CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Insight, please! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/270454-insight-please.html)

Aphrodite October 25th, 2004 01:45 AM

Insight, please!

Hi Guys -
I have decided to purchase a cruise for my mum and dad for Christmas. They have wanted to take an Alaskan cruise for some time and would love to go whale-watching. They are in their 60s and fairly conservative. Any insight would be great!

MaryLou October 25th, 2004 05:14 AM

Re: Insight, please!

Do you plan on making the actual purchase before Christmas? My suggestion would be to gather up the literature from one or two cruiselines and maybe purchase a book on Alaska and give that to them for Christmas. I would then ask them to help pick their trip. I find that planning the trip is half of the fun. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

SarahJ October 25th, 2004 06:32 AM

What a great gift!!!

I also would get tons of Alaska brochures and give that to them and let them pick out their ship, etc.

Donna October 25th, 2004 06:52 AM

Great gift for your folks..

Here is a link with lots of Alaska information:

Alaska Planning Guide

We booked an excursion for Whale Watching in Juneau with Capt. Larry, if interested, let me know and I'll send you his info.

VTJen October 25th, 2004 07:19 AM

What a wonderful idea. And generous. Have fun.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004

Mike M October 25th, 2004 08:27 AM

Aphrodite:

Can I adopt you?

That is a great idea. I would take Mary Lou and Donna's advice and research the trip as much as possible and do it with them.

If it is affordable I would also suggest doing a cruise-tour. This involves a cruise and land portion. One of my regrets was not being able to see more of Alaska. What I did see on the cruise was fantastic. Remember that on the land portion they will have to pay for their meals. This may be a financial consideration.

Princess and Holland America are two cruise lines that have very good cruise and cruise-tour programs.

Take care,
Mike

Aphrodite October 25th, 2004 09:32 AM

Thank you so much -- I love the book idea!

Dorothy October 25th, 2004 02:04 PM

Book quickly! My sister and her husband just booked a cruise with Holland for a May cruise and they got one of the last few balcony rooms on the ship! Apparently they have no trouble selling these cruises out.

What a wonderful daughter you are, BTW!

dorothy

Dot73 October 25th, 2004 03:42 PM

Fabulous idea. I took my parents with me six years ago to Alaska for their first cruise ever and got them hooked on cruising. I think your parents would love Holland America.