Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:53 PM
First Mate

Default Twin name poll

Hi all,

As my wife and I struggle to come up with ideas for names of the twins I am curious on your opinions. Would you go with similar names (i.e. Nicholas and Nichole), or names that are completely different (Michael and Emily)? BTW, we don't know if it's a boy and a girl, the names above are just being used as an example.

I have polled my co-workers, but just thought I would throw this out for discussion.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM
cruisingkandJ

Default Re: Twin name poll

I would let tem be as much individuals as you can. If I were in that position, i would dress them differently,etc. They're not dolls, they're human beings.

J.
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Think the rhyming things are a bit confusing, like Justin and Dustin or Sandy and Randy, for example.

Have friends who just had girl twins and named them Alex and Zoe - from A to Z.

Whatever names you choose, they will be the perfect names for your perfect babies! Best of luck to all of you - what a miracle!
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:45 PM
First Mate

I'm not planning on dressing them the same. I think that looks weird most of the time, although it can be cute for some pictures.

Old August 19th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'd go with whatever two names you like and don't worry about it. Just remember the kids have to live with them for the rest of their lives. So for their sake stay away from Moon-Unit and Dweezil. :-)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:11 PM
First Mate

Well, our two current children are named Sarah and Matthew so I guess we are pretty conservative. I think that's because I always hated my name growing up since it rhymes with so much stuff.

Old August 19th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Cruisingrandma

Hi, My twins will turn 28yrs old in sept. They havent been called the twins in many years now. I never dressed them alike except jsut once for a picture when they were 10 months old. The oly outfit that matched. i have a boy and girl twins to by the way. But you jsut have to think of the favorite names you would like it you had 2 separate pregnancies. Dont worry about rhyming them. They will be very much individuals believe me... One will walk forst oand one will talk first. they will ahve different foods as there favorites. It was a wonderful joy having twins. It made our family complete. We already had 2 children. a boy and a girl also. So now we have 4 children. 2 boys and 2 girls. All grown and on there own now it is fun to think back some of the things they all did as children. Jsut enjoy them all.......
Old August 20th, 2004, 12:53 AM
pg

I'm with the name them seperately camp.They are two individuals.
Old August 20th, 2004, 12:55 AM
pg

Oh I forgot to add, when they are babies I would dress them alike sometimes, it is cute and fun, but as they got older I would start getting them different stuff, and giving them choices about what they want.
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Patti Smith

Twins are the best! we have 23 year old girls...Desiree and Darci!!!!
God bless!
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Admiral

I think I would avoid the similar names also. As the others of said, the two children are individuals. I was told that my second pregnancy was twins...but it just turned out to be one, my son, Matt. Although, I have told him that he is bad enough for two! .

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old August 20th, 2004, 06:26 AM
SarahJ

I like similiar names.
Old August 20th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Take it from a teacher; I've had many sets of twins in my class over the years. The similar and rhyming names, especially with identical twins, were the hardest to remember and tell the difference. I've also had very different names, both in boy-girl combinations and in same-sex combinations. Those were easier to tell apart and by far, fit their individual personalities.

donna

Old August 20th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I love that Nicholas and Nicole, and since thats' my daughter's name, I would advise you, if you decide to go with that, to drop that H, or she will ALWAYS be spelling it her whole life....Names have always been a hot topic for me, I thought sooo long and hard for me kids names..Having a one syllable last name , I would not give them a one syllable first name, it had to flow.....Also, as I mentioned, the spelling can be like child abuse look at this example which says it all to me..There is a reporter on the national news,,,Her name is Suzanne,,so you think, well, that's how she prounounces it..NO NO NO, it's pronounced SuZonne..If her Mom wanted it said that way, why did she spell it the other way......So here whoel life she is explaining her name Oh don't get me started, the list is long....do you still have to name the baby before you leave the hospital now? You did when I had my kids..that lady with the clipboard, chased you down I hope your wife has an easy pregnancy.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 20th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Admiral

i think that similar names especially of identicals can be very confusing. I grew up with twin friends Jane and Judy, i knew who was who, but it totally confused most people.
Finding names that flow with your last name is important.
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I'd go with different names too. I went to school with twin girls who had rhyming names and they hated it. As soon as they were both old enough they changed their first names.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Admiral

I would just call them ONE and TWO.....I like the rhyme thing.

