Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Default My disappointment with Celebrity

I was very cool, calm and collected when the news of Summit's mechanical problems (and the three day delay in our cruise and cancelation of three of our ports) came through back in September. After all, we were still getting 11 days and still hitting the majority of the important ports. Like many others we rearranged our plans and ,as you all know from my trip report, we still had a fabulous time.
The compensation offered by Celebrity ($500 per cabin onboard credit and 25% off a future cruise) was little compared to the actual loss. Three days of a 14 day cruise was worth a lot more than the $500 in onboard credit and 25% off my next Celebrity cruise won't begin to compensate for my costs incurred in extending our stay in Vancouver by 3 days. Despite this Papa remained cool , calm and collected. We cruised and had a fabulous time.
Onboard ship towards the end of the cruise I heard rumors of more significant compensation being offered to some, but not all, passengers. Not 25% off a future (and for us much less expensive ) cruise, but 25% immediate refund on the current cruise along with $250 in onboard credit. In addition "foriegn" tours were put up in 4 star hotels at Celebrity expense (where we paid our own way for 3 days). All in all a difference in "value" of the additional "deal" (if there was one) about $1000 or more over what we were given. Immediately upon our return I contacted Celebrity only to be told by a quite rude Rep that the deal was available ONLY ONBOARD SHIP. "I should have heard about it and dealt with it onboard".
Well, onboard my Crystal Ball was not plugged in so I had no way of knowing.
I have forwarded five copies of an email to Celebrity over the last 25 days and finally, although I have received no determination, at least got a human to acknowledge receipt of my correspondence. In the meantime our TA has had six conversations with
Celebrity as well. We are getting no where.
All I want is to avail myself of the same offer apparently made to significant numbers of other passengers while onboard. It is worth $1000 or more to me.
I am aware of my "entitlements" (or lack thereof) under the cruise contract. Basically I am simply venting here.
I will not let this frustration dampen my enjoyment of my trip and the wonderfull experience that it was despite the lost days and ports. I am simply venting my frustration with the unreasonable position of Celebrity to my TA. All I am asking is to avail myself of the same choice of offer made to others. In addition I am venting at Celebrity's failure to resond or acknowledge my own correspondence for 25 days.
Gram does not know it, but, I may simply cancel our April 30 cruise on Century and excercise my own option. That option is to not travel Celebrity or RCCL again. There are certainly plenty of other travel options. I will also go from being cool , calm ,collected and mute to sharing quietly my experience with others (as I am doing here).
Still had a wonderful trip, and I won't let anything ruin that.
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: My disappointment with Celebrity

Sorry to hear you're having this problem with Celebrity. If the deal was offered to one person it should have been offered to all others on your sailing. From various posts here it looks like some cruise lines are forgetting about the customer service portion of their companies. Although its sounds like you had a great time, I too would consider canceling with a company who doesn't seem to want to play fair. Good luck to you and I hope you get some satisfaction.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Admiral

PapaBill, I hate it when people&companies are unfair. Good luck with Celebrity.
You can always try another cruiseline. Gram would probably still like to go somewhere!!

Old October 27th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: My disappointment with Celebrity

Brenda, I may cancel the Celebrity cruise, I will definately not deprive Gram of a vacation however. We already have two others planned in 2005 and something would be immediately substituted for the cruise in the same time period. Could even be another cruise. I hear there are other crusielines to choose from.
Old October 27th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Bill.. I have to agree... it IS the pits! Unfortunately the cruise lines are not very good at this sort of thing. Seems it's always a case of the "sqeeky wheel", rather than an across the board reasonable approach, when it comes to problems.

Though I suppose there will always be "unreasonable" people demanding more.

Unfortunately it's not JUST Celebrity... they're all guilty. They're all good when things are going good, and they're all bad when things go bad.

Way back I was on the second sailing of the Century, and we had some problems which I felt needed to be addressed. I wrote Celebrity, and after some time I found I wasn't satisfied with their response. End result.... I didn't step foot on another Celebrity cruise for over 4 years.

And in that time span, we averaged 3 -4 cruises per year, and some of those group cruises, which we arranged on OTHER cruise lines.

When treated in a manner they feel is unfair people should indeed express themselves with their wallets!!

All of that said.. I think you should keep at them! In the "cruise line business" unfortunately 25 days is not alot of time to get a situation dealt with. UGLY I know, but the truth is, it's more likely to take 6 - 8 weeks to get an actual person trying to deal with your problem.

