Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2004, 03:46 PM
crafter

Default Does anyone tip beyond the included amount?

We knew that we would be charged $10 per day per person for tips, but that didn't seem like much for our room steward and dinner steward. We asked and were told that they each get $3 per day of the $10. That amounts to a tip of $21 for waiting on you all week. We left each of them something extra. Does anyone else do this?
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2004, 03:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Does anyone tip beyond the included amount?

i always leave extra too. i used to be in the service industry (waiting tables in college!) and know what it's like to work for tips.....it's HARD work! i usually tip the bartenders extra too along the way if they're really good.

Old September 21st, 2004, 04:02 PM
crafter

I'm glad to know we weren't the only ones! We didn't drink on the cruise so tipping the bartender wasn't something we needed to do. But our stewards took such good care of us that I wanted them to know we appreciated all their hard work.
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:27 PM
First Mate

We have always tipped more than double the recommended amount when service is good. If you think about what you would tip at a normal restaurant each night, it would amount to a lot more than what they ask for.
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:09 PM
VTJen

I have tipped more each time as well. I found everyone to be so kind, considerate and effecient. They deserved to be acknowledged above and beyond the recommended amount.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:53 PM
susancruzs

There have been a few times when I haven't gone beyond the guidelines but usually I'll give extra, too.

I also give something to a particular bar waiter at the end of the cruise if I've had the same one for my pre-dinner drinks. I don't feel what they get is enough either.

Susie
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Does anyone tip beyond the included amount?

I am planning on giving the room steward something extra in the beginning of our next cruise.This way he knows we apprechiate the work he will be doing for us. We also plan to tip more for good service.

Old September 21st, 2004, 08:10 PM
pg

No, we don't tip more, on the other hand we ask for very little, we will often just have the steward do the room once in the moring( they usaully go in at least twice) and since we tend to relax in the cabin ( balcony!) in the late afternoon , we just ask for clean towels if needed.
I would however tip extra for an extra service, ( getting ice etc) and of course for room service.
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:48 PM
Admiral

I will also be tipping for the Camp Carnival staff(assuming the children go to it and that the staff is good!!).

Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:02 AM
Happy Camper

We are always using lots of ice and always ask the cabin steward to look in and refill when he is around. We also ask for the right sheets (ones across the whole bed on Carnival) and I really like a really clean cabin. If they take care of us - which most do very well - then we tip way over the amount. If for some reason they feel they don't want to do anything more than they have too (a very few) then we don't tip over. If really bad I'll take some of the tip off. This hasn't happened very often. It seems like the really bad service (not often) that we have had has been more in the dining room than the cabin stewards. The last cruise the cabin stewardess for my in laws was extrememly nice and she really went out of her way to get things for them and help them when she noticed the wheel chair and the canes my father in law uses. She well deserved a good tip. Debbie
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:12 AM
Admiral

We tip the steward, waiter and assistant waiter upfront, at the end and beyond the recommended amount if we think they deserve it.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Admiral

This past cruise we also tipped what became "our" waitress in the Amber Palace. She must have worked 18 hours a day because she was always there and very quickly caught on to what we were ordering. She would see my son sit down and bring him an orange soda!

I don't know how her pay scale goes, so was happy to tip her for her hard work and BIG smile!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04