Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Default We are back!

Hey everyone. We are back in business as of late last night! We found out that power came back on sometime around 6 or 7PM last night and finally were able to get things put back together around midnight so we could actually sleep in our own bed! Man that felt good! We would like to publically thank the Hybicus Resort in St Augustine Beach for putting up a number of families for free during this period. Hopefully we will not have to use them again later on this week!!! Phones lines are pretty stable now as well and the only thing giving anyone problems are some of the cell towers mostly the Sprint and Nextel circuits.
It has been an adventure going without power for so long and we tend to forget just how much we use it for everyday items. As we have a well we had no water, as we have a sump pump for the septic field we dared not use the sewer for fear of it backing up. As the homes now are built with A/C in mind they are not as open as they once were and get unbearably hot without A/C or even fans to cool them down. We have a grill so no problem cooking but no referageration and no ice to be found either. No power also means no fast food joints open. No power also means no gas pumps working. Wish we were on a cruise. <>.
Now Ivan is smashing islands in the Caribbean including some of our favorites such as Barbados, Grenada and Jamacia with the GC in the direct path now. Still not too sure where it will go but feel like we will get some effects at best and hit hard at worse. The poor folks on Florida's west coast are going to get it again for sure and our hearts and prayers go out to them.

It has all happened in a week where we have learned of terrible things going on elsewhere. Our dear friend Pam Kane passed away which has left the cruise community with a vacant space that will be replaced someday but not without our wonderful Pamda and it will never be the same. We have also heard that Da Coot has been in the hospitial and we wish him our very best as Harry is "good people" as well. We do appreciate all your thoughts and well wishes but understand we are still fortunate and our troubles were and are small compared to so many others and so many of our friends.
Jim

Old September 11th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: We are back!

Hi Jim, Glad your power has been restored! Nice to hear from you.

Old September 11th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Happy to hear you guys are back home, and it managed to get through the hurricane. And you're right, doing without electricity for an extended period of time is more of a pain that most of us give much thought to.

The stress of getting this continous run of hurricanes has to be difficult.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Jim, it's good to have you back with us. We've missed you. I'm happy to hear that you have your power back and are starting to get some normalcy back in you daily lives.

Ivan is going to just have to take a hike!

Phyll

Old September 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM
L&S80

Welcome back Jim & Silvia......we've missed you both.......hopefully Ivan will turn the other way & you won't have to leave again.....Stay safe!!!

Sharon & Larry
Old September 11th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Jim, great to hear you are back and powered up! I can really empathize with that "powerless" feeling, having survived 8 days without power in the great Ice Storm of 98! Our problem was not heat however, it was trying to stay warm in -25 temps! I slept with a down-filled winter coat on under many layers of covers and the kids slept in their snowsuits. It's an experience I never want to happen again!

donna

Old September 11th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Hey Jim,

Glad you are back home. My sis had power several days ago. While she was without Stewart had a line going over to her house for Refri and a light. He takes care of his Mom.

Helen and I just got finished putting up 7 plywoods over some windows. Did those windows that are facing the Southwest. That will probably be the direction that the winds from Ivan will come. Our family room is dark. Neighbor said "Do not have any extra activity there in the dark" Probably wont get much since Ivan has been predicted to be further to the west out from Tampa. But he is another big blow with high winds extending out for over 185 miles. I am beat after this extended work. Gotta take a rest. At my and Helen's age we tire easily.

Again glad you are back and wish you not to leave again soon.

I Sail The Carnival Dream.

The Royal Princess Transatlantic.

I sail The Crown Princess to The Southern Caribbean.
Old September 11th, 2004, 02:44 PM
VTJen

Welcome Back. Hope you don't feel Ivan's effects.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old September 11th, 2004, 03:18 PM
susancruzs

Welcome back, glad you and Sylvia are back to "normal" whatever that is these days. I hope the next round stays away from Florida completely but that is wishful thinking at this point!

Take care!

Susie
Old September 11th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Robo,
Its great to hear you are back home with power on, about time! Hope you get everyting back to normal as soon as possible...Hi to Sylvia!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 11th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Jim.....glad that you are back in business. I know this has been quite an ordeal for you and Sylvia. Hope we are ALL spared an encore this week.

Old September 12th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Welcome back! We sure did miss you around here. Stay safe!

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Thank you my friends. It looks good as far as Ivan goes for those of us in the Florida pennisular but bad for those in the panhandle. Still don't feel all that safe and worry about all our CM friends on the west coast of the state. Those of you over there please take care and check in as soon as it goes by so we will know you are all safe. I have gone through many times without power growing up as I lived in New England and winter storms tend to bring down powerlines. I have found out that it is easier to keep warm than to get cool. <G> Maybe it was also because I was much younger too. <> Now it is just a matter of catching up. All in all our troubles have been very small when you compare them to all these poor folks that have lost their homes, belongings, loved ones, and some in the Punta Gorda area are even now still without power. Prayers go to them and well as donation for relief.
Jim

Old September 12th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Let me add my welcome back, Jim. This has been a tough month for so many here in Florida. Tomorrow is Sept. 13 and Charley was August 13, just one month and so many lives have been changed-twice!
I'm not sure what we will be getting here in mid state-Highlands Co. If RayB is preparing, I guess we should be, also. However, he's further northeast from us and the farther up Ivan goes, the farther away he gets from the folks in this area. It's hard to relax even with an "all clear" because there is always a "but this could change" thrown in. I haven't watched it much today so perhaps when I go to sleep tonight it will be all gone.
We leave on our Cruise next Saturday-Caribbean Princess-Eastern Caribbean-so expect that all will go well and we'll have the first normal cruise in awhile.That would be nice. I hope there won't be any more Ivans lurking down there while we're cruising!

It's nice to have you back. Lynne

Old September 13th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Glad to hear you're back in business, Jim. Hope things get back to normal for y'all soon. No more hurricanes!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old September 14th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Trudle

Hi Jim,
Well here I am on your threads, this is Trudy. I also am in Florida, and still have no electric. We were luckier than a lot of people here in the state. Hope those in the panhandle and that area ,stay safe and that Jeanne goes away or out to Sea. We have a daughter that is in Pt. Charlotte, she is fine, but the house had some damage but that can be fixed.

MichelleP- Myself and some of my family are going on the Miracle, same time as you.
We will have to say hello, on board.

Stay safe and have a good evening.

Trudy