Old October 27th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

I was given this information: to write him a letter:

Jack Williams, President, Celebrity Cruise Lines
c/o Royal Caribbean Cruises International
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132

(305) 539-6000

For better results, keep your letter short, unemotional and factual. If it's a complaint, be sure to include your expectations on a satisfactory resolution to your complaint, if one is desired Hope this gets you somewhere besides stopping your cruise with Celebrity. Good luck.

Old October 27th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Papa Bill I am sorry to hear about your troubles with the cruise line. We have had the same problem on our last cruise. Due to the weather we left on a monday night at 10pm versus saturday evening 5pm. The cruise line gave us a 30% refund. Now this would be o a kay however the cruise a few weeks earlier that had the same problems received a 50% credit plus an onboard credit!!!!! Now do you think this is fair? We originally had booked the Enchantment of the Seas but after loooking at the Caribbean princess we thought we give it a shot because it was a new ship and a longer cruise. We only cruise once a year if that so this last cruise was very disappointing to say the least. Plus we made stops at Ports that we did not care to see. They did give us a $200 p.p credit on our next cruise if we book a balcony cabin. Needless to say we are not looking in booking with Princess again. I do hope you are getting the same as everyone else! Good luck.

June 1st 2015--- Denali Explorer Cruise on Star Princess!

Dec 18, 2014 Caribbean Princess
Old October 27th, 2004, 07:17 PM
SarahJ

We had problems with Celebrity also. They cancelled our cruise once after we had left for our cruise. We did get a free cruise but we were out over $1000 in air in which they would not reinburse us for, nor would insurance. We also lost our vacation days in which we receive only 2 week of it per year. The free cruise did not make up for our inconvenience we had due to the cancelled cruise. Celebritty knows they have problems with this class of ship and thinks they can just cancel a cruise and give people a free cruise and they will be happy verses fixing the situation.
Old October 27th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sarah.. if your cruise was cancelled I have no idea why the insurance wouldn't cover your air.
What was the insurer's explanation?

Old October 27th, 2004, 08:52 PM
SarahJ

We had already used half of our flights to get out to the port and then used them to return the following day plus we had to pay a fee to change our flight to come home. Insurance said that our flights were not cancelled and that we had used our flights which was true. This was the one case in which I wished we had booked the air through the cruise line.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Sorry to hear about your dissapointment with Celebrity. That doesn't make any sense that they would offer compensation to "some" and not to all. Have your TA keep on them until you get a reasonable response, explanation and resolvement of this issue. Sometimes TA's get better results than us "plain-folk".
We were thinking of booking onto this class of ship, but i think we will hold off for a bit and see what happens mechanically.
Old October 28th, 2004, 03:05 PM
David Starkey

I understand your concerns reguarding customer sevice issues with Celebity. We have been on both sides of the issue including a free cruise and no compensation or anything for cruise ship delays. It seems like the line is getting more and more limited what they offer and to whom they give it.

I can remember the "good old days" when things happened on a cruise ship and the passenger got nothing more than "I'm sorry" and thats it.
As lawsuits and litigation(right or wrong) have grown in the cruise industry it seems the lines (bean counters) have more authority than anyone at corporate headquarters.
All said.. I would still sail Celebrity again, but might not be quite as pleased as before.

The free cruise we got (a few years ago) was offered by the line without any action taken on our part. The negitive situation of ship being delayed returning to port was 2 years ago. For that.. we got nothing but a headache. O' well .. I'm over that now and will be sailing my favorite ship the Mercury in July.

Best Wishes

David
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Admiral

All I want is to be offered the same thing that apparently a whole lot of other people were offered, (and to get someone to acknowledge that I even asked) that's all. If they had not "upped" the offer to some folks (but not all), even though I didn't like the origonal offer, I wouldn't even have written this.
Believe it or not, it is not really a money thing. It has come down to me kind of drawing a line in the sand because of the rather rude way I was put off and because I never saw the second offer and I'm PO'd because Celebrity insists that I did. I don't like people telling me what I did and did not see.
Thanks to you all for your kind words and thoghts. It can be cheaper than therapy to just write something out and have you folks offer your words of support.
It's funny. My not sailing Celebrity again will not put them out of business nor will my now not recommending them to friends and colleagues. But, I think I 'll go ahead and do it anyway. It will make me feel better.
Old October 28th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: My disappointment with Celebrity

If the Redsox had not won last night I would also be able to spell. We started work here at midnight last night and will be going 24/7 for at least a week.
"Thoughts" and "you" would be better than "Thoghts" and "your" in my posting above.