Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Default Pittsburgh Update

What an unexpected turn of events in the Pittsburgh area since this Friday. On Friday morning, our weathman said we would received rain from Ivan, but it wouldn't be as bad as what we saw from Frances. Boy, was he wrong. It rained all day long. Throughout the afternoon we started to get phone calls at work from various people telling us that many roads were be closed due to flooding. We finally told our employees to leave at 4 p.m. I left at 4:20 p.m. and had one of my employees follow me because two of her routes home were closed. Well, on the way home, we heard on the radio that her third and final route was closed. So it was determined she would come and hang out at my house. It took me from 4:20 to 6:10 to get home...a trip that usually takes only 20 minutes in traffic. Even in the worst snow storms, I don't have this much trouble. We arrived home to our power being out. It remained out until yesterday late morning. We had quite a bit of water come into our basement and a good chunk of my yard slipped away. We had a nice sitting area with benches and flowers/trellis, etc. It is now at least 4' lower than it had been on Friday morning. Our county and many around us have been delcared disaster areas. The devastation I'm seeing on the news is unbelievable. We actually were very lucky with our minimal damage. Our neighbor had over 5' of water in his basement and lost everything down there. I just cannot imagine what the true victims of hurricanes go through. We just had a little taste of it. So my "relaxing" weekend didn't quite work out that way.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Pittsburgh Update

ML, I'm glad you posted and let us know what happened. When I saw the flooding yesterday in the downtown Pittsburgh area, I was kind of worried about you. I know how hard it must be to have your basement flood and lose some of your beautiful yard, but I'm so glad that you are all safe. That must have been pretty scary for you. How did Jackie do in her new home?

Take care and I wish I was closer to help you clean up the mess.

Phyll

Old September 19th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Geez Mary Lou, I'm sorry to hear of all the damage - and so far away from where Ivan actually hit. Can you imagine what it's like in Florida? Up here in Montreal we got a whole day of miserable strong rain after Frances, and mild flooding in our garage, but nothing like what Floridians are experiencing. We're waiting for the rain from Ivan, but so far so good. My heart goes out to all those suffering from these natural disasters.

donna

Old September 19th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Admiral

MaryLou..Glad you and your family are okay and your co-worker too. I saw on TV where it really hit Etna(north of the burg)hard with all the streets washed out..I wish you the best and please be careful when cleanup time comes. Take care and God BLess

Old September 19th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Admiral

ML sounds terrible. We were actually pretty lucky here in Islip Terrace, not so in other parts of LI, but nothing quite like what you are describing. Just glad you guys are all safe and sound.

Carnival Glory
Old September 19th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: Pittsburgh Update

ML, sorry to hear about all the weather problems in Pittsburg. But you are safe and well, and that's the important thing.

J.
Old September 19th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Admiral

It's so hard to believe the damage caused by Ivan as he continued on an inland path......SOOOOOO much destruction and death. ML, sorry that your property was one of the damaged ones .... the flooding and tornadoes have really taken their toll.......almost the whole east coast was affected in some fashion.

Old September 19th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

ML... sorry to hear about the damage to your home and yard. I was thinking of you last night when I was watching the baseball game from Pittsburgh, and they showed the river flowing with all the debris, and boats running loose, and some looking pretty badly damaged.

Old September 19th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Since I had not watched the national news yesterday, I am so surprised to hear that you had such trouble from this bum they call Ivan. I'm sorry for all the damage, that's such a shame. To watch all your hard work disapear in a heartbeat is so sad..Take care, and I hope all is back to normal soon..
Old September 19th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Mary Lou: I had no idea that the weather was so bad in Pgh. til I read in the paper this a.m. that Point State Park had flooding and boats anchored on the river there were damaged. (My sister lives in a high rise at the "point", and I haven't been able to reach her today). Also read that homes were flooded in Carnegie. Sorry you were also affected. The devastation these hurricanes cause is unbelievable. Good luck with the clean-up.
Cindy

Old September 19th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh ML,
So sorry to hear about the rain/flooding, had no idea it was that bad....hope you can repair your missing yard, what a shame.....Hang in there, this can't last forever, although it seems like it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 19th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Pittsburgh Update

Sorry to hear about all the damage to your house! Plus no power, boy can I relate. I sure hope this can be fixed soon and everything will be back to normal.

Old September 19th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Admiral

ML-I am sorry to hear of your flooding problems. I hope everything gets fixed as soon as possible. Take care. Brenda in Vancouver

Old September 20th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Yeoman

ML
I haven't been on the boards all weekend, and just read about all the rain in Pittsburgh. We are so close, yet we only received about an inch of rain in our area. We had received over 4" with Frances with lots of flooding, and several roads closed. I was assuming we would receive more with Ivan, but looks as though it stayed to our southeast, and unfortunately, you received it all. I am so glad that you are ok, but so sorry to hear about your yard and basement. Lets hope that we don't see anymore hurricanes for this season, they can ALL stay out in the NE Atlantic, far far away from all land anywhere!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old September 20th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Mark&Deb

With the widespread havac the storms have produced - it is so good for everyone to check-in so we can stay updated. Glad that your damages were minimal in comparison to some & that it didn't make up to your main floor.

Mark&Deb