Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Black Friday 13th

Made it through "Charley", though he sure was NOT MY DARLING. In case you do not know I live in poor battered Port Charlotte. The devastation is very bad, reminds me of London during the Blitz (yes I was there also)

My daughter had insisted I stay at her house"it will be safer" she lied!!!!!!!! The house is destroyed, we sheltered in the hall way with a matress pulled over us to protect us from flying debris.

My own condo building and condo were damaged but at least it is livable, so for now my daughter and son in law are sleeping on my floor, do not know what can be done to find them somewhere to live (they are insured and can rebuild, but we only have 5 licensed builders) 10,000 house have been destroyed, all the schools damaged . all three hospitals were damaged so we have "MASH" type units set up

Power and water came back on in my cond on Tuesday so life is easier in that respect. Few stores are open, gas very difficult to find, but help from other communities has been wonderful .

I long for October, and the luxury of the Summit. !
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Re: Black Friday 13th

Evelyn--We understand your situation. At least you and your family are with us. We have sent many prayers to all of us who were effected with the damage that Charley did. He only gave us a glancing blow here in Ocoee and that we are thankful. Hang in there and as we have said "it cant get worse and better is on the way".

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Evelyn, thank you for checking in with us and letting us know you are all ok. It's hard knowing just how many of our Cruisemates friends live in the areas where there was so much damage. My prayers are with you and your family.

Phyll

Old August 19th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Please know for the last week, many prayers wer said for our Florida pals...I wish you the best for a speedy recovery of the life you used to know...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 19th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Thanks for checking in with us... glad to hear you and your family are OK.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 19th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Builders have a way of coming out of the woodwork (no pun) when such things happen. Insurance companies may be helpful in arranging for cleanup and rebuilding. Take advantage of any and all programs offered for assistance, it's always good to utilize someone else's money.
Of course you have , along with all our "battered" cruisemates, been in our thoughts and prayers.
I will take very good care of Summit for you from Sept 17 through Oct 1 and promise not to use up all the fun, eat all the food or drink all the booze.
Thank goodness you are all safe . Stuff can be replaced.
May each day looking forward be brighter for you and your family.
PapaBill
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Glad to hear that you are safe, houses can be rebuilt, lives are precious. Good to have you back and posting.

Carnival Glory
Old August 20th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Black Friday 13th

I had no idea there is someone else out there from Port Charlotte! Where do you live? My MIL lives on Lincoln <or whats left of it> Right in the same area where Georgios is.
Let me know! If I can be of any help at all please do not hesitate to ask. I am down there everyday to help my MIL. The biggest thing is ICE> I am trying to find it everyday for her elderly neighbors. I am surprised you are in P>CH since you seem to be having power. But they did turn on a few street lights again but not many.

Old August 20th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Terri/Mom

I live in Sarasota/Bradenton area , know what you are going through. This would have been my 1st real hurricaine. I was scared.......... I was ready to hit the road Friday AM/ I work in Publix and we closed early. Sorry that you lost everything, like everyone said, you have your life. Stay strong and rebuld slowly. We don't have anyother family here to have helped us out. Your lucky for family.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:12 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Re: Re: Re: Black Friday 13th

I live at 2437 Harbor Blvd, (Essex House Apt 110) the Condos near both St Joes and Fawcett Hospitals. My daughter "lives" on Gifford, a block from Culteral Centre. Yesterday they purchased a used trailer, and tomorrow will put it on their lot, so they can be on hand to re build. They will be glad to sleep on something other than my floor

I am very lucky, we got back water, electric and phone late last week. I am so very ready for a cruise - only 9 weeks to go .