Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Default Florida Friends.... Be Strong!

Two of my very best friends in the world live in Port St. Lucie, Florida. They had only minor damage to their home during the severe Frances storm but their power was out for several days. Their house is now reboarded and/or shuttered yet again and they are bracing for a second round to hit them, thanks to Frances' cousin "Jeanne."

I called Phoebe this morning and she sounded so upset. I think two of these huge storms is more than anyone can take psychologically. I hope she and her husband Terry can remain strong through this horrible ordeal yet again.

To all of my Florida friends at cruisemates: Stay strong no matter what! We are all with you in spirit and thoughts! I doubt there will be many hurricane parties this time!The levity is over.

On a side note...Sometimes you have to count your blessings...I guess the pending Portland winter weather with the Pacific Northwest cold rain and gray skies ain't so bad afterall...

Post Edited (09-25-04 10:25)
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Florida Friends.... Be Strong!

Chuck: Thanks for your good wishes for us Floridians. We are hunkered down in the Ft. Lauderdale area waiting for Hurricane Jeanne. If she makes landfall in Palm Beach or further north, we will still get strong winds and possible flooding here from the outer bands of the storm. My daughter lives in Portland, Oregon and says we should consider moving there. I know it is a beautiful city (she is very happy there), but we love being in the sun and warm weather here. Of course, now - there is trouble in PARADISE.
Cindy

Old September 25th, 2004, 09:34 AM
susancruzs

Thanks for starting this post, Chuck! Just turned on the TV, was watching CNN and my first reaction was, Oh, No, not again! I was hoping and hoping that she would swing way northeast and skirt the coast altogether!

I'm thinking of all you Florida folks, as I have been, I'm constantly checking the weather!
Always been a major weather watcher all my life but this year is unbelievable!

Please be on guard and stay safe, don't take chances!

Susie
Old September 25th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Admiral

We have so many friends down in the Florida area. Mostly people we have met on the internet and then met in person. Hearing about the troubles that they are all going thru this year is so very sad. We are keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Stay safe.

Carnival Glory
Old September 25th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Thanks guys. It looks like it will get pretty rough again for the folks in the central part of Florida northward. As the ground is pretty well saturated due to Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Ivan again we look for quite a bit of power outages due to falling trees etc. Flooding will also be a concern. Fortunately Jeanne is a cat 2 so the winds won't hurt most of us very much. Another big concern are the tornados that are spawned by these hurricanes. My best to all my fellow Floridians and ya'll check in after it passes as soon as you can.
Jim

Old September 25th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Take care Florida people. Wow!Crazy weather year for you guys!
ChuckPalm:yep-we should not complain about our weather nowadays!!

Old September 25th, 2004, 11:01 AM
cruisinKandJ.

Chuck, you're right. We can't complain about the weather. I am looking out an open window at sunshine and warm temps. It's gonna be hot, but really . . . not so bad.

J.
Old September 25th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Admiral

I live in Montreal where I thought the weather was extreme from Nov. through March, but we never had to deal with anything like you Floridians! We may get cold and lots of snow, but we are used to it and life goes on as usual. We did suffer with the 98 Ice Storm, without power for 8 days in -25C temperatures, but at least we did not suffer property damage or flooding. As I watch the news unfolding on CNN I fear for all my CruiseMates friends in Florida, and wonder how any cruise ships can possibly be sailing out of Fla. ports and into the Caribbean in these horrible weather patterns, not to mention the destruction and suffering of all the people inhabiting all the Caribbean islands we have all visited.
My thoughts and prayers are with you!

donna

Old September 25th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Thanks Chuck, we have been trained to deal with these things lately. I'm out in the yard trying to finish picking up the last of the yard debris left from Frances, and I'm wondering why bother, the winds from Jeanne will clean it up for me!

We're wondering if we should stay at home or at the restaurant. The restaurant was built last year and is much sturdier than the house without trees all over the property. But it's on the other side of the bridge and they are likely to shut down the bridge so getting back to the house if we needed to would not be possible.

But then the restaurant has a stocked bar.....................hmmmm, dilemma solved.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 25th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Admiral

The restaurant wins! Have a liquid hurricaine for me please!
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Jim - she's now a Category 3 hurricane. They're closing the ports of St. Petersburg and Tampa at 5 PM today and there's mandatory evacuation of mobile homes from Manatee County northward. I'm waiting to move my pool furniture until the 5 PM report ... right now they say it'll go through Polk and up to Hernando County which would put us on the backside (not as strong winds by a long shot).

The last time a state got hit by 4 hurricanes was in 1886 ... and the state was Texas.

Hang in there everyone.

Jane in the Tampa Bay area!!!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Jim - she's now a Category 3 hurricane. They're closing the ports of St. Petersburg and Tampa at 5 PM today and there's mandatory evacuation of mobile homes from Manatee County northward. I'm waiting to move my pool furniture until the 5 PM report ... right now they say it'll go through Polk and up to Hernando County which would put us on the backside (not as strong winds by a long shot).

The last time a state got hit by 4 hurricanes was in 1886 ... and the state was Texas.

Hang in there everyone.

Old September 25th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Hang in there everyone.

Old September 25th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

It is 245PM and we just got thru placing plywood on the front (northern) windows. Got the Plylox metal clips, cut the plywood to fit inside the windows and placed the clips along side, put the plywood into the window and shuve. They fit perfectly. Why did I not think of those clips before. They cost about $1.50 each come in a package of 20. That was enough. Now my entire front of our home is shuttered. Turned on the TV and Jeanne is perdicted to pass just to our west, left. That is bad because the 100MPH winds will be coming from the south. There we have those big oak trees. Wish I did not have now. Pray they do now blow to the north and fall on our house.

Still do not have a generator and when the power goes off well you guessed it. Helen is in the kitchen cooking so we can have some food already done to eat when we get hungry. All of the other stuff is in place and we will be getting strong winds and rain come 8PM tonight.

When the power goes you all will not be hearing from us for the duration. Hoping we dont lose the power.

Going Now so lets hope for the best.

Ray & Helen

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Ray, I'm glad you have the windows covered now. You and Helen hunker down and stay safe. I'll be praying for you and Robo, Jane, Jeanne, Jodi and all of our Florida Cruisemates as well as my family in Palm Beach County and the rest of the Floridians.

Phyll

Old September 25th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

As each Hurricane comes it gets to be more and more nerve racking. But strong we will stay . Thankyou

Old September 25th, 2004, 02:43 PM
John F

Hang in there Ray & Helen. Sure hope the storm does not do major damage to you
guys. We are expecting only Tropical storm force winds here tonight and tomorrow in the Punta Gorda area. Sure has been a terrible Hurricane season for all us in the
Sunshine state. Our prayers are with all our Florida friends on the east coast and central part of the state. John & Priscilla
Old September 25th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Hang in there Ray. Yes it is up to a low cat 3 now and is still gaining strenght. Port St Lucie looks like the bullseye again! Last report has her going in there and turning right and going up the center of the state and coming back out into the Atlantic somewhere in Ga. Supposed to go right over Ray and Helen again. Not too worried about the wind here as the house is sturdy and no trees that are threating. Did help the nieghbor cut down a tall pine that was leaning towards their house a hour ago. Only problem we think we will have right here is power going out because of falling trees and probably some flooding but that should not be that bad either. We have gotten very good at this and are quite ready for Jeanne.
Jim

Old September 25th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Ray and Helen..I am thinking of you and all of our family down there..we do have friends in Kissimee..I hope for the best for you. Prayers going your way. God BLess and stay safe.