Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Trip's Trip

Hi everyone, and thanks for the nice welcome home, it is very much appreciated..This cruise did start off as a Cruisemate's cruise as Sarah mentioned, but in hurricane season, sometimes some ships sell better then others, so Off I went hosting my only guest....hubby Bruce!

This was the 2nd time I cruised with Celebrity, I sailed the Mercury 2 years ago. with Celebrity's drastic changes for the year 05, and maybe beyond, it may be a while before I get to sail them again, so I will just give some of my observations, the good, bad, and the ugly.

We stayed 2 days at the Renaissance Hotel on 17th St, and it was fabulous, we had dinner with some chat friends at Houston's and lunched at the home of one of them the next day..that was very special, as we have chatted since 96, and each meeting is a memory I cherish.

Embarkation was a breeze, we were on the ship, by noon, and ready to rock and roll, or so I thought..This condition that swells my foot, reared its ugly head, and was in full speed by Monday..It's so odd this waits a couple of days to kick in, so it did slow down my activities, and my desire to really check out more of the ship....

I found that the Lido buffet was mediocre at best...not surprising really..food combinations that challenge the tongue, cold food, bacon that could stand up and salute it was so crisp, and sometimes it was in like 2 inch pieces... waiters willingly helping you to the table, such a nice touch. We never ate breakfast or lunch in the dining room, and Bruce ate lunch mostly from the poolside grills...

The dining room, was nice, we had a large rear table for 10 in the corner, and was able to see amazing sunsets from this vantage point. The table ended up being for 8 since the the 5th couple opted for late seating instead...better really, easier to chat...the other couples were VERY nice, but, did not follow through with the dress code every night, and I just cannot understand this, but that's just me...

The waiter Venu, was probably the best one I ever had..pleasing everyone with ease,and his charm...Celebrity has a real gem in this man, others I am sure were as great...the asst waiter has a ways to go, midweek, pouring me coffee, instead of tea...but he was very sweet..

The pool area, what can I say, lacked of ANY beauty or charm at all...the one good thing I thought was the permanently covered area for the poolside band to play, and to stage games from...The band was amazing, fantastic, but had no cd out...

Throughout the week, I saw 8 people fall, 3 in this pool area..make it 9 people fall, if I count Castro, falling on tv....These people fell ,and fell hard, and I cringed and felt so bad.. and one girl who fell, got up, and quickly went into the pool..the security man/ woman, [remember PAT from SNL?] sauntered over to the wet spot, and put a cone there, and then, casually looked around the pool for the girl....I stopped her and asked if she was alright..she haultingly told me, she was in the pool, so she MUST be alright, if she wasn't she would have been taken to the DR....I knew that, but her lack of caring to actually talk to the child to show some compassion, bothered me..This was seen again, when one night as I was trying to find tea near the pool..we heard this crashing banging and hissing....we all started to run [ me sort of ] to the noise..to find this keglike box, from the bar..going skidding and hissing across the deck spillling its content...trying to help was this pool waiter who took such a hard fall, I had to look away...there was crew member in a suit, who was walking by, and I told him that his coworker just fell badly, should he go check on him, and he uttered the same thing, the security man/woman said....: he looked okay, if not he would see a Dr..I wanted to smack his lack of compassion...

Okay, my fingers are numb I will tell more later

Post Edited (10-24-04 16:01)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Trip's Trip

Trips Trip is such a good name for your story considering all the tripping going on. I'm sure glad you weren't one of the tripees. You've got me sitting here waiting for more of the story. Shake those fingers out and get typing! I'm enjoying this.

Phyll

Old October 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM
SarahJ

I didn't know FLL had a Houstons -- how far is it from the Renaissance?
Old October 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Come on Triplet, keep the story coming!
This was the 2nd time I cruised with Celebrity, I sailed the Mercury 2 years ago. with Celebrity's drastic changes for the year 05, and maybe beyond, it may be a while before I get to sail them again

What drastic changes for 05?? Is there something we don't know about?

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 24th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Admiral

What Twip Trip.>G<..I am so glad your tag name is not "JUMP"....>G<...I am like the others, I am enjoying this greatly..Keep it going when your fingers get limbered up.

Old October 24th, 2004, 05:18 PM
cruisinKandJ.

The falls and the employee attitudes should be reported to Celebrity in writing.

If I recall correctly, Celebrity made a lot of costly upgrades to a lot of cabins which, most likely, resulted in what some of us would think of as daunting price increases. I can't remember if I read about it on CruiseMates News or on the Celebrity site itself.

I, too, am awaiting the next Trip Chapter!

Judy
Old October 24th, 2004, 05:21 PM
SarahJ

I am anxious to read the next chapter and about the changes in Celebrity.

Cruising in October is often hit or miss. Glad you didn't have any hurricanes!
Old October 24th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Admiral

What I was told by a Celebrity afficianado named Andy is that, Celebrity next year will only have 2 ships that will leave from Fll.The Century, will be doing 9/10 day cruises, and the Millenium, when it comes back from Europe, will be based there too..The others, it seems will be based on the west coast..If what he said, is fact, I know many people will be unhappy, considering the great reputation the line has...I am repeating to you what was told to me, AS FACT, not a rumour

Old October 24th, 2004, 06:08 PM
SarahJ

I am assuming by saying West coast, that means trips to Hawaii plus Mexican Riveria. I think it is safe to believe that there will be a ship out of San Juan also.

Any truths to the rumors about Celebrity selling off 2 of their ships?
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Trip...
Well, I think that's sort of half true. The Century will be only the Celeb ship sailing out of FLL in the summer months, when other ships go to Europe and to Alaska.
But I don't think that's any different from what generally has happened, and happens now, in the summer months.

In the spring and fall, before the "other seasons" start -both Millie and Summit will still sail out of Ft Lauderdale, and they'll still have sailings out of San Juan.

Think the only real change is having the Century doing 9 and 10 day runs in the summer months, instead of the 7. Likely a choice to leave the 7 day summer family trips to all those RCI Voyager Class ships that stay in the Caribb.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Admiral

PHEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old October 24th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Admiral

I've loved reading about Trip's Trip, even including all the tripping going on. I hope that Trip's fingers will soon be tripping over the keys for Trip's Trip Part 2!

donna

Old October 25th, 2004, 07:11 AM
VTJen

To limber up those fingers I would suggest a trip to the store and the purchase of a parafin wax bath - I have one and use it - it really helps calm down the pain caused by arthritis in my hands. A couple of dips for Trip would get those fingers typing in no time.

Loving the travel log so far, keep it coming.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004