Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Good Monday Morning................

Good (?) Morning gang! It is Monday, it is Columbus day here in the States and Thanksgiving Day up in Canada. So while a lot of people get off of work, I do NOT!!!! No rest for us nurses and other workers who are there to serve others (except the post office! lol)

Enjoying the weather here - clear and sunny and cool, and the colors are spectacular!

Have a great day everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Good Monday Morning................

Good morning Lisa,
Here in sunny Fl we have school too. It's final exams here at my high school so that means 2 days of fun!. Not too bad a weekend. got most of the yard cleaned up. Found my gardens underneath tons of weeds. this is the nice part of Fl. this is the time for gardening instead of up north where you are finished we just put in tomatoes etc. Hope you'll had a good weekend. Angela, keep me posted on Largo. Sue, did you get all your shutters down? We still have some on on our 2nd story. Have a good one all of you and enjoy of you are off!
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Admiral

Good morning from chilly Ohio. It is 43 here this morning and I to have to work. Hope everyone has a great day.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old October 11th, 2004, 05:45 AM
salem5050

No day off for me! But my husband is a letter carrier, and its a well deserved holiday for postal employees...and Lisa I do think they serve the public. My husband has been involved in many incidents of helping people in his 32 years of serving the public. And by help I mean doing other then delivering the mail. Letter carriers are involved in many rescues of the elderly, due to letter carriers knowing the habits of their patrons and reporting when things just do not seem right. And my husband has also retrieved lost dogs, kids etc.

I am not sure if that was a "dig" at postal employees or not, but I did not like it. I also hate it when people say "snail mail".

Guess I am touchy cause my husband is off due to a brain injury suffered when the weather was icy and the mail must go thru..so everyone can get their junk mail!
My husband has had a tough time of it since his fall......so give us postal families a break!

Mary Margaret
Old October 11th, 2004, 05:50 AM
First Mate

Mary - The postal workers do work very hard. My ex-husband is (and has been for many years) a letter carrier. I remember many days him coning home worn out and sweaty from a hot humid summer day or chilled to the bone on those cold days out delivering the mail. And driving those mail trucks through the snow and ice, not exactly easy! I, like you, do have an appreciation for the letter carriers of the world.
Old October 11th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Admiral

Mornin' all,

I'm glad it's Monday so I can go back to work where everything is normal. <G> I tore apart the three windows in the master bedroom and when I was ready to install one of the new windows, the weld came apart. Well, I thought, I can get the other three in and get the broken one repaired. Lo and behold, every time I grabbed a window, they came apart. So I had to wrap the windows back up, and make a trip back to the Homely Depot. The manager there "has never seen this happen". I'm really getting tired of this. Maybe I ought to go on the "gripe board" and see if I can get a free cruise or something. <VBG>

Another depressing Monday up here in Buffalo Bills land. Next week the Dolphins play up here to see who is the worst team in the league. They are the only teams in the NFL not to win a game yet. Let me see...if I don't get season tickets, I can afford another cruise. Hmm........

Hope everybody has a great week.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old October 11th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Admiral

Good morning friends from a chilly Pittsburgh, PA. It feels wonderful having today off. Gary and I both took the day off. Our new garage door will be installed today and we are also having our dishwasher repaired. It is supposed to be a very nice day, but they said that yesterday also. Our weather man said yesterday would be a "10"...NOT! The sun never came out and it was freezing in the mountains. We couldn't even really enjoy the beautilful leaves because it was so gray and overcast all day.
Have a great day!

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:41 AM
VTJen

Good morning all.

Grey and rainy here in northern Vermont. The leaves have reached peak. Yesterday the drive to the reestaurant was spectacular. There was just enough sun to accentuate clusters of the red and gold leaves. Our family dinner turned out bigger than I anticipated, as both my niece and her boyfriend and my nephew and his fiancee stayed in town long enough to partake, also my son's girlfriend joined us - so we were a party of 11. Felt bad for my mom who insisted she was paying for the whole check. In the spirit of Canadian Thanksgiving I opted for the Turkey dinner -delish!!!

