Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Cruizin K and J

Default Flu Shots

I read with interest the thread about flu shots. I didn't know if anyone would read my contribution to that thread, but I did want to tell everyone why I didn't post on the Good Morning thread.

Keith and I got up at 4:10 a.m. today. We arrived at the market's pharmacy at 5:18 a.m. armed with warm jackets, chairs, blanket, coffee thermos, and reading material. As it turned out, we were nos. 57 and 58 , so plenty of others got up before we did.

We met a lot of nice peope, I dozed a bit, and at 9 a.m., they handed out questionnaires. Finally, at 10:30 a.m., we received our shots. They had 150 shots, but there were over 200 people. Many sites had more than that.

So now it's over. That's the last shot clinic that we know of. I am especially glad Keith was able to get a shot, even though it radically changed his plans for the day, much to his chagrin.

So it took about five hours sitting on a cold sidewalk to get those shots. I surely hope there is no such fiasco next year.

Judy
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Flu Shots

Judy,
I have a chronic auto immune disease, and I have been told by my doctor that it is imperative that I get the flu shot every year, and I have always gotten it in her office. Well, our insurance changed this year and I had to find a new doctor. When I was at the new doctor's office on September 30, before the announcement about the dearth of vaccine available, I asked to get my shot. I was chagrined to be told that her office does not give them. I was told to contact the Maricopa Country Health Department to find out about clinics being held in my area. I called the next day and was given an appointment at a Walgreen's near my house, with an e-mail reminder promised for a couple of days before the clinic. That weekend is when all hell broke loose. Within 48 hours I received an e-mail stating that all clinics had been cancelled, and that they had NO information on where or when the shots would be available. Since then, I have only been able to find out about one clinic at a Costco near here, but you have to be a member to receive the shot, and I am not. So... there it is. Apparently, no shot for me this year. Hopefully I'll stay healthy anyway. Who would have ever thought that it could come to this?

Old October 17th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Admiral

We usually get our flu shots from our family doctor, but when the stories about there being a shortage of flu shots for this year began, we went immediately to a Sr Center that was giving shots and were 494 & 495 out of 500 to get our shots. Fortunately we got to sit inside where there were tables and chairs while we were waiting. Had to wait for 3 hours but at least we got them. Feel so bad for others not as fortunate as we were. It is a sad state of affairs when the United States can't produce enough of the medications needed to keep our people healthy. Perhaps we should change our policies about where out tax dollars go and begin to take care of our own.

Carnival Glory
Old October 17th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Flu Shots

You would think the United States is a 3rd world country! Vote people, vote!

Old October 17th, 2004, 07:22 AM
SarahJ

Jennifer -- I think it is sad that you had to switch doctors due to your health insurance change. Something is wrong here.

I am doing with out the shot this year since I am not considered high risk. The last time I didn't get the shot, I got the full blown flu that lasted 10 days. I hope this year is different.
Old October 17th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Last week, after reading all the news reports, I began a search for our shots. Called my Family Doctor. He did not have them and did not expect to get any. Heard about shots being giving at local Publix stores. Called my local store. Yes we had them Yesterday. When will you get more? Oct 29 maybe. So where can I get them now? Call the other Publix stores to check them out? So I did call. Called about a dozen. Finally I found out that one about 12 miles from us had them and would start shooting about 3-7PM. We High tailed down there geting there before 3PM. Found the store and there was a big bunch of people lined up outside. Gosh what the heck is going on, I said. We parked and headed over to the line. Someone said you had to get a number. Where? Over there somewhere they said. Helen, "you stay in line and I will go seek out the number giver. Found him/her. Our number was B52-53. They said they will have about 300 shots. So we were number 152 and 153. SO WE WAITED. After 3 1/2 later our number was called. We did get out shots and thank goodness thats over. They wanted to give us pneumonia shots. We told them we had already been shot for that. After 65 it is suppose to last for the rest of your life. So they scratched that off the Medicare form.

"AND THATS MY STORY AND I AM STICKING TO IT".

Hope this don't happen next year.

Post Edited (10-17-04 09:36)

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old October 17th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Admiral

I got my shot before there was anything said about a shortage -- and I do feel guilty that I got it--I work at Costco and it was free to employees----- so I took advantage of that--- I've gotten a flu shot for the last 10-12 years. We had several flu clinics at my building-- before the shortage and then one right after the big annoucement----- the line was so long way before we opened---made the news---The last one was set for yesterday but it was canceled----- no vacine---------
I'm glad my mom got her's-- same day that the big announcement was made that there was a shortage
My father in law--- got his--- his doctor gave him his shot before he even knew what he was doing---- he has cancer and other health issues
Last but not least my husbands great grandma got her at Costco---- not my store-- but she too waited-- got there at 11:30 for a 3:00 start time and she was 96 in line-- thank goodness when 3:00 came around a nurse went though the line and asked if there was anyone over 90--- she said yes-- she is 94 1/2-- and got to go to the front--
Jennifer I hope you will find a place to get a shot---
April
Old October 17th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Thank goodness we were able to get our shots (flu & pneumonia) last Saturday. Mort has asthma, and I am on a medication for RA that suppresses the immune system. And - both of us are OLD! We got to the Publix supermarket 3 hours before the shots were scheduled to begin and were lucky enough to be number 24 & 25 in line. When we left, the line was around the block, and many folks had to be turned away. It is so sad to hear and read about all the people who need the shot and are unable to get it. Can't believe what has been happening in the USA.
Cindy

Post Edited (10-17-04 13:03)
Old October 19th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Admiral

It truly is a shame that people have to put out so much effort to get a flu shot. I agree with Sue's comment about feeling like we are in a Third World Country!!! Luckily my husband & I were able to get shots....he recently suffered a stroke and has other medical problems, the last thing he would need is the flu!!!

And yes, the good ol U.S. of A should be able to produce our own flu vaccines, I feel... I hope to God this does not happen again next year....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Admiral

What is amazing to me is that Dr's and other health officials have always had such a hard time getting people to take flu shots that they actually have to spend millions in advertising advising people to do so. Now this year a glitch came up in the manufacture of one of the suppliers and suddenly the enire population is demanding the shot and blaming the US Government for not having it! (Since when it is the responsibility of the Federal Government or even the State government to make flu vaccine) If you are in a high risk group then yes, get the flu shot, there are enough for those actually in need. If you are fairly healthy then wait and get it when the next batch becomes available or do what you can to remain flu free this year.
Jim