Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Jim_S
Default Caribbean Ports

Going to Western Caribbean in a couple days (cozumel, ocho rios, grand cayman) and was wondering if anyone had any advice as far as what activities to book for the ports..thx

Carnival Triumph 8/21
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Caribbean Ports

Are you an active or more sedentary type of person?

Old August 12th, 2004, 11:05 PM
pg

Also check out Ports board- Caribbean.
There is no shopping( worthwhile ) in Grand Cayamn, so unless you book a stingray excursion, don't bother booking an over priced ship tour of the island. It is small, a taxi van will do it for you for way cheaper, and drop you at the spectacular Seven Mile beach at the end for some beach time.
It's been a long time since I went ot Cozumel, and I think we just did a beach day there too( we love to snorkle, and it was good there) .
Ochio Rios, book a ship tour there, or go to Dunns River Falls on your own by taxi. Many people find the locals in Jamaica a bit pushy( and they are) so I don't recommend going on your own there.
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Hi Jim,
I have been to all the ports you mentioned.
Grand Cayman is best for the scuba/snorkling type if you are in to that. As of today hurricane Charley has passed over the islands. Check on the damage before you go.
The shopping is expensive there.They have set prices. You can get any cab/ bus to take you around. Set a price first, we paid $20 pp for a large van with 7 people. The best sites are the turtle farm, Hell (yes, get a post card stamped there) You can tell your friends you went to Hell and back. Spanish Bay reef has a good beach bar and swimming. the 7 mile beach is all buit up with condos, hotels, etc and very crowded.
I like to dive so we have stayed at the dive hotels.
Cozumel is a tiny island and you can rent a car to drive around. Go on line and get one before you leave then the price is lower. If you wait and rent a car when you arrive you will pay $50 to $85 a day.
I would not dive in Cayman as they drive on the left side of the road, and boy do they drive like N.Y. cabbies, but Cozumel is right side.
In Ocho Rios take the raft trip down the river or Dunns River falls is nice. Be sure to wear rubber soled shoes as the rocks are slippery
Hope this helps with your plans.
Carole
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Jim_S

thanks guys

Carnival Triumph 8/21