Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Default Hurricanes...oh joy.

Well, I have been bragging for years on how we are always so safe here in St Augustine from those darn hurricanes because the way the coast indents here in NE Florida. Guess God is letting me know that we should never feel too safe. Seems that this minor hurricane Bonnie is slated to come ashore near the big bend area and track just west of Jacksonville giving us the worst part of this storm on Thursday. Following tat is Charlie that looks like it could become a major hurricane and they believe that it also will turn back to the NE and come ashore in just about the same place or slightly east and again hit us with the eye going just to the west of us nailing us again. At least we don't have any storm surges to worry about like the poor folks on the west coast of Fl that look like they will get nailed badly with a one two punch. Our prayers go towards these folks.
Jim

Old August 10th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: Hurricanes...oh joy.

At least I won't be in Orlando next week when/if Charley hits....looks like the tracking map is taking it at a faster speed than I thought and it will be far enough north so that I will still get to do the west. carib. I will have a very rainy day from Bonnie it looks like, on Saturday during embarkation. But who cares....I have 7 days after that to have a blast!!

Old August 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Jim:

It looks like my flight Thursday night from Atlanta to Orlando will fly right over the top of Bonnie. Should make for an interesting trip home.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 10th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Jim,
I was going to take you up on your "Come on Down" offer but I guess I'd rather put up with fumes than a hurricane. <VBG>

You and Sylvia stay safe!!!
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Admiral

I'll be thinking about all you Floridians, AND all the folks out there on the open ocean!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Lynne &Trevor

We'll probably get some of Charlie if it hits near Tampa. We're about 80 miles inland, but I know with Hurricane Hugo in '89, which I worked with the Red Cross, trees were down or bent not too far from Columbia, which is about 100 miles in from Charleston. We will definitely get some wind and rain from it. Also, the People on the Coast tend to evacuate inland during these storms so we may see some traffic from it.
Other Retirement facilities on the Coast brought their people to our building when there was the potential for a bad hurricane a few years ago.

As a staff person, I am required to do something to help at the Facility. Having been with the Red Cross, I'm usually there for the duration.I was there until 1AM one year but the storm passed by-I think it was Mitch or George, and we got nothing but a light wind and a little rain. We've had worse thunderstorms! But, in Florida, we tend to prepare for the unexpected.

I'm sure that you'll all enjoy your cruises this next week. The Captains aren't about to navigate in rough seas or cause any undo danger to any of you! Have a good time.

Lynne

Old August 10th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Admiral

The 11:00pm forecast moves Bonnie a little to west and north. However, it looks like Charley may head up Tampa Bay and then just west of Orlando and Jacksonville. They are forecasting it will still be hurricane strength when it gets to a little west of Jax Saturday evening.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Admiral

Stay safe, Jim and everyone else in the path!

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old August 11th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Hurricanes...oh joy.

Charley is expected friday here and we are right on the sw coast...time to bring in the lanai furniture! Bonnie will not affect us...

Old August 11th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Admiral

Boy am I glad all we get is a little <G> snow in the winter. Those hurricanes cause so much damage. Hope everybody stays safe.

Does anybody up here in the Northeast remember Hurricane Agnes in '72? It caused major flooding through our area (Elmira/Corning).

http://www.stargazettenews.com/newse...d/gallery1.htm

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old August 11th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Dang it, these hurricanes have ruined my weekend travel plans. Phooey.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 11th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES FLORIDA !
I live in St,. Petersburg, Fl so we are watching this one closly. Also, I work on the beaches. Maybe I wont go to work on Friday.
Carole
p.s. I would rather be prepared for a hurricane than have to live thru an earthquake.
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello from Tampa Fl. Looks like we are in for a big blow. Thank you everyone for your concern and prayers.

Old August 12th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Looks like it's headed straight at us. I'm just about 5 miles from Tampa Bay (the water) and about 30 miles south of Tampa International Airport. But not in an evacuation area because I live at the highest elevation (58') in Hillsborough County.

It's slowed down considerably - but we'll be getting tornadoes and 40 to 70 mph winds in the rainbelts that are expected in the next 12 hours ... and these will last about 12 hours inland. The coastal communities have been evacuated - the coast will get the same conditions plus about 3 hours of 70 to 120 mph winds during that 12 hour period. There's a flood watch for the entire area - expecting 4" to 8" of rain. The coast is expecting 10' to 14' of storm surge. They expect landfall close to sunset (about 8 PM).

This is the report from 10:30 PM - next weather bureau advisory will be after 5 AM tomorrow.

Jane

A storm hasn't hit this area since 1921.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Mike Henigan

Take care everyone...its going to be a big blow for sure! We're in Ft Lauderdale, and its not bad right now, will be winds and lots of rain by this evening for sure.

Mike
....What an interesting way to spend ones Honeymoon...wind, rain and maybe the cruise!