayed in a haunted hotel pre-cruise, post-cruise, or any other time? Did you ever see a ghost?

J.
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Haunted??

No, but I swear my house is haunted with a smoking ghost, or at least a ghost who likes to light candles. Ever since we moved in we've smelled the scent of burning candles off and on, very definate smell, but nothing burning anywhere. We also smell strong cigarette smoke all the time, and none of us smoke. Very strange...

donna

Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Several years back, there were some pictures taken onboard the Majesty of the Seas, which was supposed to be haunted..I can't remember why but I do remember the pictures..spooky...I watched the same show, and not far away from me in Sudbury Mass, in the Wayside Inn, there is supposed to be a female ghost, waiting for her lover, who had gone to sea, but never camer back..."Listen my children, and you shall hear, the midnight ride of Paul Rvere was written there....BOOOOOOOOOOOO !!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Well, my husband bought a keyboard from a co-worker that used to belong to a musical group. After he brought it in the house, strange things started happening. For example, my mirror in the bathroom, which has sat on the toilet for years, began falling off by itself. Once the TV (very creepy!) had turned itself to channel 666, and one night when hubby was watching TV, it turned itself to video mode....after these things started happening, Ron told me that his co-worker had the same problem!!!

It's been quiet here lately, but that thing is about ready to go for a swim in the pool!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:57 PM
Admiral

The house I lived in when I was a teenager ,the Crocker Tavern, was featured on PBS as one of the houses on Cape Cod that is haunted. My brother claims to have seen the ghost of a revolutionary soldier there, and my sister claims to have seen the ghost of Lydia Crocker.

Phyll

Post Edited (08-03-04 11:44)
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

When I was at Carson-Newman College back in the mid 80's, my dorm was a converted Civil War hospital. Many strange and unexplainable things occured and when I shared things that happened with my friends in other rooms and they could finish what I was going to say because they saw/heard/smelled it also.

One night in particular, I was awakened by a lot of noise coming from the floor above me - keep in mind it was during the last day of finals and about 5 am and most students had gone home, including the ones in both the rooms on either side of me. It sounded like a group of people walking around playing a loud radio - but it wasn't music or talk radio like we know it today - it was more like an old radio show. It was so clear that I could make out some of the words. The next morning I told my best friend who lived across the hall and about 15 feet down. She heard everything too. It wouldn't have been such a big deal, but the floor above us was a supposedly empty and sealed off attic.

That is just one of many things I encountered while there (and the one that takes the least time to tell).

Jodi

Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:19 PM
cruisingkandJ

Default Re: Re: Haunted??

What prompted all of this was that after watching the t.v. show, I remembered the trip my DH and I made to Minnesota while my dad was still alive. One day, we drove to what used to be the Mineral Springs Sanitorium. Mike, do you remember that? Back in the 40's and 50's, it specialized in tuberculosis, so a lot of people died there.

It was a large brick structure in a beautiful forested area. Anyway, it became derelct. Keith and I drove there one day with my parents. They refused to get out of the car. My DH and I went in to the structure. The entryway had a long sloping drive for an ambulance. It was pitch black. The admissions area still has the old carpet. The rooms on that level where shrouded in cob webs and darkness.

Right about then, we heard a door slam somewhere. It could have been an animal, it could have been a bum. My DH said, "Let's get out of here." and we did.

Later, I heard that it burned to the ground.

J.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:54 AM
Admiral

When my stepdaughter Mikie was getting chemo at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia my wife and I stayed at Ronald McDonald House. It is an old mansion that was built by the publisher of the Philadelphia Inquirer. We stayed in one room in the back of the mansion, which was an addition. That night we kept hearing a little girl giggling in the room behind us. We dismissed it until a couple of days later it dawned on me that there was no room behind us, just a series of 4 storage closets. I mentioned it to the front desk and they (of course) denied any ghost but were puzzled as there were no children in that section. Families are normally in the modern wing which have private baths. Finally one of the security guards mentioned that he heard what we had reported. He said that she was a ghost and that despite what the desk says there are more presences in the house.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:28 AM
Admiral

My mom and I stayed in the Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville, Louisiana. When she booked the room, we had a choice of staying either in the original main plantation house, or in a room in an outbuilding the proprieters built to house their B&B guests. We chose the room in the outbuilding.

The ghost tour was absolutely fascinating, made a little less creepy by the presence of a troop of shrieking girl scouts. But the place is scary, and if I can believe anywhere to be haunted, it would be that house.

That night we didn't see any strange disturbances but my mom and I both did not sleep well and had very bad dreams.

In the morning we happened to talk to the two ladies who got the room we would have stayed in had we chosen to stay in the main house. They were both awakened in the night by someone laughing. In the morning one of them said to the other, "What were you laughing at?" and the other said, "I was going to ask you the same thing - it wasn't me."

Let me tell you though, even though I don't think I would stay there again, I would make a special trip just for their restaurant - it is fabulous!

I've seen the Myrtles on Travel Channel and Discovery Channel documentaries, so keep an eye out if you're interested in this sort of thing.

Cheers,
Michelle P.