Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Default Perhaps the "not so great" Alaska and West Coast a

Celebrity has apparantly cancelled the Sept 10 sailing of Summit in Alaska and right now is postponing the Sept 17 sailing to the 20th due to propulsion problems. We don't know what will be cancelled on the cruise but I hope it is not the Alaska parts. I would much rather miss Seattle and Catalina Island than any of the Alaska ports.
Gram and Papa have been planning this one for two years..
I guess we are better off than cruisers going out of Florida this week (and of course all our Florida friends in the path of Frances).
We just called out TA to find out what is going on. We have pre and post stays booked in Vancouver and San Diego and airfare is NOT through Celebrity.
I guess we'll find out more as the day and days go by.
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:30 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Perhaps the "not so great" Alaska and West Coa

Hi Papa,

What do you mean you hope you miss Seattle? It's a great city, and the highlight of any vacation. I know, I live here. <VBG> I hope too that they skip here, and you get to see Alaska as I imagine that is why someone would want to go on this cruise.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM
Admiral

PapaBill, Oh dear!! I feel so bad for you and Gram. I hope they can just miss the boring ports as you said, and just do the Alaskan ones.Let us know what happens.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Perhaps the "not so great" Alaska and West

Definately no offense meant to Seattle residents, but yes, this was booked as an Alaska cruise first.
Looks like we we sail on the 20th and miss Sitka , Seattle and Catalina Island.
We understand we are looking at a 25% credit on our next cruise (already booked so maybe not so bad) and $500 per room on board credit. Hopefully we can apply that to the excursions we have already paid for.
Our biggest problem at this time is finding hotel accomadation for the 17th through 19th. We extended one day at O Canada House, but right now the 18th and 19th are a problem. Still looking.
If this is the worst of it we will be fine, just need a few more restaurant recommendations from dear Brenda.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

PapaBill - glad it is not worse for you. I read this yesterday in Cruise News Daily.....I wanted to post the information on the board, but it is copyrighted, etc........

Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Perhaps the "not so great" Alaska and

We have reservations at the Metropolitan Hotel for the 18th and 19th. I guess we will bring our Vancouver guide books and get to know the city and surroundings very very well.
Of course the extra 3 days in Vancouver are going to cost me a lot more than the cruise line is allowing, but, if this is the worst of it then we will be fine.
Let us all pray for the well being of our friends in the path of Frances, whether on land, at sea or at home worrying about a cruise this weekend.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Amen, PapaBill!

Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Admiral

PapaBill, If I can be of any help(besides restaurant recommendations), please email me privately. I know you booked a tour-where exactly does it take you? I could think of some other things for you and Gram. If you need any help to go anywhere on the 18th, I would be happy to show you and Gram around in my car. (I now it sounds weird coming from a total stranger, but I toured MichaelH around before his wedding and he still alive!!) As someone else said-Vanc. is very multicultural restaurant-wise.(unless you're looking for Mexican food;we have only 1-2 of these!!!!) Do not forget to bring a jacket and umbrella(if you have such a thing).You can always buy one here if it storming out! Our weather has been unsettled lately, but I hope by the time you come here we will have out (Indian) Summer back. Brenda in Vancouver

Old September 7th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Perhaps the "not so great" Alaska and West

Brenda, thank you for the sweet invitation. We have spent the weekend without having a computer (modem problem) and even so, have pretty much arranged a nice 5 day Vancouver vacation. I would not think of imposing on your time to act as a guide.
We are still trying to iron out some details, but we have places (two) to stay and some tours and sightseeing arranged.
Thank you for the kind thoughts, kind offer and advice on your fair city.