Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Default House Construction Woes Etal....

I guess it must be time for an update on our home construction project. Many of you know we sold our house extremely quickly last summer and have been planning the construction of a new house.As might have been expected, the progress on the new one is much slower than we were told to expect. This is the fourth house we've had built in our twenty plus years together.. I guess we're slow learners or else we like pain. I'm not sure which. I can't believe we're doing it yet again.

The house was to have been completed just after Christmas and after many unexpected delays, they finally set the forms for the pouring of the foundation yesterday. Somehow I don't think their completion date is even close.

Well that is the bad news and now for the good news:

We are eagerly anticipating our cruise on the Constellation over Thanksgiving. We also just booked another cruise leaving on 12-18-04 and ending on Christmas day. We will spend Christmas day and a few days post cruise in Port St. Luce, Florida at the home of two of our best friends. This cruise will be exciting because we were able to get an aft facing suite at a very inexpensive rate on the Norwegian Sun. I would not have booked this cruise (We don't really love N.C.L. a lot.) but the price and the cabin quality were right and we were both bummed about the slow pace of the house project. Besides it will be a great treat to see our super friends, Terry and Phoebe just after the cruise. And besides how big of an excuse do you need to go on a cruise.

So we have much for which to be grateful and have two great cruises planned within the next two months. So I guess life isn't all that bad. But I must say this interim rental duplex is driving me nuts. We call this rental house "the litter box" for good reason and we can't wait until the new digs are ready for habitation.

Besides I guess I'm just homesick because we really miss our belongings that are patiently waiting in boxes for the new home.

Post Edited (10-20-04 18:50)
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: House Construction Woes Etal....

Chuck - I'm thinking you must be a glutton for punishment......but to have your own home built to your specs is truly special. Hang in there......and congrats on the cruises!!!!! An aft suite on any ship is great....can't wait to hear your impressions of NCL.

Old October 19th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Admiral

This is the 4th time you've put yourself through this? The word deranged comes to mind, but then, you have a cruise AND a lovely new home to look forward to! Good luck Chuck!

donna

Old October 20th, 2004, 06:49 AM
VTJen

At least you have wonderful things waiting for you at the end of this.
Hopefully, once the foundation is poured things will move swiftly. We decided to build a parsonage on the church property. Things started in August, and we will have the Pastor moved in by the first of November. It seemed like nothing was happening for the longest time, then it just fell into place. I hope that happens for you too.

Just think how much more you'll love it once your out of the "litterbox", plus those cruises and visit with friends will bouy your spirits.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old October 20th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Hopefully you will stay in this house since you are building it to your specs! Then you never have to move again!! lol 2 cruises does sound like a good reward though!!

Old October 20th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Chuck, thanks for the update .... the Christmas cruise sounds just what you need.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Now you just have to make sure that when the house is complete, you're away cruising, and you have a whole bunch of friends lined up to move you in your abscence.

We did this once, when we were on a land trip to Hawaii during a move. Just make sure you tell them everything has to be unpacked right away too <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/