Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:20 AM
Admiral

Default Who Gets To Go To Washington???

It seems the candidates all want to jump on the baseball bandwagon....

If you REALLY want to go straight to Washington, you'd better be an Expos fan.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:13 AM
Angela Z,

Default Re: Who Gets To Go To Washington???

...or planning a reunion with your college roommates!

Angela Z., who leaves for DC on the 6th of Nov. Yahoo!!!
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:26 AM
Admiral

ANglea..What office were you elected to..>G<

Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Bye bye Expos......*sniff*

donna

Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:53 AM
VTJen

Still sad to see the Expos leave, it was the closest park for us to go to.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:38 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Who Gets To Go To Washington???

Well, apparently you didn't go very often!

Now they'll just be a Metro ride away from me, and I'll begin to get over how I felt when the Dodgers moved to LA, and later, when the Senators moved to Texas. For a baseball fan who has been twice deprived, this (and the Sox' perforance this week) has been sweet revenge.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Don't know how the DC area expects to support another baseball team. They've already lost two but we'll see if the nation's capital can keep this one.

The Montreal Expos were bought by the other baseball owners to keep them out of bankruptcy and being business owners themselves they had to make a move. After all, the Jacksonville Suns (double A) outdrew the Expos.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
AR

Thomas--

Apparently you haven't kept up with Washington metro area demographics over the three decades since the Senators left.

The situation boils down to one simple question: what other market is better equipped economically to support a team? San Juan?

Let me put it another way: we bought our house here (in Arlington) the same year the Senators left. If a bulldozer were to raze the house tomorrow, the empty lot would be worth TEN TIMES what the house cost us. With the house still standing, we could sell it tomorrow for 20-25 times the price. If the value had grown only at the inflation rate, it would be worth just 4-5 times what we paid.

Washington has an ample supply of spendable cash. And what town has more law firms poised to scarf up the skyboxes and choice box seats season after season?

Our new team (which in all probability will not be called the Expos) will do fine. And with luck we'll get decent owenership that will build the roster into a winning club by the time the new stadium is ready.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Sorry AR but I disagree. It's not the amount of cash available it's the fan base. Washington is a football town, the Redskins! Look at all the cash available out in L.A. but do they have a football team? Nope!

Does St. Louis have a basketball team? Nope! St. Louis is a baseball town.

There's enough available cash in almost any city to support any pro franchise but the question is are there enough fans of the sport to support it over the long haul and I believe Washington has proven it doesn't support baseball. It probably will for a while, but let's wait 25 years and see.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 23rd, 2004, 10:38 AM
AR

I'll take the bet. I don't believe for an instant that a fan base is "defined" by a given sport. You are right that the Redskins do well. So well that despite putting out a mediocre to terrible product for years now, tickets are not available because the waiting list is still miles long for seasons tickets, and the entire stadium is sold only by the season. No individual tickets are sold. The Caps (when there's hockey) also draw far better than their performance justifies. The Wizards do too.

In any event, the owners' monopolistic cartel that runs MLB, and whose focus is profit and profit only, have overwhelmingly elected to follow the money. Clearly, no other market without a team represents anything close to the profit potential of this one.
Old October 25th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Janmd

I have to agree with Thomas.
We live in the metro area and we still can't believ that DC got the team.

The Orioles owner allowed this to happen so he can fill his pockets with some more money. He got all his money off of the tobacco settlements. Read all the information regarding the owner of the O's. It is very, very interesting. The stadium this past year was not even full, and for DC to think that they are going to get people to go to that part of the city, it is just not going to happen. I could see the team in VA but sure not in DC.
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:52 PM
AR

Janmd--

Peter Angelos, the Orioles' owner, fought tooth and nail for years to keep baseball out of DC. He only relented last month because a) the other owners gave him a potful of money, and b) they essentially made it a take it or leave it proposition. He was going to be steamrollered, and he knew it, so he made the best deal he could. For you to say in your post that he "allowed this to happen" implies that he had a choice or a veto. He did not, so that's a fundamental misstatement of fact. You are right that Camden Yards was not "full" this year, but given the quality of the team, they drew very well. I was there for a meaningless game on the last weekend of the season and they drew 30,000.

And by the way, Angelos didn't make "all his money" from tobacco settlements. He made a great deal of it from asbestos settlements, and he's made a few pennies from the Orioles!

I'm curious to know what you mean by "that part of the city." I live in Arlington and have been going to RFK for various things for 35 years with no ill effects. And, have you forgotten that RFK was completely sold out for every Redskins game played there for decades? And that it couldn't be more convenient with its own Metro stop? I fully expect to survive going to "that part of the city" for three years while the new park is being built on the Anacostia waterfront. And when it opens, I fully intend to go to "that part of the city" as well. I will not be alone.