Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
salem5050

Default Modern Medicine?

Ok here is my story and bet you all have one two! Modern medicine is great but this stuff with sending people home hours after surgery stinks! My dad who is 84 today had hernia surgery this afternoon and they shipped out sick as a dog two hours later, and said if he is not better bring him back in....ugh. So guess where we will probably be going cause he is still sick and I fear dehydration...Gosh sake he is 84 could they have not kept him at least half a day!

Yea for our health care system! And its really the insurance companys fault!

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Modern Medicine?

MaryMargret, I don't blame you for being very angry about this. How sad that your dad was sent home so soon. I really don't understand the philosophy behind such treatment. I hope he gets the care he needs and comes through all of this in better health.

Phyll

Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Being in the medical field I would like to say this. In some cases a pt will do better by going home, but in other cases, such as your dad, and factoring in his age, He should have stayed in the Hospital for at least one night for observation if nothing else. I am so sorry that they sent him home to quick. I dont really think it is all due to the modern meds but it is to do with the Insurance Companies. Get 'em in and Get 'em out. MHO

Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Don't get me started.....

donna

Old September 24th, 2004, 12:39 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

I just had neck surgery 2 weeks ago (fusion of the C5-C6). They told me I'd be spending one to three nights in the hospital, depending on how things went (i.e. any complications). Well...I'm soooo glad that things were ok enough for me to go home after only one night.

3 patients in the room...nurses coming in all the time checking vitals on each one. And of course they had to do each one of us at a different time. Dang IV monitors kept beeping (loud) all night. If it wasn't mine, it was patient #2's or patient # 3's. So we'd have to ring the nurse to come reset them. (Just before I left the next day, I was told that the monitors give you three warning beep to let you know that there is a kink in the line, that you probably just moved wrong and it could be fixed by just moving. Then after the 3rd warning beep, it does a continuous beeping until the nurse comes in to reset it. Geez...if they had told us that we all could have gotten more sleep.) Then, part of our room appeared to be used as a supply area, so they were coming in our room to get supplies. And when the nurses came in, they certainly didn't try to speak softly. And we were right across from the nurses station, so that made it even noisier.

Sleep...rest....in that hospital....no way.

However...as far as Salam5050's 84 yr old dad having to go home 2 hours after hernia surgery......Thats just not right. I don't understand that at all. If he couldn't stay the night, he should have been able to stay at least half a day or so. I hope he's doing well....and I'm sure you will make sure he gets good care at home.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:22 AM
VTJen

Doesn't seem practical to me. I have to concur with BigJohn. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:04 AM
venice

to paraphrase rollerdonna...don't even get me started about my recent back operation..no one is really an advocate for the patient unless their spouse or family fights for them..insurance companies have case managers who represents the insurance interest..the hospital has case manager that represents the hospital..i'm surprise the doctor did not raise a bigger stink..health services reform is the big political issue of our time and it's going to get worse as business are not honoring their committment to past,current and future retirees regarding health benefits...there is a movement in place now that will allow business's to reduce or stop paying health benefits for those folks that retire between 55-64 once they turn 65 and our eligible for medicare