Old August 20th, 2004, 10:20 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cruisechic2005 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisechic2005

I AM a twin!! haha i love it! We're identical twin girls, even though there is 5 inches different in height, yes we did the blood test and everything! (Crazy huh!?) Anyways... my name is Justine and hers is Jenny

My cousins are Twins and they died at Birth, but their names were Conor and Christopher... my Aunts on my moms side are twins they are Caroline and Karen and my uncles on my dads side are twins they are Matt and Mike.... so i guess it is all in opinion... good luck!!
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:31 AM
pg

Oh one point if you call the twins Nicloe and Niclolas , they can both end up as " Nick" or Nicky" I think havingot share a nick name is terrible.
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Maursea

I have boy/girl twins. Michael and Deidre. Name them different names, not likePaul and Pauline or Michael and Michelle etc. Treat them like a individuals. You will be correcting people all the time to treat them like 2 different children. They are not 1 thing like the "Twins". I stopped that right away, or everyone will refer to them as the twins.

And please never dress them alike like someone suggested here when they are babies. They are not play dolls, they are your children. Best thing to do is join Twin Mom or mulitple Mom's group,. they are their for support and suggestions. Don't listen to people that don't have twins, they might mean well, but they don't know anything unless they are a twin or have twins.,

Be prepared when you take them out to be stopped at stores etc. It can be fun. And be prepared for some stupid people to ask who is the good one and who is the bad one. That is awful when they are 3 years old and hear that. Some rude people will stop and stare like they are freaks.

They are lots of fun and are as different as night and day. Good luck!
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Admiral

We have some family friends who are NOT twins... but everywhere they go.... they are grilled about it !! Look at this photo... (thats my handsome son in the midst) these are 2 of his favorite ladies... not counting me of course...

Picking names is a hard thing to do... although I had my sons picked out 5 years before he was adopted... then when I met him... it didnt seem to fit... but I stuck with it & cant imagine any other name for him now... except for trouble or spoiled maybe ?

Congrats to you Dalech... from a mommy who had a hard time getting to be a mommy !

all the best,
Steph
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Admiral

hmmm... that didnt work... oh well !
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:56 AM
Joyful

I would agree with what most folks are saying here, steer clear of names that rhyme, or start with the same letter. They DO need to be treated as individuals, their names is a good way to start. As far as the dressing them alike (I know, you did not mention that in your original post, but someone else brought it up....), I very rarely did that, and when I did, they were either babies or very young. Most people who gave us gifts, gave us matching outfits, or outfits that were the same, but different colors. And in order not to hurt feelings, we put them on them. Had pictures taken in those clothes, too.

My twins (turned 14 Friday, by the way) have developed into very different individuals in many ways, but yet they love their twin-ness, too. They like being unique (a set), and although I did not correct anyone who called them "the twins", they have a time or two, when it was necessary. I still refer to them "the boys" too often (but my 3rd one is in that grouping, too), although I try really hard not to.

I agree that you need to select names that flow with your last name. Picking a family name is also cool, one of ours is named after my DH's father (who passed away a number of years ago) and brother, the other one after a jazz musician (DH's choice). Their names are not common, and although there are times they wish they were Billy's or Bobby's, I think they are coming into an appreciation of being set aside with their unique names, too. My 3rd son's name is a fairly common one.....

Have fun!
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Admiral

I was wondering when someone/you might ask for name ideas. I can't think of any right now, but I agree that the same lettersound is not a good idea. Both my girls' names start with K and they are not twins and I call them by their wrong name sometimes!! My friend had twins boys:Nicholas and Michael. Will you find out before the birth if they are the same gender/different?? Hope things are going fine with your wife!!