Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Default Day 2 Caribbean Princess

The 2 things I forgot to mention from Day 1 was the muster drill and the Spa. The drill was pretty easy but we never did get the life jacket for our daughter the entire time we were onboard. As for the Spa they had a Embarkation special "20 min Refreshing foot&ankle massage for only $35 and I made the appointment at 8pm. I believe Rhoda was the nice girl that gave me this special treat and she was wonderful. I started a conversation with her and found out she works every day from 8am to after 8pm with a 1 hr break. Wow! She looked tired but she gave me an extra treat..she massaged my legs as well and afterward my feet and legs felt great again!

Day 2 I woke up very early around 5am. We had ordered room service for 730am but I wanted a cup of coffee so I took my coffee travel mugs and headed upstairs in my PJ..
I found my way around and the crew was busy cleaning the pool area. Throughout the cruise we always saw them cleaning and I must say the ship was very well kept. I found the Horizon Buffet and poured coffee in my mugs. There was no breakfast available at the time but they were getting it ready. I headed down to our cabin and sat on the balcony. I took a sip from the coffee and almost spit it back out. It was soooo bad! My husband agreed and because room service had brought us such awesome coffee the night before we had high hopes for the soon to be delivered breakfast. As I took a shower the food was delivered and we sat on our balcony to eat and relax. The delivered coffee was just as bad and we had come to the conclusion that we would have to suffer for one week. Little daughter woke up and joined us for breakfast as well.
Since we had booked tours for the Eastern caribbean and now headed to Western we had no idea what we should do. We headed to the Desk and looked at some of the tours available on Costa Maya. They seemed expensive and not interesting at all so we came to the conclusion not to book one. We took our swim suits and headed to the pools. Our 11 year old daughter was only allowed on both Calypso pools and the in the aft area the Neptune pool. Since all the "action" was by the Calypso pools we headed there. We picked the one that had the Movies under the Stars screen and started to watch Toy Story. The sound and picture quality are excellent and the odd thing is one can not hear it at the other Calypso pool. This worked out great! One side had movies, the other side had a live band playing some cool tunes. As our daughter wanted to go in the pool we discovered the pool was too deep for her <it started at 5ft> .She is kind of short for her age and the only place for her to go was the hot tub. I did make sure she was allowed to go in there! She wanted to swim so we headed to the other side of the ship and the Neptune Pool was only 4ft..perfect for her. They also had a hot tub there and a small wading area with a tiny slide for little ones. One deck below was the adult pool with an awesome view of the wake. It was very hot and we enjoyed the time together. My husband made a trip to the Internet cafe only to find out he was not able to log on to his network at work. He was upset because he had to work but I was kind of glad! The Internet was slow at times but we had our charges dropped for times that we could not log on right and this was very nice of them. It was almost time for lunch and we headed to the cafe caribe to get some food. We never waited long in lines anywhere during our cruise except during dinner times. The food was okay. I don't remember what we had but it never was out of the ordinary. I thought it was because to the fact that it was indeed just Buffet food and we came to the conclusion after lunch that we would from now on just eat in the dining room.This was our first formal night and before dinner Captain Nicolo Bommarco and crew had a Cocktail Party. We did not attend as we don't drink and had no interest in this. The kids always enjoyed formal nights on previous cruises so they had fun getting ready for it. We had choosen PC dining a first for us and my husband was a bit disappointed that I had insisted on doing it. But I wanted the freedom to pick a time when to dine. We went to the Palm dining room and did not have any trouble getting a table. The smoke in front of the dining room was bothering me and it even drifted into the dining room at times. Our waiters are the very best I ever had. Waiter Aturo and wife Jr waiter Suemy. We all agreed they made our dinner and the service was superb. I can't remember what we ate but this was my first night I encountered the "Love Boat desert" Wow! I usually can not eat sugar that much but I did have it every night. The ice cream of the night was Nutella ice cream and it was outstanding. I asked for a double Expresso and there after I had my double expresso every night without asking. The bread rolls were good too..the butter had ice on it and was frozen. Right after we left we made reservations at 8pm every night with the same waiters. We also inquired if they work in the morning and yes we had breakfast with them too. The dining room initself wasn't very impressive. Yes it was nice but nothing like on my 2 previous cruises on RCCL. No one was playing piano and the ceilings are kind of low. But it had lights on them and it looked kind of like a bunch of stars which was nice. Everyone was dressed up except one young teen with flip flops and shorts. It does not bother me but I am wondering why the parents would allow this.

After dinner we walked around a bit and looked at the shops and tried to find our way around. Next day was Costa Maya and I was excited to see a new port...little did I know what we would encounter there! After checking with oldest daughter via e-mail we went to our cabin to retire for the night. I had asked the room stewart for an extra chair and was still waiting for it. I had also requested for each night some cheese and crackers that we could enjoy as a late night snack on the balcony however we never did see one single cracker during our cruise. But the bed was made, we had chocolates on our pillows <which our youngest daughter loved> and the steward always put our books up on the pillows..a nice and funny touch. With the balcony door open we fell asleep fast to the sounds of the ocean.

Post Edited (10-07-04 12:26)
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Day 2 Caribbean Princess

I'm enjoying hearing all about your cruise, Sue. You sure went through some obstacles to get on it, but it sounds like it was worth it. I checked out the photo gallery too, and had fun looking through all of your pictures. Looks like your MIL was having a great time too. Had she cruised before?

Keep on with the cruise journal. :-)

Phyll

Old October 7th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Day 2 Caribbean Princess

Thanks Phyll I know I am no a writer and not a good speller <after all this is not my language> but I am trying. This was my MIL'S first cruise and I do hope we will do another one with her.

Old October 7th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Oh Sue, you are doing a wonderful job, whether or not it is your language! I really feel like I'm crusing along with you and sitting at your dining table! Keep up the good work!

donna

Old October 8th, 2004, 06:57 AM
VTJen

Great Job!!!

Nutella ice cream! I love nutella, I usally dip pretzels in it. I bet it was tasty.

Makes me so wish I had a cruise waiting in the wings...
I'll just wait for your next installment.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old October 8th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Day 2 Caribbean Princess

I thank you both for your kind words. Nutella is my favorite snack since I was brought up on it in Germany. I don't buy it anymore due to my sugars but on the ship I did have the nutella icecream...