Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Default Surprises in Life....Don't wish too hard...

About three weeks ago David and I went out looking at new housing developements. (We like to do that sometimes on the weekend.) Well we found a house plan we liked in a very nice community and made a deposit knowing the house won't be ready until about Christmas or a little later.

Given this, we put our house on the market. Well our house sold in 10 days and now we have to be out of our house by 08-31. So now we get the fun of moving twice.
Meanwhile school will be starting soon and I need to get my classroom in order too!

My stressless summer vacation has turned into a whirlwind of activities like trying to find an acceptable rental (that will accept a dog and a bird) for the interim period, packing hundreds of boxes, picking out granite, wood flooring, carpet, tiles, etc. And that doesn't account for my returning to work very soon.

O.M.G. This is soooooooo stressful! I need a cruise!

Post Edited (08-11-04 09:43)
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:24 AM
venice

Default Re: Surprises in Life....Don't wish too hard...

well some folks would say you are lucky to find a house plan that you like and that your house was in such high demand it sold in 10 days, With most folks it's the opposite...just curious..did not your real estate person suggest you put a clause in your seller contract that would cover the short fall of having to be out of your house so qucikly ?

I understand your stress having moved 11 times in 23 years with my company, but all things will work out...
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Admiral

The problem is that the Real Estate market here in Vancouver, Washington, is extremely hot right now. In fact the average house sale in Clark County is about 12 days and there is very little inventory. My real estate agent said they have the lowest inventory of homes for sale in the recorded history of the MLS here.

The retired woman that bought my house also had to be out of her home by the end of the month so there was no way to rent back or such. We could have waited to list our house I guess, but there is no telling if the market will remain this active through the winter months.

So we did what we had to do.
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Well you will be busy, but what a nice thing to have-a brand new house with your choice of tiles,paint etc!! Just try and think of it that way as you are 'running around like a chicken with its' head cut off'!! Hope you find a short-term rental easily!! Have fun choosing your colours etc.!!

Old August 11th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

CP, Been there done that and believe me moving twice is not so much fun, but really will be worth it when you move into your brand new home! Congratualtions and good luck!

Jeanne

Old August 11th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

At least it's good stress, if there is such a thing.
Angela Z.
Old August 11th, 2004, 03:45 PM
venice

thanks for your explanation...why don't you just take a leave from school, hire a moving/storage company to handle your move, find a kennel for your pets and take a 4 month world cruise, so when you return your new home will be ready, school will be on break, the moving folks will unpack your belongings in your new home, and your pets will be glad to see you (smile)...wow the market is that hot !!!!
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Good luck Chuck! Hope it's smooth sailing past this stressful time, and a cruise at the end of it!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 11th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Thanks all for the encouragement and the giggles. Luckily there is a cruise in our future on the Constellation over Thanksgiving.

Had I known all of this would be going on, I never would have booked the cruise, but I think it will be welcome relief. Besides we got a great deal on the cruise many moons ago and my final payment is only $600 and is due 9-6.

Today we went and ordered all of the appliances. That went quite well actually. I think there is hope and if not there IS a cruise. Thank goodness!
Old August 11th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Chuck..
We did this once. Sold a house, and had to move out, while we custom built our new home.

Most everything went into storage for 4 months, and we survived in a rental in between.

However, we tried not to view it as stress... and instead went about enjoying the adventure of designing and building our home from scratch.
Hope you get the same pleasure from the experience!!