Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Yeoman

Default Opinions, Advice, HELP needed please

I'm dreaming of booking our next cruise. Here's my idea: I want to take our kids this time. (Adults actually). They are my daughter, 26 and my son 23, and his wife, 22.
Here are my thoughts so far:

Departure Port: I won't fly (don't ask)...so the port has to be within driving distance of Ontario, Canada. Our first cruise we drove to Baltimore, but a better option would be New York/NewJersey.

Cruise Lines: We loved RCI and the Voyager sails out of N.J. but only April-Oct.
NCL cruises out of NY year round, anyone ever sailed from NY in Feb. or March? Any thoughts?

Dates: I'd really love to try the Voyager, but on the other hand I've always wanted to go somewhere hot in the middle of our Canadian winter, so doing NCL out of NY in Feb. is very appealing.

Itinerary: We really don't care, but would prefer not to go to just Bermuda...we were there the first time and would like to see something different.

Cabins: We would probably have to get two with our daughter staying with us in one cabin & my son & his wife in another. But I'm wondering about anything that would accomodate all 5 of us. But if you pay per person that's going to really add up...Eg: a suite is 2400. PP so do you pay that for all 5? Or do you pay for 2 and then a lesser fare for 3, 4, 5 etc.??? Anyone ever done this??? So would it be cheaper to book 2 inside cabins at 1200. PP and just pay for a 3rd for our daughter in our cabin??

I'd appreciate any help, suggestions, or advice.
Thanks,
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Opinions, Advice, HELP needed please

You are pretty much "stuck" with the NCL cruise out of NY if you want to go Feb /March.
Watch out for Spring break dates in March.
Drive to NY in Feb / March from Ontario might be fun given the weather possibilities.I'd give two days leeway on that just in case.
Sailing from NY you will be headed to Florida. On the way it will get warmer, but, you are not likely to ever hit true "lie out by the pool" weather.
As far as your various pricing scenarios, that is what a good TA is for.
I hope it all works out for you.
Old October 14th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Admiral

It sounds to me like your best option is to continue driving south to another port to find the cruise you really want to take. Is it possible you can add a day before and after your vacation to have another driving day?

Out of Charleston you can take NCL to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Key West and it is only about 9 hours more driving from Baltimore.

Out of Jacksonville you can take Carnival 4-5 days (although I wouldn't drive that far for a 4-5 day cruise) to Bahamas and Key West. Or you can take Celebrity Zenith for 14 day cruise to the Southern Caribbean. Jacksonville is another 11.5 to 12 hour drive from Baltimore.

Ft. Lauderdale is about 16.5 - 17 hours from Baltimore. And you can find any cruise you want out of there.

If you've got the extra days, just pack along a portable DVD player and stock up on movies and enjoy the drive.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Yeoman

Thanks for the suggestions Papa Bill & Thomas. I don't think driving for two days in the winter just to get to a warmer climate to start with is feasible. We'll have time constraints due to work schedules of 5 different people. It's like trying to organize an army sometimes. As long as we get a couple of nice days when we get to the Florida or Bahamas ports we'll be happy.
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Ginnie

NCL has a 10 night cruise round trip from New York on February 10, 2005. It's a wonderful itinerary with ports of call in St. Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, St. Maarten and Tortola. The ship spends the first 2 and the last 2 days at sea, and by the second day at sea you will be able to enjoy the sunshine.
Talk to a good travel agent and get all the details .
Ginnie
Old October 15th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Boston could also be considered as a port of departure. Go talk to a travel agent and let them find the cruise that would be suit your needs. You can also surf around the major cruise lines web sites to see what they have to offer you. Princess, HAL, RCCL, NCL, Celebrity & Carnival.
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Lorrie Barancyk

We've cruised with our kids before and here is my suggestion. Get an outside (balcony is preferred) cabin for yourselves and an inside (across the hall from you) cabin for the other three. If you are paying for this why would you give the privacy to the kids and not yourselves??? NO>>>THIS IS NOT SELFISH!!! The young adults will be up partying half the night and will wake you when they come in so let them room together. Another suggestion is to go with Royal caribbean and the mega ship...especially with the "kids". We've done the Voyager and the Adventurer with the kids (we have 6...from 33 to 20 and 4 are married) and have had a wonderful time...the first time we had the younger 2 room with us and the second time we had a room to ourselves. The latter is much better! The first time I felt like a babysitter and only enjoyed a small portion of the cruise...second time was great!! Those MEGA ships have something for everyone and will offer you an experience you'll never forget....MY ADVICE>>>Get on drugs and fly to catch the ship anywhere it leaves from...it's worth it! Our next cruise is the Voyager (again) leaving Oct. 22nd from New Jersey. ONLY 4 days to go!...Sea Ya!