Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2004, 07:14 AM
salem5050

Default Boston Fans riot! Shame on them!

Shame on you Boston Fans...that poor girl died due to stupidity on a lot of people parts.
Where are the parents of these jerks that riot, burn, destroy? Or where are the spouses of these jerks? Better yet where is the concious of these jerks, that they justify doing this stuff!!
Sorry but I just don't get it? Ugh, what a world we live in!
What happened to parades when your team wins, and flag waving...etc..

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

Default Re: Boston Fans riot! Shame on them!

I agree with you, it is shameful the way people "celebrate" now. rioting and burning, breaking windows, it just doesn't make sense!

Old October 23rd, 2004, 08:10 AM
VTJen

I too agree, celebrating should bring out the best in people - happiness. I never knew that by destroying things and lives were ways to show joy and appreciation for a job well done.

Hopefully people will be able to control themselves during the next few days, finding healthy outlets for emotions, be it joy or disappointment.

This girls death and the damage done by revelers has put a cloud over what should be happy time.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 2/2004
Old October 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM
Admiral

I heard on the news last night the Mayor of Boston was contemplating outlawing alcohol in venues around Fenway Park during the World Series. I'm not in favor of this since it denies the responsible people their rights to enjoy themselves just because of a few hooligans who can't behave.

Why can the fans in other cities celebrate without the same mayhem?

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 23rd, 2004, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Oh, but Thomas, it happens all the time all over the place. I often ask myself, "What is our society coming to?" People seems to have lost all reason.

Old October 23rd, 2004, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Although the authorities decided not to ban the sale of alcoholic beverages in the vicinity of Fenway, they did ban the presence of live TV cameras inside Boston bars during the upcoming games. The practice of showing drunken fans whooping it up every time the Red sox did something noteworthy was a real turnoff for me (and I'm a long-time Sox fan who used to work in Beantown).

But we shouldn't think that all the drunken rowdies in the Boston streets during the World Series will spill out of the local bars. Many of them will be pouring out of Fenway Park after watching a game while enjoying their fair share of Samuel Adams and other brews of choice. I'm assuming that the vendors at Fenway still sell "all the beer you can drink".

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old October 23rd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Parrot Mom

Please do not blame the Red Sox Nation for that tragedy....there were over 60,000 people in a very narrow area.. Most of these people were college students, Fenway Park is in the middle of Boston surrounded by large colleges.. The Chief of Police has taken full responsibility, I believe she immediately went to the home of the young lady.... the two police offers involved and their Commander have been relieved. The police fired without warning directly at the heads of the people..The Mayor of Boston, Thomas Meninno was visbily upset The young lady was an innocent bystander. Three of the Red Sox players, Wakefield, Schilling and Ortiz immediately made tv spots urging the fans not to repeat the incidents. It is not an excuse, but we have seen the same incidents in other cities.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:24 PM
salem5050

Sorry, but there is NO excuse for this.
I don't care how narrow a area it is....thats no reason to act like animals, and from the pictures on tv there sure were plenty of stupid people doing stupid stuff, be they Boston fans or whoever.

Mary Margaret.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 07:27 PM
Passenger

What a sad thing to happen during what should have been a great celebration for Boston.It can happen anywhere ...but...I must admit that Ive enjoyed many sporting events from "bars",and during the games our local channels will show the "fans" excitement.But in all the years that Ive been home watching,I never saw fans do anything more than cheering their team,and would hate for Houston to enforce a ban.Its sad when law abidding people have their rights ruined by obnoxious people.And certainly terrible when an innocent person pays with their life.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 10:13 PM
Admiral

I dont normally comment on these types of issues and just keep it to myself but this was such a tragedy I had to add my 2 cents worth. From all the new coverage that I have seen, it seems that most were college age kids..this is a shame that one innocent person had to pay with her life to celebrate a sporting victory. While she WAS innocent in the whole scheme of things..she WAS there amounst a lot of stupid stuff that was going on. Common sense would normally tell you that, this is getting out of hand and I must leave. The most common thing about common sense these days is, that it is not too common anymore. When you lay down with the dogs, you are going to get fleas.

Old October 25th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Admiral

as the other locals have stated it here, it was mostly rowdy unsupervised college kids that caused the rioting, not that that's anykind of excuse, i think its just plain stupid on the kids parts.
That poor girl was the victim of bad judgement and being at the wrong place at the wrong time, how tragic.