Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2004, 06:57 PM
cruisingkandJ

Default Ship Classes

Could somebody please define what Voyager Class and Spirit Class are How do they compare to each other and to the Grand Class on Princess?

J.
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Ship Classes

Try Travel-by-Net to compare the ships and their size----
Sorry I'm drawing a big blank here--- the clueless part of me is showing
I know that the Spirit Class is for Carnival's fleet of ships-- that were built-- the first being the Carnival Spirit--- Voyage class is from RCCL and as you said the Grand class is for Princess ----
Maybe our trivia people will know the correct answer
Great question-- think I'll go look that up
Cheers
April
Old August 7th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

J.. "Classes of ships" are simply a group of ships which are basically "sister" ships, built on the same hulls, and almost identical except for interior decor, and possibly a few minor changes as more of the same "class" are built.

The Voyager Class are from RCI and all are in the 140,000 ton range.. all have rock climbing walls, and the "signature" ice skating rinks, a promenade, and double atrium, and some cabins with windows viewing to the promenade. They all feature one three storey main dining room (though each level is given a different name).

The Spirit Class are from Carnival, and are all approximately 90,000 tons... they feature 3 seperate swimming pool areas, one with a magadrome, that can be closed in inclement weather, and water slides. Lots of different lounges for variety in Entertainment, and a terrific lido buffet set up, with various serving stations, rather than just a long line buffet.
The Spirit Class have on "main" dining room, and traditional 2 seatings for dinner.

The Grand Class are from Princess, and all are approx. 105,000 tons... they also feature 3 pools, and the magadrome. The Grand class features a traditional dining room, as well as other dining rooms used for PC , or anytime dining.
With these ships, Princess has tried to create many smaller, more intimate spaces inside. To try and give these huge ships more of a small ship feel.

Hope that gives you some idea of some of the differences.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

To be more specific:
Voyager class
--voyager of the seas--explorer of the seas--adventure of the seas--navigator of the seas--mariner of the seas -- (1999-2003)
1,020 feet long----157.5 feet wide---142,000 tons
3,114 passengers double occupancy--3,838 passengers max.--Crew capacity max. about 1,180.
Nice ships, but enormous, in my opinion way too crowded. I've sailed this class three times. Service isn't as good as on the smaller ships i've sailed if you ask me, same with the food. this is THE mega ship!

Spirit class
--Carnival Spirit--Carnival Pride--Carnival Legend--Carnival Miracle-- (2001-2004)
963 feet long---105 feet wide (panamax)---88,500 tons
2,124 passengers double occupancy--based on Paradise which has about 100 less double berths, I'd say about 2500 maximum capacity--930 standard crew.

Spirit class ships are very nice from what I hear. Lots of balconies, long but can still make it transcanal. Many less passengers compared to Voyager etc. but voyager class ships are very nice on interior design and they do have certain amenities that have not found their way onto other ships. Both have azipod propulsion systems. Having sailed the voyager class ships and then gone on to a smaller ship on Carnival, I doubt i'd return to RCCL's mega-ships like Voyager. It is YOUR choice.
oh and grand princess is 109,000 tons to be exact.