Yestersday started out totally depressing - as I was getting out of the shower I noticed my husband and son were back, they had left for church before I got in the shower (they get their early. Son- choir runs thru a last minute rehearsal, husband video tapes each service to air on the local peg access tv channel - so he and the pastor do an opening, then he sets up in the sanctuary). I asked why they were home. When they went to get into husbands truck he realized he didn't have the key (until the middle of last week we left all keys in ignitions, unlocked as well as our homes. My neighbor who works as the prison stopped by to say that there had been many break-ins in the neighborhood, lots of cars and home [amazing they started once another neighbor's child got realized from a juvenile detention facility]. So we decided we should be wise and start locking up). He sat the church video camera on the side the of truck (we do all the video editing here at home) went back in the house, got the key. He and son drove off. When they got about half a mile from the house they realized their mistake - quickly backed tracked to see where the video camera bag fell off. It was probably no more than a minute and a half. They figured it fell into the road when they turned at the bottom of our hill and onto the main road. It was gone. Nowhere to be seen. We called the police station to see if anyone turned it in. No such luck. Went to church, broke the sad news. I'm trying to think how on earth we can come up with about $1000 to replace the camera and special microphone that went with it. Felt sick all day. Went back to church in the evening and enjoyed a wonderful gospel concert. When we got home there was a message on the machine from a guy that my husband used to work with, and a man who actually owned a home that the Church rented as a parsonage for about 7 years. He's message was that his brother in law had found the video camera bag and that he had found his name in it. The man who found it had asked his neighbor, who knew my husband. That man knew that George the man who called us knew our number. So after a very stressful day we had a great ending. Gary went to pick up the camera - with a reward check from the church. He said they appeared to be very poor people. It is good to know that someone who seemed to be in need (he has a disability) was so honest. As that man who found it, Bill, was picking it up he just beat an out of state car that was stopping to pick up the camera (which was right in the road where my husband guessed it fell of the truck) - Bill told the out of stater that this camera belonged to someone around here and he was gonna make sure they got it back.

It is so nice to know that there are still decent people. I was feeling pretty crummy all day, thinking, Lord - could we just have a day without some sort of incident. But, that was very wrong of me. If it hadn't have happened I would have never been blessed by this man's honesty, and maybe he and his family really needed the reward money that we gave him from the church. God could have prevented it from all happening, but two blessing would have been prevented - probably more, as when the rest of the church finds out the "rest of the story" they will be blessed too. It was a good reminder of me that I should not second guess why things happen. Things happen for reason. OK - sermon over.

Mary Margaret - I think that postmen/women are awesome. The highligt of the day is stopping at the mailbox and seeing what wonderful things may be inside. We have the world's greatest mailman.

I did enjoy the Patriots win yesterday. Son is a Miami fan and he's not enjoying the season - tho' next week could be their week - we'll see won't we Ed. Don't dispair.

I'm bringing the pup to be groomed. Will visit with my eldest sister who lives just down the road during this process. We don't get to visit very often. My brother may also come over while I'm there. After I'll come home and meeting a friend. She has the day off from work so we will do something fun - even if it's just lunch.

Husband will hopefully be successful in getting new keys to son's car today. I can't believe how much car trouble we have. My husband starts on call this week. We have another college installment to pay this week, so hopefully he'll get some overtime to help offset this cost. But, if not - we'll have more time together, so either way I'll be thankful.

Hope you all have a wonderful day - Hope all our Canadian friends enjoy their dinners. Don't work too hard Donna.

a very Thankful VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CM family from the Home of the Brave and the land of the wetttt. I t hink my feet are starting grow webs between my toes. Posting from work today and hope we are not busy.

