Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2004, 05:25 PM
venice

Default Hope Everyone is Safe and If they have to rebuild they might

During my home care physical therapist visit on saturday we were watching the news regarding the damage in Florida and we were talking about if folks have to rebuild they might think about adding some renovations around their house that might make it easier for them to function alot easier if they ever had a back operation.(or other unplanned physical disabilities)
What brought up the topic is that I live in a home that is 6 years old and all one story, and the toughtest part of my daily rehab is to shower. I have looked into the thermal shower and bath option, which allow you to sit and take a shower and has handicap accessible bars and no lip the shower which allows a safer venue to perform this daily function. Needless to say I was shocked on how much this would cost (and some insurance companies cover a small portion and some don't cover at all). It's a heck of alot cheaper to do it if you are rebuilding anyway. Many older people live in older homes that often have the shower in the bathtub but being able to get in the bathtub is unsafe due to the height barrier. My therapist was sharing with me that several of his patients are elderly and on Medicare and it's a challenge for them everyday and it effect their mental attitude because they can't shower as well as they use to. It's another sign that they give up their independence

Hopefully, my disability is short term (up to 6 months) but it got me thinking long range. Many of us now are having our parents come to live with us who have physical challenges that make our homes barriers for them. When you are young and building your "dream" most people don't think about things like this. I am in my early 50"s and if I had known then, what I know now, I would have forgone some "upgrades' and made the investment in wider doorway into my bathrooms, a height adjustble sink and toilet, low lip shower etc. etc

One never knows
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.
Default Re: Hope Everyone is Safe and If they have to rebuild they m

Venice,
There was recently an article in our local paper about just this and planning for the senior years. I think we're more aware of it now after our experience with our dads.
Angela Z.
Old September 5th, 2004, 06:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Hope Everyone is Safe and If they have to rebuild they m

We are looking the type of things you're talking about as we design our new home. We know that should happen to our parents that they may have to move in with us & we are trying to plan for those physical barriers. A lot of folks don't understand it but to me its worth doing it now than wishing I'd done it later.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old September 5th, 2004, 07:46 PM
venice

Default Re: Re: Hope Everyone is Safe and If they have to rebuild th

could you e-mail me the article at www.jimgordon@bellsouth.net ? thanks