Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Default Hurricane Warning In Effect

We are busy "battening down the hatches" while waiting for Hurricane Frances. Schools and government buildings are closed today - everything will be closed up tomorrow. This looks to be the BIG ONE for us. Mort & I and our little dog, Stormy (appropriate name) will move into our daughter's house (same street) tomorrow afternoon. Their house will be safer because our corner lot is wide open with large palm trees in the front and side of the house. It is possible they could be uprooted and fall on the house. Our end of the street also floods during very heavy rains. We expect at least 8 to 10 inches during the storm. Our son in-law's mother and sister are evacuating from their home in Melbourne, FL (3 hrs. away) cause they think they will be safer down south (who knows??) They will also be staying at Jan's with their 2 dogs, a rabbit and a bird. So - with our dog, Jan's 3 (big) dogs, 8 cats and10 snakes (Mike's hobby) - it will be like a zoo. Mort is allergic to cats so will be taking Benadryl. We will also pack up our important documents, jewelry, clothing, supplies, etc. to take with us. This won't be a fun experience, and I hope we will all be safe (6 adults and 2 granddaughters ages 10 -1/2 and 7). Please pray for us and everyone in Florida who will be affected by this horrible hurricane.
Thanks,
Cindy (and Mort)

Post Edited (09-02-04 12:23)
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Hurricane Warning In Effect

Cindy & Mort, stay safe and check in after and let us know you are okay. Cruisemates isn't just a website, we are a community and care for each other. It looks like Jupiter is the main focus right now and the closer it gets the more accurate it becomes. Still not a sure thing but people in that area should be packed and ready to go or gone already. This is a monster and almost a Cat 5 and does not look like it will weaken much if any. Prayers and thought go to those in the Bahamas and everyone in Florida. We are still in a wait and see mode here in NE Florida for the most part but many are leaving today including a number of my nieghbors. "IF" it goes as planned right now we probably will be able to stay but we are still ready to leave if necessary. Those in the path which right now includes Orlando/ Ocala/Lake City area We hope you are safe and please let everyone here at Cruisemates know you are safe as soon as you can.
Jim

Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Mort and Cindy, please stay safe. You too, Robo, and all the rest of your Floridians. Jason that includes you.

My prayers and thoughts are with all of you.

Phyll

Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Cindy and family, I hope everything goes okay for you all. Take care. Sincerely, Brenda in Vancouver

Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Just heard that Carnival HQ has sent their employees home due to the Hurricane Warning posted there. Volentary evacuations are taking place all the way down to Miami right now. Latest report places landfall at Jupiter Inlet and crossing to Orlando/Ocala area and northward into western Ga. That is still subject to change in the next 24-36 hours. Hope everyone stays safe.
Jim

Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Latest report is the center will now be to our West (Ocoee-Orlando). That means we will be getting the strongest of the winds. They will be coming from the south. Was hoping that Frances center would be to our East. That would give us northerly winds which are not as strong as the southerly winds that are on the upper right side of the Storm.

All Barrier Islands, Coco Beach, Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour Beach, Indiaatlantic Beach etc. have mandatory evacuation orders as of 2 PM today, Thursday. The roads are jammed. Most will be converted to one way traffic in order to move the people out of the distruction area as fast as possible.

We are predicted to loose our power at approximately Saturday til times unknown. So if you don't see us Floridians online you know the reasons.

Gosh I wished I had bought that Generator. Well we gonna huncker it out. PRAY.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Ray. Please pack up and get out now. If the predictions holds you are going to get hit very hard and we don;t want you there. If nothing else come over here to your sisters, even that may be better depending on the final direction.
Jim

Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Admiral

My Sister in law just called and she and the kids have driven down to the Keys and my brother is almost there with the large boat he captains. They feel that they will be pretty safe from the storm and high winds. I am relieved to know they are not up by Jupiter.

Phyll

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Prayers are with everyone effected.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09