Hope all of you have a good day and Happy Thanksgiving to our Friends to the north. I know some of you may have the day off for Columbus Day so I hope you enjoy that.
TTFN

Old October 11th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Admiral

Wishing everyone a G R E A T morning to start the new week. I'm working today too Lisa, although I did take off last Friday!

Went to an auction Saturday night. You'd never guess what I came home with....a Totem Pole! I love it. Spend Sunday doing some landscaping with rocks and pebbles-and I'm feelin' that today.

Fall is finally in the air in central Texas, and I'm savoring every minute under 80 degrees!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Good morning Cruisemates. Had a terrific weekend but now it's back to the daily grind. Another busy week at work.

Last night my husband and I, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and two friends were swapping cruise stories over dinner. We're thinking very seriously of all going on a three-day together in January. That would be great news! Please keep your fingers crossed for us!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old October 11th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Good late morning all from Montreal, where I over-slept when I should have been up early cleaning and getting ready for a family turkey dinner! I think I only slept sometime after 4a.m., and the way things are going for me, I have to sleep when I can!
It looks dull out there today, and chilly as well, although it's supposed to be about 14C
(57F) and sunny later. I hope it's decent enough for the smoking memebers of my family to stay outside and smoke when they come for dinner. (This may sound rude, but my husband, son and I suffer from asthma and allergies and cannot tolerate smoke).
Better get to work; I've got a lot of cleaning and preparation to do before the guests arrive. So much for a day off!!

donna

Old October 11th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone from the land of 10,000 colors. It is Autumn Splendor here in Minnesota. The sumac are now full red and they have added to the peak colors. This morning I will try to get a picture with the new camera to show the colors. I purchased a new in box camera via Ebay. It is a newer version of the Sony that I currently have. It corrects the things I disliked about the old one but I was a bit out of it yesterday so I still have to figure out the new features.

MM: I love our postal carrier. She is great. I do not envy her having to drive the rural route that she has with the dusty gravel roads. She often has to wear a surgical mask to cut down on the dust. Earlier this summer she was so happy when I gave her a box of them. She will always go out of her way and bring packages to the door instead of just putting the note in the box to pick them up at the post office.

I hope everyone has a great Monday and a wonderful week.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:36 AM
L&S80

Morning from the Pacific Northwest..........chilly today.....John I understand about the 'web feet'..........<S> Happy Turkey day to all of our Canadian friends.......looking forward to the pics Mike.......
Hope everyone has a great Monday.........

Sharon
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Good Monday morning, no day off for me. The day started off cloudy, but the clouds are breaking up the sun in trying to come out. Autum is definately here in central Mass. The leaves are turning. Our house overlooks a large field with a line of trees at the far edge of the property. Those trees are looking beautiful. Its such a nice view out of our front window.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Had Thanksgiving dinner at a friends place last night, and it was fabulous. She's a "Martha Stewart" type homemaker (without the prison sentence) and the home and setting were amazing. Heck even the bread plates were turkey designs.

Other friends who are late for everything were invited as well. So, when they walked in I said we do have something to be thankful for.... you're on time! <G>

They're long time friends, who know me, so we're still friends.

Last night we were down in the low 30s, but temps close to 70 F expected for today, and most of the week.... so pleasant fall weather!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 11th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

To all who think I was dissing postal workers, I was NOT! I just mentioned that most people who are in service occupations do NOT get the day off, while postal workers do....no dig, no disrespect. I humbly apologize if people did not realize this.

Old October 11th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Good morning ( I have 10 minutes left of it anyway)

It's a beautiful sunny colorful day here in WI . I've been out and done some errands. Sure felt good to get back to Walmart.

Lisa, I knew you didn't mean anything harmful by what you said. Sometimes it's easy to misunderstand things when they are just written out. At least it did give folks an opportunity to let our postal carriers know we do appreciate them.

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends. I am beginning to get a real hunger for a big turkey dinner with all of this talk.

Phyll

Old October 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Denise H

hi lisa

its cool and sunny here in mpls i hope you have a good day