Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:28 PM
carabro

Default Has anyone experienced dizziness AFTER a cruise??

Just got off the boat yesterday (Carnival Jubilee) and ever since I've been experiencing bouts of dizziness. Is this unusual????
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise
Default Re: Has anyone experienced dizziness AFTER a cruise??

well, does it feel like the ship is still rocking? did you take any seasickness meds?

Old August 17th, 2004, 02:35 PM
carabro

Default Re: Re: Has anyone experienced dizziness AFTER a cruise??

Yes - feels like boat is rocking. I never took any medicine on board - it never really bothered me. It was a smaller ship and somewhat rocky seas - but I never felt sick on board.

Do you think it's just an adjustment thing?
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I had this happen to me two years ago. It will go away. Took me 3-4 days to get over it. It has something to do with your equilibrium.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Admiral

I think you what you are experiencing is very common. I've never been seasick, but I have had the feeling that I was on a rocking ship once I got off on dry land. It shouldn't last too long.

Phyll

Old August 17th, 2004, 03:00 PM
kwjones

It's just your body telling you to get back on a cruise ship. You should really take heed to what your body is telling you!
See you on board.
Ken
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Carabro:
This is a very common problem. It should subside within the next seven days. You can take seasickness meds like Bonine (Meclazine) to help relieve the feeling. My wife sort of likes it. It makes her feel like she's still cruising.

One last thing. If the the problem doesn't stop after seven days or it interferes with your normal routine or you have nausea, vomiting or you actually feel vertigo (spinning) see your doctor right away.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Admiral

I had that feeling also..and I kind of liked it..I would be standing around and all of a sudden I would say Whoaaa stop the boat......it finally went away in a couple of days..but I did not wait long before I booked another cruise because I want that ship rocking under my feet after I get off the ship feeling again.>G<

Old August 17th, 2004, 03:41 PM
SharB

Oh yes! I've always enjoyed the feeling - as long as I can keep my balance!! :o)
After my last cruise in February, it was stronger than usual and actually upset my stomach. A small price to pay, I'd say!!! I especially noticed the sensation the first time I used a restroom after getting off the ship. It felt like a rough day at sea!!

Shar
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Oh, those infamous "sea legs". I actually love that feeling after a cruise. Of course, most people think you are drunk, but it keeps that cruise memory going for a few days after. It lasted a week for me.
:o)

Old August 17th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

yep, you have post cruise wobble, quick book another one.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old August 17th, 2004, 05:04 PM
cruisingkandJ

Post cruise wobble? There's a new one!

J.
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Dizzy, I'm always dizzy, but not usually any more so after a cruise than before one.

Have never experienced this feeling but have heard that some do. Take Mike's advise however and if it continues for an extended period, go see your doctor.

Carnival Glory
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Cruisingrandma

Hi, I got that after my last cruise. i got it very bad. I had to go to the Doctor. It is called vertigo. I had it so bad the room was spinning bad for 3 days. It lasted for weeks. I am ok now unless I get too hot or tired. Then i feel dizzy. The doctor said to use a antihistamine or jsut take some motion sickness pills. It worked great. Never happened to me before. Hope it never does again either.. Happy cruising....
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:16 PM
Passenger

I've just discovered this site and am going to revive this old post........ Will the post cruise wobble be less severe if I go on a BIG ship - like Voyager. One time I got it real bad and was nauseous. I can take dizzy and staggering but can't stand the nausea. I went on the Big Red Boat and had rough seas. I was so proud of myself that I didn't get sea sick, but then sick for days after - when everyone else was out enjoying beach post cruise. I took Dramamine and slept it off, but really wasted a couple days. Would like to prevent that in future and my husband really wants to go on at least a 7 night (we've only done 5 before). Should I tell him it HAS to be biggest ship?? I'm really worried what I'll be like after 7 days.
Thanks!!!

Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Has anyone experienced dizziness AFTER a cruise?

Does the patch work for post cruise sickness??

Old December 21st, 2004, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to rockingal
Default Re: Re: Re: Has anyone experienced dizziness AFTER a cruise?

There is a rare syndrome that is becoming more common as cruising increases. A person takes month or year to get their "sea legs" back after a cruise, boat ride, or even an airplane trip. Many of us have had this syndrome for years after taking a cruise. If you feel a rocking, swaying, or bobbing motion, imbalance, and fatigue and have difficulty concentrating every day, all day, you probably have this. For a select few after being on a boat, plane or in car this feeling gets longer every time. We are not crazy or making this up it is a documented vestibular syndrome. It is generally thought to be an inability of
the brain to re adjust to land.

This is called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDs). If you need information email me or contact http://nhffoundations.net or type in Mal de Debarquement into Google. A lot of people feel like they are going crazy when the rocking doesn't stop for weeks or months and this actual effects your ability to think and speak for most people, in some degree. We are trying to increase awareness of this syndrome and let people know what they have. I have had this for over two years after a cruise. I have had other shorter episodes after boat rides and cruises.

It is true that other types of vertigo are similar to this syndrome, but many doctors have never heard of this. Most of the people in our support group (yahoo) self-diagnosed and had to print out Medical articles (Dr. Timothy Hain) to take to our own doctors. I am just trying to get the word out that there is such a syndrome for the people who are struggling with this. I had this after my first cruise for 1.5 years; it went away in one day. I went on a 2nd cruise 6 months later and now have had it 24/7, for 2 years and 4 months, not fun. We have over 100 people in our support group and some have had it over 14 years. They cannot work or function normally. Some drugs are helpful for different people. But it helps to get ideas on treatments and coping skills.

Here's some web sites: www.earaces.com/maldedebarquement.htm
http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/d...ntral/mdd.html

We have a great support group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mdds_support/
Good luck to all that have this.